cl600 - CL65 ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very deceptive showing the performance figures for a CL65 when its only a 362bhp CL600.
Looks in decent enough condition though and I don't think the price is excessive.

Looks good to me too. If I was interested, though, the first question I would ask about would be the service history; maybe the seller just forgot to mention it, or maybe not.

Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

M137 is not a great engine by most measures.

Get the M275 or get the M113.

Even better, a M113K;)

to help curb possible future temptations, please can you enlighten me as to model years that the M137 was fitted, and also exactly why should it be avoided?

thanks

It's the N/A 5.8 V12 fitted to the W220 and C215 during the pre facelift.

It has cylinder deactivation which is thought to decrease the life of the coil packs. Over £1000 for each bank of cylinders when they fail.
There is also a Voltage transformer that sits on top of the motor that often needs replacing at around £1000.

The oil cooler in between the V is the worst part though. The edges of it sit under the edges of the cylinder head. The seal leaks relatively quickly on this cooler and ends up burning oil through the combustion chamber and/or leaking down the back of the engine over the gearbox. Either way, this is not expensive in parts but massively expensive in labour. Both cylinder heads off and the gearbox needs to be split to do the job properly. Being a V12, it's not like getting the head off a 4 pot. Even getting the exhaust manifolds off is a bit of a mission.

Last edited:
Something tells me that there is something inacurrate on this one...
g.png

Mercedes-Benz CL 6.0 CL65 AMG 2dr

Thanks for link advice

It's the N/A 5.8 V12 fitted to the W220 and C215 during the pre facelift.

It has cylinder deactivation which is thought to decrease the life of the coil packs. Over £1000 for each bank of cylinders when they fail.
There is also a Voltage transformer that sits on top of the motor that often needs replacing at around £1000.

The oil cooler in between the V is the worst part though. The edges of it sit under the edges of the cylinder head. The seal leaks relatively quickly on this cooler and ends up burning oil through the combustion chamber and/or leaking down the back of the engine over the gearbox. Either way, this is not expensive in parts but massively expensive in labour. Both cylinder heads off and the gearbox needs to be split to do the job properly. Being a V12, it's not like getting the head off a 4 pot. Even getting the exhaust manifolds off is a bit of a mission.

Great information.

It's a shame the wrong figures are quoted as its casts suspicion over what looks to be a well sorted car. You'll see the seller mentions the coil packs and the dreaded oil seal have all been replaced. That said, I don't know why someone would lavish so much love on a pre-facelift W215 with that 5.8 litre engine. Surely better to lavish the care on a facelift car with an M275 under the bonnet.... Each to their own I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom