CL55 or CLS55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ierton

Car
Volvo V60 T6 Recharge - BMW 1250GS
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a CL55 or CLS55 - are there any owners out there with pearls of wisdom? I've heard about the corrosion and ABC issues on the W215 - does the CLS suffer from the same thing? Admittedly it's not as pretty, however they have their advantages.

Thanks.

You need to Consider the CLS is a much more modern later series car. I had a CLS55 in 2006 and now have a 2006 CL500 and it's evident even though they are the same year the CLS is later mb design inside and out.
Also consider the CLS suspension is cheaper to look after than the CL ABC
Surely the main diff to you is if you need 4 doors or 2 ?

Thanks.

Number of doors is not a consideration to be honest. Reliability, performance and running costs between the two more interesting.

I've driven a CLS320CDi - it was a bit claustrophobic, however the equivalent V8 is lighter than the 215 and a bit more modern.

How do the two compare as a daily driver - if you used them as such?

I had the CLS for 2 years and I've had the CL for just a week, performance apart the CLS is far sportier than a CL which is a gentlemens tourer - you need to also note the supercharged engine is one of the finest you will drive (if on form) I missed it do much I got the SL55 as my garage queen and the whine is addictive.
If you don't need 4 seats look at the SL they are dirt cheap at the mo

CLS55 they are great to drive and not barge like which the CL class may be more like as it's S class based. CLS doesn't have the issues as the CL and IMHO is the nicer looking of the two cars.

Thanks.

Number of doors is not a consideration to be honest. Reliability, performance and running costs between the two more interesting.

I've driven a CLS320CDi - it was a bit claustrophobic, however the equivalent V8 is lighter than the 215 and a bit more modern.

How do the two compare as a daily driver - if you used them as such?

I'm biased but the cls wins hands down imho,as has been mentioned the ABC suspension issue is common on the cl & the airmatic setup on the cls is cheaper & much more reliable(i've never heard of it failing on a cls).Performance wise theres not a great deal between them (but if you test drive both you can make your own mind up),running costs during ownership i would expect the cls to come out cheaper as it's proven to be more reliable & when the time comes to sell it the cls will look less dated than the cl & has 4 doors.

Whilst I like the SL, a decent one with sensible miles is £20k+. The CL appears to be around £12k+ and the CLS £15k+.

Am I right in thinking the CL has a far bigger spec - the CLS is essentially an E-Class+?

Whilst I like the SL, a decent one with sensible miles is £20k+. The CL appears to be around £12k+ and the CLS £15k+.

Am I right in thinking the CL has a far bigger spec - the CLS is essentially an E-Class+?

^Spec is down to individual car(the options list is extensive-my car had over £11k of optional extras when new)find a car that has most of what you want then choose between cl/cls after testing both.

Ierton said:

With respect these prices are bottom $ if that's your budget only get a CLS as a CL can potentially wipe you out and as I said its a much older car you will buy and design. Get a quote for a B service with plugs on either car, if your ok with that move on and buy one.
Quick note on brakes on my CLS 55 in 2 years and 25k miles by me and 30k on total it didn't needs pads or discs. Just lots of rear tyres.

As Dave said v8 cls's wear rear tyres (about 12k miles)& cost £500 a pair,B service with plugs & brake fluid change(if due) will cost about £800 at an mb dealership.

I posted this on another thread recently, might be of interest should you choose to look at a CLS.

Great choice with the CLS 55, I'm notorious for changing my car regularly but since I've had mine I've found that It's ticked so many of the boxes finding a replacement for the money is very tricky indeed!

From my experience thus far, as others have mentioned, certain service items are rather expensive to replace depending on mileage/ service schedule and main dealer/ Indie. Personally I always use main dealer and as such my last service in December was the 35k mile mark which entails a major service, poly V belt change and the brake fluid change. The brake fluid change came to nearly £400 alone. The total service came in at over £900.

Another thing you need to check when buying is the tracking of the steering and any vibration of the wheel at speeds of up to 70mph. I’ve recently had my vibration diagnosed after trying several methods (four wheel balancing & laser alignment) to a worn poly bush. It's also having a traction control sensor replaced at the same time. I have read in other threads that the alloys occasionally have a tendency to buckle.
My post may read quite negatively but I’m sure you don’t expect to run the car on a shoestring in any case.

Most importantly buy one and listen to the noise! :thumb:

Last note on the CL - budget for 4 new windows as the double gazing will delaminate and go misty - £2k if your lucky for 4

I posted this on another thread recently, might be of interest should you choose to look at a CLS.

Great choice with the CLS 55, I'm notorious for changing my car regularly but since I've had mine I've found that It's ticked so many of the boxes finding a replacement for the money is very tricky indeed!

From my experience thus far, as others have mentioned, certain service items are rather expensive to replace depending on mileage/ service schedule and main dealer/ Indie. Personally I always use main dealer and as such my last service in December was the 35k mile mark which entails a major service, poly V belt change and the brake fluid change. The brake fluid change came to nearly £400 alone. The total service came in at over £900.

Another thing you need to check when buying is the tracking of the steering and any vibration of the wheel at speeds of up to 70mph. I’ve recently had my vibration diagnosed after trying several methods (four wheel balancing & laser alignment) to a worn poly bush. It's also having a traction control sensor replaced at the same time. I have read in other threads that the alloys occasionally have a tendency to buckle.
My post may read quite negatively but I’m sure you don’t expect to run the car on a shoestring in any case.

Most importantly buy one and listen to the noise! :thumb:

£400 for brake fluid change:eek:,typo?(should be £100 tops even at main dealer).

£400 for brake fluid change:eek:,typo?(should be £100 tops even at main dealer).

Not on the CLS 55 I'm afraid, the braking system is/ was rather advanced and used similar tech to the SLR so I've been told. Regular preventative maintenance is required to avert expensive bills!

Not on the CLS 55 I'm afraid, the braking system is/ was rather advanced and used similar tech to the SLR so I've been told. Regular preventative maintenance is required to avert expensive bills!

CLS55 has sensonic brake control ..

it's slightly more complicated, but not that much more.

£400 is a rip off.

Thanks for the replies.

Not too concerned about service costs etc. I have a Cayenne Turbo and the tyres only last 6k miles along with 11mpg!

Am erring on the side of the CLS at the moment but will just have to see what comes up for sale.

As a recent owner of a CLS55 all I can say is I'm loving the car everyday! I was looking at getting either the M6 (briefly flirted with M5) or the CLS and really glad I went down the CLS route, the performance is just fantastic!

SBC pumps appear to be warranted for 10 years and the system is a most excellent one as the pedal can remain firm in feel but have immense stopping power if need be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom