CL500 - My ULEZ Friend!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All the small details, I received a new engine badge in the post today. Pretty minor but looks loads better!

Original badge was letting the OCD side down.

c7OJ4oU.jpg

Much better.

iOtpWiu.jpg

lLmOV7w.jpg

Next up is assigning my number plate.

Put some OEM floormats, rather ridiculous lookin' aftermarket....
I've got OEM mats but these are more practical. I'll replace the OEMs with some some new custom mats eventually not jet black AMG ones it came with.

It's officially mine now I've got my plate on and some new number plate frames!

j65WqGy.jpg

bCkOCOO.jpg

I'm surprised the previous plate on the back stayed on, it was held on by about 1cm of double sided tape and some prayers it seems!

Looking good, Alex. 🙂👍

Hold up a minute. You're saying W221 boot mats are a direct fit in the CL? 😯

I've been looking for yonks for a mat for my CL. 😵
Sorry to break it to you but it does appear that is the case!! haha

I was going to look for a boot protector for the CL but thought I'd try the S Class (221) I already had, just in case. Turns out it fits just fine.

Even the floor mats are almost a direct fit, the rears are a little big but the front are identical.

Well, the C216 is really just a SWB W221 for the owner driver without children…

All S-Class's from the 560SEL ( 560 SEC ) up until the W222 ( S-Coupe ) where S-Class Coupe's

They have now stoped the S-Class Coupe and replaced it with the New SL55 which has a;so replaced the Old SL.

Well, the C216 is really just a SWB W221 for the owner driver without children…
Or for one who has children but karts them around in the other half's ML or my old Shogun! haha

I've actually ordered some more conventional luxurious mats for the CL. It came with some AMG mats which were a bit tatty but also black so don't match the interior. I found a firm called Autostyle which came up a few times on a rather large detailing forum. A bit of back and forth on e-mail and I received some samples. The new ones should be with me, in about 7 days.

il5M9KV.jpg

With the help of the Detailing World forum, I came across Autostyle and their mats. I contacted them about colours as couldn't quite tell from their site what would work. Ended up going for 'Supreme Light Grey' with silver edging. Can't quite see it in the pics but they're a nice blend of grey and silver. Lovely thick quality too, I'll just use the rubber mats as over mats now, especially as we're approaching Autumn!

8SJkXIF.jpg

gQrFriq.jpg

gUG7RXf.jpg

Wm4hCMP.jpg

Little bit of cleaning on the CL this weekend and some random pics.

8UyQeD1.jpg

NmTrtrQ.jpg

bX8zwNU.jpg

QsOODcZ.jpg

This stuff smells amazing!

ABmNrkO.jpg

Someone on a FB post said they weren't sure about the matt colours, oddly they're as grey as I am. Not beige as the pics look in the car haha

FRKsquv.jpg

uR5NT29.jpg

Hi Alex,
Where did you get the Mercedes badge for the engine cover from? Mine has disintegrated like yours has

Just off eBay mate, wasn't too expensive but the images on the ads are blurred as they're probably not meant to be selling them. I strongly suspect it's not an OEM part but they don't seem to sell them officially. Probably to tell you an entire engine cover! :(

Have a look on there, I'll try and find the exact one I bought although you'll need to measure it as they sell in multiple sizes.

Thanks! I need to know the size as mine has completely gone.
Nice car btw! Where abouts are you, im Junction 6 M25

Litterally just around the corner.
Can you share the details of your leather repair guy? I have a couple of bits on another car I would love to get looked at, and he looks decent.

“EU regs, Guv.” The bloke who drives one mile in London during one day in an older car pays the same ULEZ charge as the driver of an old delivery van doing 100 miles in a day. And, of course, the Amazon driver doing 200 miles in a newer van in the most congested areas and at the most congested times pays no ULEZ at all. Because it’s all about the rate per km emitted, not the total amount actually emitted by that driver on that day.

No reference to the distances, the crowding or the time of day. And all done, as always, as a “justifiable” means of raising “green tax” income to finance the vote winning projects of local politicians.

For sure we need to reduce traffic levels, and we do need to find ways to subsidise clean, frequent and safe public transport, but this is a cack-handed way of doing it,

As an example, by taxing normal people off the roads, we’ve “driven” the young into working and living in city centres rather than the ‘burbs or regions because that’s where the public transport is. “Unintended consequences.”

Great C216 though, stylish colour choice, and personally I think the 5.5 is the better driver’s engine than the later 4.7, so good choice.

As a BTW,, to answer your question, I think soft close was standard on these.
Interesting. I was just thinking that an N/A 5.5 might have more "instant" power delivery than a notionally more powerful but bi turbo 4.7. Whilst forced induction has come on a long way there is still always just that hint of lag particularly if you are used to an N/A engine or better still a supecharged motor (55k). I say this as a past CLS 55 owner but now a CLS 500 4.7 biturbo driver

Hi , I just love coupes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom