CL55k fuel smell at the rear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jitzz

Car
CL55K
Hi Everyone,

Looking for your collective thoughts and experience on a recent issue..... been driving the car this week as per usual and have noticed when I shut the engine down after a normal journey, I get a strong petrol smell coming from the back of the car - drivers side.....I've let the car idle and checked the engine bay, but it's not there.

I've checked for obvious leaks at the back and in the engine bay, but can't see anything??...have done a search which seems to point towards a fuel pump issue but not too sure:dk:

Any thoughts or suggestions would greatly appreciated before I take it along to my local Indie

Thanks a lot

Jitzz

Hi. Is your exhaust system modified ? Any check engine light ? Are the catalysts in good condition ?

Fuel filler pipes/drainage pipes disintegrated ?

Check your activated charcoal filter. It's in the rear passenger wheel well, behind the liner.

You must add your name to the CL W215 Register.

Hi All,

in response, the exhaust system isn't modified other than a resonator delete, and there are no check engine lights appearing - the cat's seem ok as it flew through the MOT emissions with no problems - before I had this issue.

I'll check the charcoal filter and filler pipes as suggested - thanks guys !!

Cheers

Jitzz

Hi
I am interested if you changed your charcoal filter and if it fixed your problem?
My independent mercedes garage claims it should not be necessary to change this filter but my manual shows it should be changed ever 30K miles or 2 years.
I do some times get a strong fuel smell near the rear of the car - so no doubt the filter probably is involved since it is situated inside the left hand rear wheel housing.
My car is 1996 C180 Elegance...

I have the exact same problem. I will be changing my charcoal filter soon so will keep you guys posted if the smell comes back.

Hi All,

apologies for late response but just to update everyone, the issue turned out to be a corroded fuel pipe, which was leaking petrol very close to the exhaust !!!

Got my indy to change the pipe ASAP - they didn't let me drive it anywhere, which was obviously the safest thing to do.

So please check these pipes on your cars in the event of any fuel smells !!!!

thanks

Jitzz

Hi All,

apologies for late response but just to update everyone, the issue turned out to be a corroded fuel pipe, which was leaking petrol very close to the exhaust !!!

Got my indy to change the pipe ASAP - they didn't let me drive it anywhere, which was obviously the safest thing to do.

So please check these pipes on your cars in the event of any fuel smells !!!!

thanks

Jitzz

Fuel pipe to/from the fuel tank?

Hi Renault12ts.....it's the fuel pipe which goes from the fuel tank, which was dripping fuel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom