CL55 Boot Diagram - as found a loose pipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteCL55AMG

Car
CL55 AMG
Hi All

After some help as recently replaced my battery on my 2002 CL55 AMG which is in the boot but found my doors were not locking anymore from the key fob.

I have since noticed there is a small diameter clear pipe loose next to the battery, guessing this is to do with the vacuum pump

So looking for a diagram or some knowledge as to where this goes, looks like I need to remove a few inner panels to get at it and remove the battery again.

Any help gladly received.

The PSE pump is on the opposite side of the boot. Check that the foam around it is dry.

the amp, and CD player live below it - check that area is dry too,
!

Thanks Fly, now I know that pipe isn’t anything to do with the problem, had a look at the CD changer & amp this afternoon, which looked fine to my untrained eye, but couldn’t eject the cd case.

I did some traces of water though so need to work out where that is coming from.

The foam casing around the PSE pump although still there is ripped in half so sure that doesn’t help but couldn’t see any obvious issues other than there is one small pipe that goes from one inlet to the next and that is crimped so cannot be doing any good so not sure if related. Just going to look at some PSE pump photos now.

Any thoughts? Will take photos soon.

The PSE pump is on the opposite side of the boot. Check that the foam around it is dry.

!

!
Thanks Flyinspanner, now I know that pipe isn’t anything to do with the problem, had a look at the CD changer & amp this afternoon, which looked fine to my untrained eye, but couldn’t eject the cd case.

I did some traces of water though so need to work out where that is coming from.

The foam casing around the PSE pump although still there is ripped in half so sure that doesn’t help but couldn’t see any obvious issues other than there is one small pipe that goes from one inlet to the next and that is crimped so cannot be doing any good so not sure if related. Just going to look at some PSE pump photos now.

Any thoughts? Will take photos soon.

Just reading some other previous post threads on here and can see the PSE pump controls a few different thingsso pretty this is where my issue lies.

This is a list of what doesn’t seem to be working:

- central locking from key fob
- central locking button inside car
- rear head restraints (never worked dice I bought my CL
- Soft Close doors not working

I have checked all fuses under rear seat and all were fine. One fuse seemed to be missing on far right. Replaced with 25 and didn’t seem to make a difference (thought this might be head restraints).
- CD changer case won’t eject, I don’t use this normally so first time I have noticed this.
- Radio/Sat Nav ‘sound’ not working, which I wouldn’t have thought isn’t related. It was working when I bought the CL, then stopped one day, came on again one morning out of the blue, now gone again! 😩

Will check fuses in engine compartment tomorrow too.

Not sure if this extra info helps to find the route of the problem?

Maybe check your VIN, not all CLs have rear headrests that will raise via the switch, it was an option, some (like mine) have to be raised manually, but will ‘drop’ via the switch under gravity. They are latched up, the switch disengages it.

water around the CD/Amp wants sorting soon! - the amps blow and they can be tricky to find a replacement.
(I had to modify the socket of a same year CLK Bose amp, carefully trimming keyways - my original had died but got lost when sent for repair).

when you try to eject the CD magazine, can you hear a motor run? Maybe try whilst very gently wiggling the magazine.

😎
My CD player started sticking, so I did fit a rebuilt CD player, I’ll try to find the seller and post it up. Wasn’t too ££. plays perfect.

Here he is, not sure if he has one at the moment, mine was £45, deffo not a wallet buster.

It arrived promptly, well packaged. The Players may all be interchangeable - maybe it’s just a bracket difference? Think they may all be Sony Units just ensure it is an optical output.
they take about 15 mins to swap over, think it was 6 bolts and 2 plugs.

The players for the CL500 (W215) and the S Class W220 are the same.

Maybe check your VIN, not all CLs have rear headrests that will raise via the switch, it was an option, some (like mine) have to be raised manually, but will ‘drop’ via the switch under gravity. They are latched up, the switch disengages it.

water around the CD/Amp wants sorting soon! - the amps blow and they can be tricky to find a replacement.
(I had to modify the socket of a same year CLK Bose amp, carefully trimming keyways - my original had died but got lost when sent for repair).

when you try to eject the CD magazine, can you hear a motor run? Maybe try whilst very gently wiggling the magazine.

😎
My CD player started sticking, so I did fit a rebuilt CD player, I’ll try to find the seller and post it up. Wasn’t too ££. plays perfect.
Thanks, I didn’t know that about rear headrests so will check, that might explain why they don’t move ! I will check if I can lift manually and they drop via the switch too.

Ref Amp, I wasn’t aware of a water problem here, but first time I have taken inner panel off, so might just be a coincidence after all the recent rain, so will keep a close eye on this to see if Zi have a problem.

There is no sound when you try and eject the magazine so doesn’t even appear to be trying so will give it a wiggle.

I am not that worried about having the cd changer working as looking to link my iPhone to to the amp instead which I understand is possible.

Out of interest what CL model and year do you have?

CL500, 2001. In Chalcedony Blue, Pale Grey interior.
This was it last month in the New Forest.

sadly it’s going to be moved on, due to me needing more load space.
😭 ...... I’ve been putting off serious marketing, (love it too much).

Attachments

• A33FC04F-51AE-480C-BAA5-9FD65FCD8B73.jpeg
    A33FC04F-51AE-480C-BAA5-9FD65FCD8B73.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
CL500, 2001. In Chalcedony Blue, Pale Grey interior.
This was it last month in the New Forest.

sadly it’s going to be moved on, due to me needing more load space.
😭 ...... I’ve been putting off serious marketing, (love it too much).
Looks superb, fab wheels, u can see why you will be sorry to see it go.

I took a while to find mine, absolutely love it, I wanted something with a big V8, quick, stylish, sporty with room in the back to house teenagers/adults so absolutely love mine, only had it just over a year and still learning and getting to know it.

How long have you had it and what are you looking to get next for added load space?

Had it for just over 5 years.
probably need an estate/van for new career..... 🙄

(I keep searching C class 320 estates and E class too).... but don’t want to wreck it 🤯.... decisions. Decisions.

Well needs must I guess as our lives needs change. If I see anything that fits the bill, will let you know. Best of luck will the sell and finding replacement.

Worked out why the pipe was crimped from other posts on here, only have two doors on my CL, so they are not needed. Not sure if supposed to a pipe on at all?

Just keeping this thread moving with an update.

So further examination and clearly the PSE Pump is having issues but oddly doesn't appear to be blowing the fuse which I gather is unusual. Just found from another thread a Chap who repairs PSE Pumps, so removed it yesterday which was straight-forward and sent it to him to take a look at. He offers a service on ebay where you send it to him and he will diagnose the issue for £14.95 and let you know if repairable and if so the cost, so you can then way up against sourcing a replacement. So I will let you know how that goes and will gladly recommend if this is a positive experience (so far so good as just spoke to him) as this seems to be a common issue on CLs and SLs.

I also learnt from him that the 'foam surround' is only to protect the pump from vibration, so not a huge issue if its not in tip top shape.

To be continued....

Just keeping this thread moving with an update.

So further examination and clearly the PSE Pump is having issues but oddly doesn't appear to be blowing the fuse which I gather is unusual. Just found from another thread a Chap who repairs PSE Pumps, so removed it yesterday which was straight-forward and sent it to him to take a look at. He offers a service on ebay where you send it to him and he will diagnose the issue for £14.95 and let you know if repairable and if so the cost, so you can then way up against sourcing a replacement. So I will let you know how that goes and will gladly recommend if this is a positive experience (so far so good as just spoke to him) as this seems to be a common issue on CLs and SLs.

I also learnt from him that the 'foam surround' is only to protect the pump from vibration, so not a huge issue if its not in tip top shape.

To be continued....
Fab news as central locking all working now. Found a terrific chap called Fawad (engineer) who knows these pumps inside and out. All repaired for £240. Popped it back in last night and hey presto! He asked if I needed the soft close on the doors as this puts extra strain on these pumps and if not he can adjust for longer shelf life, so I took that option. Will post details later for Fawad’s contact as if you have PSE pump issues on CL or SL he is brilliant and a real gent to deal with. I did this all via post 😃.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom