CL600 Biturbo Update.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WOODYTHEWISE

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 500 Coupe.
Its now nigh on 12 months since I bought the CL. It was purchased from the Main Dealer in Ayr under the 'Approved used Scheme' and came with 12 months Tier 1 warranty. I initially Purchased it with the intention of keeping it 12 months then changing it. Since then I have come to love the comfort and the effortless turn of speed it has. The ABC is not to be underestimated, it is superb. Also for a coupe the rear seats are very usable.
Apart from a few problems with the air con early in ownership the car has been faultless. There has been a lot of thought put into the small details of this car, keyless entry is good as is the garage door opener, easy entry is one of my favourite features, for those who may not have heard of it, when the door opens the seat moves rearwards and the steering wheel moves upwards allowing...'easy entry' the rear headrests drop down out of sight when you engage reverse gear, you can also do the same via a switch.
The fuel consumption has been 20.1mpg, I did once manage to coach 20.4mpg out of it, however, the style of driving I had to adopt was not worth the few drops I saved. In my mind 20mpg is not bad for 500bhp and 800nm of torque.
The work done prior to collection (at no charge)should keep her happy for a while yet. All filters inc fuel filter and oil changed. Spark plugs changed (all 24)coolant and brake fluid changed.
The car has now done 36.5k miles, the service indicator says A service due 7000miles. The car looks to be only a couple of year old at the most, those who have seen it will attest to that fact.
As a rule I change my cars on a regular basis, its just the way I am, this is my 63rd/4th car, the longest I have kept a car was in fact another Mercedes a 560SEL, this goes to show how much I like the car. This has not however stopped me looking, test drove a few but did not find anything that looked or drove like the CL.
I have been over the entire car looking for corrosion and have found not the slightest blemish.
Yes,buying a v12 is risky, what if this...what if that... will put you into an early grave, you are here once and once only,go for it.

Last edited:
Woody, your car is a credit to you. The Scots GTGers and I have had the priviledge of meeting you and your car, its a wonderful pair.

Good to hear another cl owner loving his car! I think the only thing I could replace mine with is the newer version... Nothing else in its class seems to touch it!

John

I want first dibs on it, as well you know.

I also reckon it's definitely a keeper for you. Cars like this are hard to better.

Thanks for the report woody. I looked at cl63 but was a bit worried about potential cost post warranty.

What did you drive before hand?

yes a v12 merc, when its good its nearly impossible to beat. When its not arghhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks for the report woody. I looked at cl63 but was a bit worried about potential cost post warranty.

What did you drive before hand?

I had a 2008 VW Phaeton, very good car with all you could wish for, however, it had no soul. plus something that is not commonly known....corrosion. The entire car is covered with aluminium, some bright spark decided that mild steel rivets would be cheaper. :(
Prior to that was an 3.0lt v6 IS300, I never saw another one, prior to that a BMW, Honda, all within a three year period, I lost big time on the Phaeton. I have a thing about rust and oil leaks, first sign of the latter and off it goes.

You can extend the teir 1 warranty...at a price...bargain

Last edited:
I had a 3008 VW Phaeton, very good car with all you could wish for, however, it had no soul. plus something that is not commonly known....corrosion. The entire car is covered with aluminium, some bright spark decided that mild steel rivets would be cheaper. :(
Prior to that was an 3.0lt v6 IS300, I never saw another one, prior to that a BMW, Honda, all within a three year period, I lost big time on the Phaeton. I have a thing about rust and oil leaks, first sign of the latter and off it goes.

Never under any circumstance buy my E320CDi

Steven, an aside, I could really see you in a V12biturbo.

yes a v12 merc, when its good its nearly impossible to beat. When its not arghhhhhhhhhhhh

I remember yours cost you an arm and a leg when you first had it, then 20K miles with no trouble. If you have any bits left over let me know.

Yeah, it did cost me alot. But ive had it nearly nearly 3 years now and nothing gone on it yet touch wood. Ive gone from 56k to 90k in it.
Went to sell it at the beginning of the year and people were offering 5k-6k for it.
I thought no offense but ill keep it for that money as i know its a really good car now. only thing is the petrol costs but ive moved closer to chester now so fuel costs is like £100 a month now as opposed to £600 before.

I had a 2008 VW Phaeton, very good car with all you could wish for, however, it had no soul. plus something that is not commonly known....corrosion. The entire car is covered with aluminium, some bright spark decided that mild steel rivets would be cheaper. :(

You can extend the teir 1 warranty...at a price...bargain
A big step up in class with the emphasis on class

We have had the 55 for a couple of years now and we will be keeping it for the foreseeable future.

I have driven many V12's and I'm definitely a V8 man, just prefer the rumble of the V8 to the Whoosh of the V12.

In my opinion the is nothing better looking than a W215, it is surely one of the Great Grand Coupe Tourers, maybe the 560 SEC came close ( which we also had the pleasure in owning)

We have had the 55 for a couple of years now and we will be keeping it for the foreseeable future.

I have driven many V12's and I'm definitely a V8 man, just prefer the rumble of the V8 to the Whoosh of the V12.

In my opinion the is nothing better looking than a W215, it is surely one of the Great Grand Coupe Tourers, maybe the 560 SEC came close ( which we also had the pleasure in owning)

I must admit the rumble of a V8 is very adictive, had a V8 5.7 Camaro I bought off the Yanks,sorry, Americans when I lived in Germany, that had a nice growl to it. Some in line/straight 6s also have a nice note, not so much a rumble but wound up in 4th gear,change to top the carlton I had sounded pretty good also.

Further update. Its now almost 2 years since I purchased the CL ( 24 July 11) It is now due a service 'A' and an MOT. Since I purchased the car from MB Ayr I have nothing but praise for this dealership. Cost of service (own oil) including brake fluid change, MOT, and a loan car for the day, a tad over £241 inc VAT.
The car on purchase had 12 months Tier one warranty, I renewed this cover in July 2012 and have just renewed it again. The cost in 2012 was roughly £1308 and change. The cost this year ????????????/ £1121.48 something going down in price was a nice surprise.
For me the tier one warranty is well worth the money, the CL bi-turbo has the potential to empty all but the largest purse/wallet. The first 12 months saw the alarm siren replaced along with various parts of the air-con system including the evaporator, all done under warranty. The past 12 months saw the ABC/power steering pump empty fluid all over the garage floor, luckily at the end of my journey rather than the beginning. This was replaced also under warranty ( would have cost in the region of £1400 )apart from the cost of the warranty I have in the past couple of months had two new front brake discs, four new tyres, and the AMG wheels refurbished, all work done via MB Ayr.
The car is a dream to drive, and the acceleration ( 0 to 60 under 5 sec ) for something weighing over two tons has to be experienced, the amount of torque from the V12 would bring a smile to anyone's face. However, most important in my case is comfort, the CL has the dynamic seat package, and is well worth whatever the original owner paid for them. As previously stated the ABC is in my mind the best system I have come across.It can be set to comfort,sport, and raised for rough ground. The five speed box copes very well and never feels wrong footed. There is comfort, sport, and manual change via the select lever.
Fuel consumption is still showing 20.1mpg over the past 3000 miles.
The car overall looks much the same as it did on purchase and looks better than a lot of cars half her age.
A couple of months ago I 'looked' at changing just for the hell of it, viewed several in the Audi range, an Aston, but on comparing each car to the CL, the CL was the clear winner.
I still fancy a Bentley, at some time I will have one.
We are only on this planet a relatively short time, and for one time only (in my opinion)
scratch your itch and buy a V8 V12 AMG or whatever floats your boat before its to late.:D:devil:

For such a large car its quite nimble. Bends and corners feel strange because the car keeps level. It soaks up bumps and potholes without problem.
Its more a grand tourer best suited for long swift journeys. A lighter smaller car would probably loose it on a long winding road, however, the torque ( 800nm ) comes in from about 1500 rpm if memory serves, also the brakes are very efficient. If ever you find yourself up here, KA18 you could have a test drive:)
When and if it stops raining I will update the photographs.

Very nice motor, I still have the itch to return to a CL. I sold my CL55 as I think i bought a not very well lucked after one..the child inside me fell in love when I sat behind the wheel and forgot to inspect it properly!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom