CL500 - is it worth restoring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've seen some really clean well maintained CL500's sell for less than £5k, albeit private sales, so you might want to balance that against what you intend to spend. Unless you really enjoy doing projects, and are not concerned with the cost( and you have the room) I'd do a patient search for a really good one and keep the one you have as a donor. Mint ones are getting harder to find as you might expect, but do turn up.
There’s quite a broad price range from what I’ve seen. Anywhere from £4K right up to £20k for pristine, low mileage example. I do tend to look for private sales over a dealer. You can learn more about what you’re getting into from talking to a current owner than you can by a visual inspection on a forecourt.

Oh , sorry . I did not realise the car was in regular use. 👍
Only as a second car. I always keep it road legal. I accept that it might need to be taken off the road for a while. Mine and everyone else’s safety must come first though.

My older version of iCarsoft does not do the suspension 'rodeo' , maybe the newer ones do . But if you were going to go for the full restore I would skip the iCarSoft and go up the food chain a bit with the scan tool.

I paid 7k for mine in February, excellent condition and history but even so I soon found some niggles luckily all were easy to resolve. I went with the newest I could registered 30/12/05!
I do like it a lot but some days I decide to sell to reduce anxiety but then I drive it and get wonderful complements.
Mine is my only car which does add a layer of fear if it ends up needing a lengthy repair.
As a second car I think these are a much better option.

I paid 7k for mine in February, excellent condition and history but even so I soon found some niggles luckily all were easy to resolve. I went with the newest I could registered 30/12/05!
I do like it a lot but some days I decide to sell to reduce anxiety but then I drive it and get wonderful complements.
Mine is my only car which does add a layer of fear if it ends up needing a lengthy repair.
As a second car I think these are a much better option.
If it’s got to be off the road, ideally I’d only like it to be off the road once. Do all the main jobs in one hit as it were. Crystal ball not included.
I’ve been on phone with a friend this morning, and he’s convincing me to persevere, but the right parts, but keep trawling through the classifieds for a cleaner, better cared for example. As long as can keep enjoying this one, it buys me the time to be more patient and thorough in my search.

My older version of iCarsoft does not do the suspension 'rodeo' , maybe the newer ones do . But if you were going to go for the full restore I would skip the iCarSoft and go up the food chain a bit with the scan tool.
Is there a particular one that you would recommend?

We do many CL's here at PCS. Most 215's are not economical to repair but that doesnt stop people spending a lot of money on them. A few we have seen have had serious corrosion issues along the sills. My advice it to get it checked out by a decent independent MB garage to see what repair work is required. A CL will swallow thousands of pounds very easily.

We do many CL's here at PCS. Most 215's are not economical to repair but that doesnt stop people spending a lot of money on them. A few we have seen have had serious corrosion issues along the sills. My advice it to get it checked out by a decent independent MB garage to see what repair work is required. A CL will swallow thousands of pounds very easily.
Thanks, I’m going to see one on Monday.
If you don’t mind, could I ask you a question? I’m assuming from your answer that you either work with Mercedes or at least, have a very good knowledge of the different models. Of all the big engined coupes, which would you say are the best to own?

Thanks, I’m going to see one on Monday.
If you don’t mind, could I ask you a question? I’m assuming from your answer that you either work with Mercedes or at least, have a very good knowledge of the different models. Of all the big engined coupes, which would you say are the best to own?
Black C55 is a very highly respected MB Independent :)

He owns and operates this : https://www.prestigecarservice.co.uk/

Last edited:
Thank you. Clearly a man of incredible knowledge and skills. Sorry if my last comment seemed condescending in any way. I’m truly grateful for your opinions.
Not at all, you cannot be expected to know everyone on here :)

Of all the big engined coupes, which would you say are the best to own?

What do you mean by "of all the big engined coupes?" What brands / what era ?

Can't tell if you're thinking back to the earlier C140, and forward to the C216, or if you're including the BMW 1980's 635 / 1990's 850 / noughts 630?

Easiest to daily run would be a CLK 500 / 55 or E500 coupe (although try finding one!). Based on a C-Class with regular coil suspension.

Thank you. Clearly a man of incredible knowledge and skills. Sorry if my last comment seemed condescending in any way. I’m truly grateful for your opinions.
I would buy a CL500 216 over a 215. Much better built and they dont suffer from so many ABC issues or corrosion.

What do you mean by "of all the big engined coupes?" What brands / what era ?

Can't tell if you're thinking back to the earlier C140, and forward to the C216, or if you're including the BMW 1980's 635 / 1990's 850 / noughts 630?
Sorry, I wasn’t very specific. To say I’m a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to luxury coupes is an understatement. For as long as I can remember, I’d wanted a Mercedes coupe. As I grew older, newer models came out, dreams changed and so on. This c215 is my first big engined coupe, and I’m loving every moment. That feeling like you’ve finally achieved a childhood dream. But know it’s like I’ve caught a bug (and no I don’t mean covid), it’s that feeling you get while driving such a car. So I’m open any era, any model. Ultimately, I’d like a car (big engine coupe) that we can throw a suitcase in the back, and drive 1000 miles if we want to without worry.

Bear in mind that low mileage and greater age increases value:

See this C140 from 1998 on 54k which was auctioned this morning.

Again, I know some people who still run their low mileage C140's as weekend Dad's cars but, by definition, they aren't selling them - because they're worth less to a buyer, than they are to the owner - especially on a car that's only done 2,000 miles a year.

Ref 85 1997 Mercedes-Benz CL 500 SB

25aaea5846f2df9208f7caafa017f5499bd535f1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom