CL600 / CL500 W215 - Different Cars ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
I missed the Silver CL600 because I cant live with 68k miles - it looked lovely.

Ive found a Obsidian and beige CL600 that is lovely but miles away and a Silver and Graphite CL500 on 39k miles 06 locally

The CL500 looks immaculate, is well priced and is a one owner FMBSH car local to me.

Rob (my indie) says they are different cars entirely and I will get bored quickly of the CL500 and never be able to sell it.

Can anyone who has owned both comment please.

Price is not a factor both are well priced and specced, its purely "is a CL600 so much more than a CL500"

Ta

The V8 has a lot more character... I personally am not a fan of the V12... over complicated and id be worried about it going wrong the whole time... especially if we are talking bi-turbo.

The 500 is nicely balanced car, perfect power to weight and it doesnt feel like there is a 20 tonne of concrete stuffed over the front wheels.

The V8 is by far much easier to sell. Most buyers shy away from 600's for my above reasons.

Thanks Jay your input is appreciated. I think the dealer wants shut as they have bid retail on the Lexus and an 06 w215 isn't common especially at 39k miles.

I have a CL600 and I love it. People are afraid of them because they are a tad expensive to repair. A £100K car is never going to be cheap to run,however,how many large comfortable cars do 0.60 in under 5sec? not that many. Do as I did,buy one from a main dealer under the approved used program, full warranty just like a new car.
The one I bought had 31K and was like new. Once you have driven one,anything else will feel tame.

I've read all your experience Mr W and you were lucky to find a gem, mb dealers are listing one w215 at stupid money for a 2003 55k

Seems right now anything over 5 years is being sold on by the dealers, when you purchased it wasn't quite so bad in the UK I guess.

I would buy an approved car in a heartbeat and I m mileage sensitive, the lovely cl600 from wales was maintained at any expense but 68k was to high for me, a really beautiful one is also on 50k ok but the dealer isn't appealing to me so I will settle for this Cl500, only option is keyless go but I dont need much else.

One reason the dealer thinks its been sticky is its too new, it gets taxed at full wack not £245 ! One of the last W215 I guess

Last edited:
I would have thought both the V8 and V12 are pretty quick enough for our roads and fuel prices....

Sound wise my guess is the v8 would have that box ticked?

Also I would think most people looking second hand would as these cars get older / more miles would be put off by the possible bills on a v12. Not suggesting a v8 would be cheap but it's all relative.

Warranty would have to be included and a good one at that.

For me the 500 would be more sellable once you want to try something else :)

V12 is bigger bills to fix things because it takes longer to get to things as its cramped.
Petrol i find amusing when people poo poo a v12. I mean, seriously what is the difference between 20 mpg on a cl600 and 23mpg on a cl500? my s600 does 20 mpg average and i once did a mixed bit of driving for 30 miles with my mate in a BMW 330 ci, we both set the trip at the end of the journey i did 21 mpg and he did 23 mpg, i got there 4 mins before him aswell :-}. People go a buy a 30k car then pick peanuts out of p** on repair and petrol costs, and then in 4 years it will be worth 6k anyway.
The cl600 will be in nearly everyway a better car, but it will cost more to run, the stand spec cl600 as about 15k plus of options of a cl500.

Last edited:
Agree V8 will be fast enough, agree CL600 is more desirable and cost is not an issue on buying or running (within reason) the black and beige cl600 is beautiful but this silver cl500 is late plate, low miles one owner and I'm getting £11k px on the lex which is a good offer as the cl500 isn't overpriced.
I suppose I could get this and keep an eye out for a perfect cl600 or cl65 ?

All I can say is that if your not 100% wait for that perfect CL, as the Lexus will be a lot easier to move on than another CL.

As I have recently found out V8's are hard work to sell.

Regards a Cl500 or 600, I think after the powerful cars that you have had in recent years anything less than an AMG is going to leave you wanting more.

I took the sensible decision on the Cayenne with the 3.2, but I really miss the V8 and should have gone for a 4.5S

I know what your budgets like seems to change with the wind... so how about this (don't like the wheels)

Howard Wise Cars : 07/07 Mercedes CL500 - Iridium Silver/Blk Leather

Have to agree the above comment, the lexus should sell easier. I'm not sure what the market is like for the older CL's. Too me it just seems too much that could go wrong for the initial lowish costs.

I see one regularly round here TOI XXXX number he must have had a while, lovely looking car and I think it goes to Hoylake for the services etc.

I know what your budgets like seems to change with the wind... so how about this (don't like the wheels)

Howard Wise Cars : 07/07 Mercedes CL500 - Iridium Silver/Blk Leather

Have to agree the above comment, the lexus should sell easier. I'm not sure what the market is like for the older CL's. Too me it just seems too much that could go wrong for the initial lowish costs.

I see one regularly round here TOI XXXX number he must have had a while, lovely looking car and I think it goes to Hoylake for the services etc.

There isn't a budget to be honest, I want a change and recognize I don't know what I want or need so I'm reticent to spend much. The car in the advert is inaccurate in that they want £1900 to change valuing the cl at £12k or the lex at £13k - neither are worth that, so £2k to feed my need to change.

Wheels on that Howard wise car are horrid but ts th cheapest w216 in th country.

If your not sure do nothing.

No point swapping and not being happy. The lexus will sell far more easily. How many miles is it on, it sounds cheap at those prices?

Your right the wheels are horrible on that car it was just a idea.

If I were you I would wait and not rush, those CL's will be losing probably more than the lexus so your no worse off waiting until you decide.

Lex has done 50k, they are worth far more in London an up here due to th congestion charge reduction.

Let's see what the weekend brings ........

Lex has done 50k, they are worth far more in London an up here due to th congestion charge reduction.

Let's see what the weekend brings ........

Is your car one of the cars that is staying on the congestion charge free list, if so, then I will mention it to a friend at work, who may be interested.

Nice looking car David,doesn't have the greatest of specs though.

Silver is the CL500 and £2k to swap, black one is a CL600 at £5k to swap
CL500 under 40k miles, CL600 60k miles - CL600 has every option inc rare heated wooden wheel (!?)
media

media

Or
5c1903404b9d0a62324d01016ad5ed6a.JPG

1aef1249aec58959253e278c998afea6.JPG

CL600 looks a treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom