CL500 or CL55AMG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
So it's time to change my E280 and I really, really would like a black CL55AMG. The problem is my budget won't stretch to a 03 Kompressor so its down to a choice of 302BHP CL500 or 356BHP 5.5L 02 reg CL55AMG.
I know which one I want, but just what are the advantages of those extra 50BHP and that AMG badge? Cost wise I reckon they add around £2k plus to a similar spec CL500 and I really can't justify that.

Anyone here have any ownership experience of either car? Pro's and Con's for either (yes I know the MPG isn't great:eek:) and anything in particular to look out for when viewing these models.
I was pleasantly surprised to get a quote of £312 fully comp with the missus named, so the insurance cost isn't a problem.

Thanks for any insights and info.

Last edited:
Guessing you're thinking of the CL55 AMG rather than C55 AMG.

Never owned either, but I can say I'd rather have the extra 50bhp than not, but if you can't justify the extra cost, the CL500 would still be a lovely car.

Do be aware though that repairs might not be cheap if required on a car at this level, so do budget a little extra to keep just in case - or for a warranty.

Good luck with whichever you decide.

PS AMGs have always surprised me at the cost of insurance too.

Rust problems was the only reason I did not go and buy one of these beautiful coupes. Shame really I would have liked one.

I have the CL500, probably the most compfy car i have driven. As for power to be honest i was expecting something a bit sluggish. My last car was an E55 AMG (370ish BHP) and a Nissan Skyline (550 BHP) and although the CL500 isn`t a patch on the Skyline it would be a close call between the E55 so although the CL is only 300 BHP i find it plenty. So if thats your concern forget it!!
Place to look for rust is bottom of the C pillars and arches, mine have been done under warrenty but have a good look on any you view. Fuel consumption? to be honest if you are going to run any 5ltr car then this has to be the last of your worries, if you have to think about it then look for a smaller car! But realistically expect anywhere between 12-20 running round (depends how you drive) and high 20`s touching 30 on a steady run, but why drive a 5ltr steady!!!!
The plus side is you will feel like you are driving sat on your sofa, very smooth and with all the lighting in the cabin you feel enclosed in your own little world.
You will love either of these cars but don`t spend the extra just for power, 500 has plenty.

Bob

I'd go for the CL55.

The extra AMG touches really get the car off and make it special. Not to mention then, the extra oomph behind your foot that only comes from an AMG.

I'd go with the AMG version too. If you don't you'll wish you had 6 months down the line when you see someone elses.

I'd go for the CL500, with the caveat mentioned previously about body perforation (not sure you can call it rust on an aluminium-bodied car).

Either make sure the MobilioLife is still valid so yuo can have these problems dealt with under warranty or try and find out (trickier) if these problems have been dealt with in the past.

I own a CL500 and have driven a CL55 and I prefer the CL500. The extra power of the CL55 isn't that much and I find the AMG body skirts cheap and aftermarket looking.

:D Looks about 50/50 as to choice. I did read the thread here re rust problems and will certainly have a good look over the cars.
I think the obvious next step is to get some sort of test drive in each model to get a better idea. Not sure the local Merc dealer will be too keen on that as I'll probably buy private anyway. Sure is a buyers market right now with the proposed tax increases due next April, although I did read that may be delayed a year now.
Strange there is no difference at all in insurance quotes between models?

The other thing to think about is cost, 02/03 cars seem to be at that funny point where the AMG is not much more, give it another 3 years or so and I bet you find the CL55 is worth twice what the CL500 is.
It will always be more desirable as they get older.

I find the AMG body skirts cheap and aftermarket looking.

Looks pretty good to me...

387765-1.jpg

387765-2.jpg

452407-2.jpg

452407-5.jpg

Looks pretty good to me...

They look nice in photographs and the design appears to be nicely integrated. However I've had occasion to live with two, a Silver CL55 and a Burgundy CL65 and the quality wasn't that good to my eyes. The colours weren't a good match and the fit wasn't of a quality I would expect either.

Judging by the responses looks like a close call.
Is it not possible to get a CL500 with the AMG kit?

I'd go for the 500 as well as you're talking about the non-s/c 55.

However, allow me to stress the running costs of these things. If you're concerned about the extra £2k to get the AMG you should be aware that sort of money can get swallowed up very easily if/when the car goes wrong.

Hold on to your cash at the moment. Wait 6 months if you don't need the CL right away. Early Kompressor 55s will be within your current budget when the recession is in full swing next year. CL55K is a lot more enjoyable.

I'd go for the 500 as well as you're talking about the non-s/c 55.

However, allow me to stress the running costs of these things. If you're concerned about the extra £2k to get the AMG you should be aware that sort of money can get swallowed up very easily if/when the car goes wrong.

It was more a case of what am I getting extra for that £2k more than being worried about running costs. I'm aware there will be a big hike in fuel compared to my E280, and any mechanical problems will be costly. Also tyres are not a cheap item either, especially on 19's.

Hold on to your cash at the moment. Wait 6 months if you don't need the CL right away. Early Kompressor 55s will be within your current budget when the recession is in full swing next year. CL55K is a lot more enjoyable.

That is what I'm hoping. Its really the Kompressor 55 I would like, but they are around 5k over my present limit. There is no rush, and I have noticed prices dropping on the big engined motors already.

That looks to be a decent price for a lovely looking CL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom