CL500 front strut grub screws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
W220 S500
Hello all,

I turn once more to the minefield of information which is mbclub forum members. I need help.
I am in the process of installing Yellowspeed coilovers to my CL500 (2003) and have completed the rears, however having come to the fronts I have hit a snag. There are two 5mm hex grub screws at the bottom of each strut which need to be removed. These screws are covered in thread lock and are nicely rusted in too. I knew I would have this issue before I began the work so I bought a small torch and a few 5mm hex bits and Allen keys in preparation, but to no avail. I have scraped all the rust off with a wire brush, tried to remove the screws first with an Allen key (results attached) then tried with a cheap 5mm hex bit for a ½" drive wrench, broke the bit, same thing happened with a Wera 5mm ½" drive hex bit (which I'm lead to believe are high quality bits) I have tried all of the above with a good soak of WD-40, plenty of heat and I have also tried turning the screws while tapping the back of the strut with a hammer. I have lost all hope on removing these. I went to my local machine Mart and showed them all my broken tools, they had no recommendations either. I am at the mercy of a 5mm grub screw, can someone wiser than myself please make an effort to help me? Thank you all, looking forward to any help you can give IMG_20181104_112356.jpg IMG_20181111_132059.jpg IMG_20181111_132105.jpg

I HATE these things!!!! Since you are replacing could you not replace the bottom arms while you are at it, the ball joints are common to break anyway?

I HATE these things!!!! Since you are replacing could you not replace the bottom arms while you are at it, the ball joints are common to break anyway?
I started to consider this today but for now I just want to get the new coils on, these grub screws on the ball joint are giving me a ball ache, when I'm not as busy I will return and put more new parts on the car but for now these will have to do me

All I can suggest is a massive amount of heat then a big bar, that normally works for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom