CL600 - do ex-owners regret owning or selling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That V12 does sound amazing (as do V10s) but I prefer the unbalanced V8 sound just that bit more!

I certainly wouldn't be looking for an S class Merc if I heard that one coming.

Yea, exactly, I like the unbalanced nature of V8 over the refined V10, V12 engines...

In my opinion V8 would be better than the V12. Maybe more performance and all that from V12, but the V8 will sound so much better than the V12.

I wish there was someone converting all ABC suspension to a more suitable alternative, it would make these cars more desirable!
A guy on you tube has done it with his SL55 & junked all of the ABC for coilovers. I think his name is Tavares or similar. Has done a fair bit to his SL55 & now putting a manual box in it!

A guy on you tube has done it with his SL55 & junked all of the ABC for coilovers. I think his name is Tavares or similar. Has done a fair bit to his SL55 & now putting a manual box in it!

Here's a question - why do Americans (like Tavarish) mod their cars so much? Brits certainly love their fancy cars - far more than their neighbours in France / Spain / Italy, but we don't seem to be "infected?" with quite the same desire to modify as much as the Americans. What is that all about? (Cue Tuercas and and other active US correspondents).

Here's Tavarish's link SL55 mod video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ah yes, I do follow Tavarish on youtube, pretty good channel, he really seems to know a lot about cars. The ABC removal looks like an absolute nightmare, I mean he had to literally cut through the ABC lines! I think I'm fairly sure I'd never buy a car with ABC now.

It may be the case that we are blessed with better finished, better handling cars with more relative power per cc than our American cousins and therefore the need to mod is (almost) unnecessary. It is only in recent years that they have been able to produce cars which appeal to European tastes, with a few previous exceptions of course.

D

But will you be able to find one...? :)

Too darn right, Mon Brave.

We've only seen two in the last 18 months, and We know Who Got The First One, and Who Got The Second One.....

I suspect that I may end up with a 290 bhp petrol E350...

But a) I've got to sort out my dislocated ankle and broken leg, and b) I need to get rid of The King after Easter.

Hopalong.

It may be the case that we are blessed with better finished, better handling cars with more relative power per cc than our American cousins and therefore the need to mod is (almost) unnecessary. It is only in recent years that they have been able to produce cars which appeal to European tastes, with a few previous exceptions of course.
D

But why are Americans so much more prepared to get "deep down and dirty" than Europeans?

Brits used to do it - maybe up until the '80's but is it my imagination that we lost it after then?

Did we stop producing Engineers?

There seems to be more of a modding culture in the US than here, no question. I guess the costs of an imported car in America could also be at play. Much easier and cheaper to modify a home grown car than buy an expensive European import.

Perhaps the frontier spirit is more prevalent as well! Car culture in the US seems to have a broader base then here. The mod culture generally is confined to a younger age group in Europe, whereas it seems to be aspirational to have a modified Mustang or whatever in America, when you reach a 'certain' age.

D

But why are Americans so much more prepared to get "deep down and dirty" than Europeans?

Brits used to do it - maybe up until the '80's but is it my imagination that we lost it after then?

Did we stop producing Engineers?

I'm more than happy to get deep down & dirty. That isn't an invitation btw!

I mean meant mechanically with cars if there was a doubt over my intention!

Hello all,

Just my 2 cents - I am lucky to own a low mileage CL600 TT (W216). I've had the car for 18 months now, and nothing has gone wrong. I hope by finding a good independent (I use PCS in Hampshire), and ensuring I keep on top of the on-going maintenance, that I might avoid some of the negative reliability comments I see posted.....we shall see if that works! :) I agree with John's comment re the sound of the V8's - the CL63 is especially nice! The V12 sounds fabulous on start up, but the car is very very quiet (too quiet?), only with all the windows down, in a confined space do you know what is under the bonnet. I must say the acceleration from any speed is something to believe. I guess the best thing....they are very rare. CL's are rare, CL600's are even more uncommon....and a CL65 - well........

Cheers, Phil.

Hello all,

Just my 2 cents - I am lucky to own a low mileage CL600 TT (W216). I've had the car for 18 months now, and nothing has gone wrong. I hope by finding a good independent (I use PCS in Hampshire), and ensuring I keep on top of the on-going maintenance, that I might avoid some of the negative reliability comments I see posted.....we shall see if that works! :) I agree with John's comment re the sound of the V8's - the CL63 is especially nice! The V12 sounds fabulous on start up, but the car is very very quiet (too quiet?), only with all the windows down, in a confined space do you know what is under the bonnet. I must say the acceleration from any speed is something to believe. I guess the best thing....they are very rare. CL's are rare, CL600's are even more uncommon....and a CL65 - well........

Cheers, Phil.

Hi, I live in Hampshire too in Lovedean so I'll keep an eye out, although I've never seen another 216 CL in Hampshire as you say rare.

Here's a question - why do Americans (like Tavarish) mod their cars so much?

I'm generalising here, so please don't take offence if you're an American. I rather think it's the same thing that drives far more of the population than here to cosmetic surgery; you have to be as good as you can be. It's an approach to life that defines people not by what they are or what they do, but by how they look and what they've got. Deep down, Americans are shallow; what you see really is what you get.

They see us as devious b'stards (which is one of the reasons why the bad guy in their films, which are so often the epitome of shallow, is often a Brit), and I think they have a point by their standards. When they have a longer history of civilisation, they'll be the same...

Hello all,

Cheers, Phil.
Think you've summed it up in a nutshell there Phil. The only criticism I have of our CL65 is that it is possibly too refined! But probably suitable for my advancing years.. of course Ms Oldguy57 keeps up the "entertainment" value with her tyre chirping activities when driving it.

Many thanks for this, Phil. That fits with other feedback that I've had.

I had a silly accident which has delayed my plans to change my car, but I'll be sorting out a change later this Summer.

It remains to be seen whether I go the "CL600 plus family estate" route, or a much more sensible, but hens teeth, trail of finding an E500 estate.

I did help a friend buy a W221 S600 a month ago and I have to say I was deeply impressed by the discreet 500hp power of that V12 unit, coupled with the sophistication of the "specced up to the nines" W221.

We shall see....

Hi Mike,

If you have any specific questions, just let me know - I might be able to help. Interestingly, my next little project is adding a AUX input to the NTG3 system - how a car "specced up to the nines" doesn't have one as standard I'll never know. I hope to post a 'how to' when I get around to it....

Good luck with the car hunt - it will be fun whatever you chose to do :) I will also post some pictures of my car at some stage on the relevant thread - I've ever so slightly lowered it (15mm) / widened it (10 front / 15mm rear) so a little write up might be wise....

Anyway, have fun.

Thanks, Phil.

My take on it from the cheap seats is following:

Higher disposable income.

Looking deeper, Mercedes modding rarely goes beyond remap or wheels which is why removing ABC suspension from SL or fitting a manual gearbox to it becomes noticeable straight away (check out the GTR or Lancer scene for example and swaps like these are a norm here in the U.K.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom