Cl55 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ollie CLK320

Car
Mercedes CLK320 and Mercedes 420SEL
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and would be grateful for any input on running costs of CL55 AMGs (2003) please.

I have been considering upgrading my rather ordinary CLK320 for some time but must say the ABC problems do put me off a little.

Realistically would I be able to get a warranty that would cover the ABC problems and if so what would I be looking at price wise for it on a monthly basis? Alternatively if I were to keep it for 5 years and drive it 8000 a year what would you say the average running costs would be per annum please?

Really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,

Ollie

Hi Ollie...welcome to the forum.

Running a 55k engine isn't cheap but the positives are so rewarding!

Budget for 12 - 15 around town and 20 - 24 on a run. I have yet to see above 22.2mpg yet!

Warranty direct are said to be the best aftermarket warranty company and you can reckon on £1k -£1200 pa for a decent warranty. Whether ABC struts and SBC pumps are covered I couldn't say, but those are the most likely items to cost you money.
Myself, I put by a set amount and forget it knowing its there should my airmatic or SBC braking let me down.

Hi AMGeed,

Thank you for your reply. I will have a look into warranties.

Many thanks,

Ollie

Hi Ollie,

I've been running a cl55k for a good few years now and can confirm they are fantastic cars ...nothing comes close :D

It's my daily drive and I love it, running costs can be a little high. I get low 20's mpg on a decent run and have only seen 27mpg once!!?? - but if you're worried about consumption then an AMG isn't the car

The horror stories about abc systems and struts aren't that bad. I've recently replaced a rear strut for my mot, which was $650 shipped from the states?? better than the £1400 which MB wanted :eek:

Servicing isn't that bad either, all depends on the service which needs doing (A or B) ranges from a c.£200 upwards...get a good indie to look after it which will reduce costs dramatically - happy days

Get a good one and you won't regret it!

Jitzz

AS above. Get it checked out before you buy it, so there aren't any surprises and enjoy.

Jitzz, are you on the CL Register ?

These are fantastic cars but the running costs and possible problems are the reason they are so cheap to buy.

May I suggest two things:

1 - Put aside a substantial amount for contingencies. On a car costing, say, £5k - £8k, I don't think £5k is excessive for peace of mind.

2 - Once you've located a car you fancy, ask the seller to allow you to take it to an indie for a STAR diagnosis. Won't cost a lot but will indicate any immediate issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom