CL500 W215 Battery Problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goenry

Car
CL500
Hi All,

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later - my CL has finally given me a problem! after a year and 4 months tho, I think its managed to surprise me by not breaking down earlier!

So - last week on friday I got to the car, opened the boot using my Keyless Go and then tried to shut it. only thing was, the boot didnt close - the usual soft close didnt happen and i couldnt open the boot again until i tried the mechanical Key. tried to start the engine - lights come on in the dash, turn to ignition on and the car ticks once before all lights go off in the dash and nothing happens. it also did this thing where the speedometer needle was flickering between the 0-10mph dial and then stopping.

I had to go to work so left the car and went back to it sunday to try and get it going again, I managed to jump start the car and left it on for 40 mins, checked the car over and then turned it off and on again. 6 hours later i tried to start the car but it didnt like it.

I borrowed a friend's AC charger and left it on 12V lo trickle overnight yesterday and this morning, reconnected all the bits and tried to start the car again. same problem, engine doesnt turn over, the flickering needle - bits of electronics work and doesnt (boot soft closed, but windows didnt automatically do that close thing they do) I turned on the comand and it said 'low voltage, please start engine or it will turn off in 3 minutes'.

does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I'm not really a hands on type, and would like to just get it to the garage and have them fix it but would be good to know what the problem may be first so i can be prepared for the costs!

thanks in advance!

Sounds to me like your battery has given up the ghost. Try eurocarparts or gsf for a price for a new one. You have a lot of electrical stuff on this car so i suspect the battery is past its best. Would be my first action to be honest.

Can I just confirm, to make sure I'm not missing something, theres only 1 battery in the CL500 right?​

yes in the boot. Cosco do a 100A battery I think its around £90 with 3 year guarantee

Worth looking in the hand book as may depend on year my SL has two. One for starting and one for AUX, like roof operation. The Aux one in the boot died last year and was always getting messages if I left the car for a couple of days. "comfort features not available". Twin batteries fitted for R230 SL and Cl may be similar except that no folding roof of course so may be no need unless loaded up with other electrical bits.
Don

Hi All,

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later - my CL has finally given me a problem! after a year and 4 months tho, I think its managed to surprise me by not breaking down earlier!

So - last week on friday I got to the car, opened the boot using my Keyless Go and then tried to shut it. only thing was, the boot didnt close - the usual soft close didnt happen and i couldnt open the boot again until i tried the mechanical Key. tried to start the engine - lights come on in the dash, turn to ignition on and the car ticks once before all lights go off in the dash and nothing happens. it also did this thing where the speedometer needle was flickering between the 0-10mph dial and then stopping.

I had to go to work so left the car and went back to it sunday to try and get it going again, I managed to jump start the car and left it on for 40 mins, checked the car over and then turned it off and on again. 6 hours later i tried to start the car but it didnt like it.

I borrowed a friend's AC charger and left it on 12V lo trickle overnight yesterday and this morning, reconnected all the bits and tried to start the car again. same problem, engine doesnt turn over, the flickering needle - bits of electronics work and doesnt (boot soft closed, but windows didnt automatically do that close thing they do) I turned on the comand and it said 'low voltage, please start engine or it will turn off in 3 minutes'.

does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I'm not really a hands on type, and would like to just get it to the garage and have them fix it but would be good to know what the problem may be first so i can be prepared for the costs!

thanks in advance!

Hello,

I had a similar problem in a B CLASS. It was not the battery, but actually the cables that go from the battery to the engine. It had been chewed by foxes or rats or cats or something like that. It's an expensive fix. Good luck!:thumb:

I got myself a new battery and fitted it and everything seems to be running fine again! I will probably still take it to an indie to have it looked over just in case something else might happen to the car... thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom