CL55 AMG (2001) ABC red light. What can I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brid

Car
CL55 AMG
Just bought a 2001 CL55 AMG last month for the sum of 4200 pounds. Cheap at the time. I thought!

So, a 700 mile drive completed this weekend, and yesterday morning right before we did the final 300 miles the yellow ABC light comes on. I stop the car, turn it off and on and it goes away. I'm thinking this is a 12 year old car with 137k miles on it, so the odd 'turn it off and on' could be all it needs.

I do the 300 mile drive and the final 5 minutes I suddenly get a RED ABC light, telling me to be careful, and the car suddenly starts handling like a shed on wheels. I get it home (yes, I know I should have had it towed, but it was 7pm on a sunday night).

So, I'm wondering what my next move might be given that the repair costs here might be the same as the car actually cost in the first place. Given that It needs another 2-3k spent on it on top of this to get it to a point where I'm happy with it - I'm not sure if just going in and paying to get it fixed is viable for me.

Is there any recourse with the ABC recall that took place in 2008. If this was not done would I be able to get any leverage from MB. How about goodwill repairs or repair assistance? I obviously walked into this with my eyes open about potential costs, but would rather not spend money I don't have to if possible.

Help!

Hi get in touch with Olly at Prestige Cars near Portsmouth he will put you right.He is on here at Blackc55.

Have you checked the basics? fluid level? all links in place? Then get it to your local independent. Olly sounds like he is close.

You need to get it plugged in.

Do you have breakdown cover?

Yep, I have breakdown cover as provided with my bank account. Not sure if that is too basic to have it towed to a garage tho.

Luckily, I'm literally 1km from Mercedes Benz of Ascot so it's a short enough trip to a garage. Is it too dangerous to drive there? I'm assuming so.

It might be the straw that broke the camels back. If you can get low loaded to Ascot and find out what it needs. Then get in touch with Olly for a realistic quote and take from there.

There is a saying especially appropriate to the W215's. " Buy cheap buy often "

Good luck.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take it to a main dealer for diagnostics - imho, they're extortianate - use an Indy

I wouldn't take it to a main dealer for diagnostics - imho, they're extortianate - use an Indy

+1

If you can get low loaded take it to Oll'y. highly recommended.

Do NOT take it to the 'stealer' because if you do its next trip will be to the breakers (after you've seen there quote:eek:)...

If you have any form of breakdown cover you should be able to get it towed to closest MB indie, use one that is recommended, if olly is closest then give him a call asap....

Get ready to spend some cash.... Had this happen to me afew months ago!

Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and face the financial music.

Olly is a bit too far away as I'm just outside of London and he's in Portsmouth. As you say though might be worthwhile getting MB to tell me what's up with it first before taking it from there.

The previous owner told me that the guy before him had the ABC hoses done recently so that might at least rule one thing out at least, but obviously still leaves a whole load more of pricey things.

I wouldn't go anywhere near a main dealer with it. Get it to an Indy, get it on star and then decide if you fix or break it. There is another CL owner on here who had their pump refurbished in Germany for a very low price recently.

Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and face the financial music.

Olly is a bit too far away as I'm just outside of London and he's in Portsmouth. As you say though might be worthwhile getting MB to tell me what's up with it first before taking it from there.

The previous owner told me that the guy before him had the ABC hoses done recently so that might at least rule one thing out at least, but obviously still leaves a whole load more of pricey things.

If you have breakdown cover you can get it recovered here if its any help?

Dropped it off at Mercedes this morning, and had the call back just then.

Leaking ABC pump. Cost to have this replaced is just under 1300 quid including parts and labour. They are trying to add a bunch of things to that list they say need doing (gaiters and front strut) and will come back to me tomorrow with a full breakdown.

Is this car now worth more as parts, than it is me dropping another 4 grand on it to make it worth less than 5-6k to another owner? At this point I'm wondering if the 'joy' of ownership is worth it. Might be more valuable as a donor for someone elses pride and joy.

Don't really understand why you have done this? if you look at my comments and others on here the 'stealer' outcome you have was already forecast....we are trying to help you.

Olly has tried to assist but surely there are MB indie's local to you in London?....forget the quote from MB as it will demine the car as scrap.

Do NOT take it to the 'stealer' because if you do its next trip will be to the breakers (after you've seen there quote:eek:)...

If you have any form of breakdown cover you should be able to get it towed to closest MB indie, use one that is recommended, if olly is closest then give him a call asap....

Yep, I'm with you on that. I was willing to bear the cost from MB to get it diagnosed as I really just don't have the time to arrange things being shipped to and from other garages. What I was worried about is having something shipped to a good indie and then being in a position to decide not to get it repaired and having to then pay just to get it back, or shipped off somewhere else.

So, with that out of the way - The quote for ABC seems a little suspiciously on the low side to me, given the part itself is pretty expensive in the first place, and then there is fluid and lines to consider? Or have MB dropped the price in recent times?

Did a quick search for you off here....found indie in Harrow, not sure how far that is, but I think they are forum members, I have never used but they have good reviews...gotta be worth a call tomorrow...

About Us | Wayne Gates – Specializing in Mercedes Benz

I've just been hearing rave reviews about this place and from people not on the forum so it would appear you have an Indie with a solid reputation close by to you, now forget the dealers and give Wayne Gates a ring:thumb:

This car is now for SALE for parts. If anyone wants it, let me know, otherwise I'll be using it as a trade in at Mercedes for something new.

Offside front strut is gone, exhaust needs replacing, and the ABC issues as well as other bits and pieces have a quote from Mercedes for 9 grand. Yes I'm completely aware this is 'stealer' prices, but even if the indie quotes were half to one third of that price it's not economical for me.

So you have a very nice interior here, all panels, dash and chassis / wheels etc etc. The car drives but It's not advised for very far, so better to have it trailered off for your own piece of mind.

I'll delete this if it breaks the rules, but would rather it goes to an enthusiast than to a scrap heap via my stealer.

How much are you selling it for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom