CL500 - is it worth restoring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I only have an iCarSoft but I hear good things about AUTEL , but it's a bit of a rabbit hole to go down . before you know it you have convinced yourself that you NEED Star with Xentry !

:p:p
Thank you. I’m really not the most technically minded, if anything quite the opposite. More mechanically minded. The more basic the better for me. Do you find the icarsoft adequate for most of your requirements?

Bear in mind that low mileage and greater age increases value:

See this C140 from 1998 on 54k which was auctioned this morning.

Again, I know some people who still run their low mileage C140's as weekend Dad's cars but, by definition, they aren't selling them - because they're worth less to a buyer, than they are to the owner - especially on a car that's only done 2,000 miles a year.

Ref 85 1997 Mercedes-Benz CL 500 SB

25aaea5846f2df9208f7caafa017f5499bd535f1.jpg
Beautiful car. Estimates would sadly put it beyond my reach. The Mrs would kill me if I bought that.

Sorry, I wasn’t very specific. To say I’m a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to luxury coupes is an understatement. For as long as I can remember, I’d wanted a Mercedes coupe. As I grew older, newer models came out, dreams changed and so on. This c215 is my first big engined coupe, and I’m loving every moment. That feeling like you’ve finally achieved a childhood dream. But know it’s like I’ve caught a bug (and no I don’t mean covid), it’s that feeling you get while driving such a car. So I’m open any era, any model. Ultimately, I’d like a car (big engine coupe) that we can throw a suitcase in the back, and drive 1000 miles if we want to without worry.
I admire your thoughts , but I don’t think many people would “without worry” commit to 1000 mile journeys in a 2001 ABC equipped car with excellent breakdown cover and a solid B plan .

I wanted a 216 but could only afford an early one which I read suffered with timing chain woes?
So I went with a late 215 which I love but fear is starting to grip!
I cannot fault the engine and box (7g) but ABC keeps me awake, I'd jump at the sacrilege of coilovers if I could find someone willing to do the job....biggest achiles heel then eliminated.
You can drive home with a pse pump dead or door speaker wires cut at the hinge but not with ABC on the floor!

Last edited:
Ultimately, I’d like a car (big engine coupe) that we can throw a suitcase in the back, and drive 1000 miles if we want to without worry.

Simples: £9 or 10k will get you a 2007 CL500 on 60k miles with a decent service history and provenance.

A big reliable luxury car that you can drive anywhere. Keep it five years and it'll still look luxurious

An equivalent S500 might be better value but you're not in the market for a saloon.

MB actually do a rebuilt ABC pump now, circa £500.

the valve blocks can be rebuilt with a set of Viton seals @ about £90 per set.

any decent hydraulic place can make you new pipes (even flexi stuff) like Pirtek.

ABC is great, and now better understood by indies, and with regular fluid changes every few years, will stay good for life.

I‘d certainly prefer to refurb it than go for some compromised coil over system.

@NigelCL the pneumatic pump is LHS of boot (high up behind the side panel) encased/surrounded by foam, it can suffer getting wet via boot seal. Once wet it can short/fail.
may be worthwhile checking the area out, as the CD changer & amp are below it and if very wet they can suffer too.

wet front foot wells - check your pollen filter and the drains below the windscree. Once pollen filter clogged with leaves it can overflow an soak your carpets- which can soak the ECU,

The 215 is utterly beautiful, effortless, & cosseting ...... still miss mine.

Simples: £9 or 10k will get you a 2007 CL500 on 60k miles with a decent service history and provenance.

A big reliable luxury car that you can drive anywhere. Keep it five years and it'll still look luxurious

An equivalent S500 might be better value but you're not in the market for a saloon.

It was always the appeal of the pillerless coupe for me originally. But I’ve never driven an S class, so you can never say never....

Hi , do as PCS advises starting with the must do , can wait a bit , that would be nice.

If you purchase another car of the same model you could be worse off than you are now !

Best of luck

Make it a youth hostel , that will keep more of your hard earned cash for repairs ;)
I wanted a 216 but could only afford an early one which I read suffered with timing chain woes?
So I went with a late 215 which I love but fear is starting to grip!
I cannot fault the engine and box (7g) but ABC keeps me awake, I'd jump at the sacrilege of coilovers if I could find someone willing to do the job....biggest achiles heel then eliminated.
You can drive home with a pse pump dead or door speaker wires cut at the hinge but not with ABC on the floor!
I’ve seen the coilovers available in the US. It’s the removal of the hydraulic system that worries me. I believe it starts with changing the power steering pump and basically working along the system methodically. Some reviews say that it ruins the ride quality. I prefer to think that it’s merely a compromise worth taking to negate an ABC failure.
MB actually do a rebuilt ABC pump now, circa £500.

the valve blocks can be rebuilt with a set of Viton seals @ about £90 per set.

any decent hydraulic place can make you new pipes (even flexi stuff) like Pirtek.

ABC is great, and now better understood by indies, and with regular fluid changes every few years, will stay good for life.

I‘d certainly prefer to refurb it than go for some compromised coil over system.

@NigelCL the pneumatic pump is LHS of boot (high up behind the side panel) encased/surrounded by foam, it can suffer getting wet via boot seal. Once wet it can short/fail.
may be worthwhile checking the area out, as the CD changer & amp are below it and if very wet they can suffer too.

wet front foot wells - check your pollen filter and the drains below the windscree. Once pollen filter clogged with leaves it can overflow an soak your carpets- which can soak the ECU,

The 215 is utterly beautiful, effortless, & cosseting ...... still miss mine.
Thank you. The ABC system is incredibly complex but also incredibly clever. A feature I would prefer to keep if possible.
The boot is currently devoid of all panels whilst I chase the electrical system. The insulation around the pneumatic pump is dry. Any water ingress was on the drivers side, dripping onto the positive wire distribution box mounted on the wheel well. It had this fuse blowing issue when I first got the car. It turned out to be a duff battery on that occasion. Brand new battery this time so I can eliminate that one. I’ll certainly be checking it out while it’s easily accessible. It sounds like it can’t hold a vacuum so I’ll check air lines and go from there.
And thanks for advice about the pollen filter. I’ll check that before stripping the dash out. I’m really hoping you’re right as the car isn’t using any water.

Hi , do as PCS advises starting with the must do , can wait a bit , that would be nice.

If you purchase another car of the same model you could be worse off than you are now !

Best of luck
You’re right. I do love this car. And I’d happily spend all £10k in it (hopefully not all at once) if I knew it would then last another 10 years.

It's important to drive cars that you're considering. The facelift C215 is quite a different thing to yours, and the C216 is a very different thing altogether.

Own and maintain whatever you fancy, just be aware that the 2003 onward CL500 feels like a more refinedt car to the model that you own, even if it does look the same.

If you're thinking of a ten year commit, it's well worth driving at least a couple of alternatives.

Last edited:
It's important to drive cars that you're considering. The facelift C215 is quite a different thing to yours, and the C216 is a very different thing altogether.

Own and maintain whatever you fancy, just be aware that the 2003 onward CL500 feels like a more refinedt car to the model that you own, even if it does look the same.

If you're thinking of a ten year commit, it's well worth driving at least a couple of alternatives.
Sorry for not knowing any better, but it that a C216 in your picture?

Sorry for not knowing any better, but it that a C216 in your picture?
No need to apologise, life is about learning new stuff.

This is the C216. This is an example of a 2010 CL500 C216, which sold for £11k with 60k miles on the clock.

They launched the C216 in 2007, at the same time as the S Class update - the CL is a coupe body on an S class underpinnings, engine, electrics etc etc.

Click on the link for more detailed photos of the bodywork and interior.

Ref 42 2010 Mercedes-Benz CL500 DL

47a65df08aca759551732a3672b9bff5b59cfb5c.jpg

No need to apologise, life is about learning new stuff.

This is the C216. This is an example of a 2010 CL500 C216, which sold for £11k with 60k miles on the clock.

They launched the C216 in 2007, at the same time as the S Class update - the CL is a coupe body on an S class underpinnings, engine, electrics etc etc.

Click on the link for more detailed photos of the bodywork and interior.

Ref 42 2010 Mercedes-Benz CL500 DL

47a65df08aca759551732a3672b9bff5b59cfb5c.jpg
Stunning car, thank you.

Thank you. I’m really not the most technically minded, if anything quite the opposite. More mechanically minded. The more basic the better for me. Do you find the icarsoft adequate for most of your requirements?
More than adequate but my car is a little more analogue than a CL500 of similar vintage, suspension brakes etc.

Thanks. It would no doubt be more than adequate for me too. Certainly in the short term.
Nigel

If you buy an Icarsoft just ensure it is bought from the UK importers as there are cloned units being sold.

David

Nigel

If you buy an Icarsoft just ensure it is bought from the UK importers as there are cloned units being sold.

David
Much appreciated, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom