CL55 warranty claim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sasha

Car
ML63 - 2009
I was hoping to get some advice form the forum whether my warranty would cover the following situation.

Last weekend I went to Stuttgart in my CL55 and put the car through its paces on the autobahn (repeated sprints to top speed). I have also discovered exactly what my car was designed for, and that is high speed cruising on the autobahn - amazing levels of surety and stability at those speeds.

Whilst driving the engine warning light came on, I parked up and rang Mobilolife who advised me that unless there were other symptoms e.g., loss of engine power (which there weren't), the car could be driven to a dealer and the event did not qualify as a breakdown.

On this basis I drove to a service centre and they replaced the camshaft sensor, a tensioner pulley and belts. I was 900 euros lighter and returned to the UK.

I was wondering what recourse I might have with my Mercedes warranty? I have a full Tier 1 warranty and I followed due process with Mobilolife and ensured I visited an official Mercedes service centre in Germany.

Does anyone know if I am able to make a claim?

As an aside, on the way home my ABC warning light came on and instructed me to drive no more than 50mph to the UK. Once I got back the car went straight into the dealer and is having the ABC pump replaced under warranty. I am waiting for this job to complete before I engage on the camshaft claim.

The original purpose of the visit was.... to visit the Mercedes museum which was interesting and have a guided tour of the AMG factory in Affalterbach. Those guys really redefine customer service... amazing. Not to mention the amount of SLS' driving around and all you can hear in the neighbourhood are V8s growling away!)

Thanks

I think you have a valid claim. Do it all in writing and tracked delivery. I have learnt the hard way not to do verbal agreements. Be fair but firm when you write in.

Wouldn't mention the repeated sprints bit though ;-)

Guess what?

A day after posting (special delivery) I had an engineer from the warranty department phone me and very apologetically tell me that he could not pay out on the entire claim and would have to deduct £10's worth of consumables!

The remainder of the best part of a £1,000 invoice would be paid via cheque and I received that cheque a few day's later!

Fantastic service.

Guess what?

A day after posting (special delivery) I had an engineer from the warranty department phone me and very apologetically tell me that he could not pay out on the entire claim and would have to deduct £10's worth of consumables!

The remainder of the best part of a £1,000 invoice would be paid via cheque and I received that cheque a few day's later!

Fantastic service.

Obviously I wouldn't dream of arguing over it, but how pathetic of them to deduct £10 from a near thousand pound payment. It's not as if you'd have used the consumables anyway - they were only neccesary because the car developed a fault.

Fair point. I sometimes wonder about the consumables exclusion clause when a consumable is replaced as direct consequence of a repair that falls within the warranty.

Does anyone know what the most expensive consumable on a car is? (excl. tyres)

However lets not lose sight of the fact that I am able to keep my CL55 in an immaculate mechanical / electrical condition at no more than a nominal cost due to the Tier 1 warranty.

Admittedly the regular service and maintenance items cost a fair bit to keep the MBSH up to date, and it is starting to get a little leggy 87k miles, but...

When I come to move it on, I hope it will be one of the best examples of a facelift (2003) CL55 in the UK! ;0)

We must compare CL's sometime. How long have you had your CL

The only option that was not on the CL when we bought it was no Fire Extinguisher, which we now have.

Warranty was 'free' for the first year as car bought from main dealer, I extended that to 2 year's at the time of purchase for £400. I'm not sure how much the renewal will cost in September though - I am budgeting on £1,500.

I've had my CL since Sept 2008. We should compare CLs, next Southern or London GTG?

The next Brookland's GTG ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom