CL600 Tread life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helgi33

Car
500 SEC & CL600
I was just wondering what kind of life CL600 owners are getting out of their rear tyres ?

I Just passed an MOT with a warning that my rear tyres have only 3mm left.
I have done about 4600 miles on them and they originally have 7.5mm treads..

That means that I have used up 1mm of treads for every 1000 miles and could in theory go for another 1400 miles before I reach the legal limit of 1.6mm

That would mean total life of 6000 miles on the set of rear tyres... isnt that very low number ? or maybe normal for CL600 ?

I am using Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 K117 275/35ZR20

I'd say it's a low number for normal driving. First thing I'd do is measure the tread depth rather than trust someone else's measurement.

You have to pay for all that torque ...:D

It's certainly a low number, but there are so many variables that it doesn't really mean anything.

Assuming the tyres have worn evenly and have been run at the correct pressures, the style of driving, ie acceleration and braking, primarily, will determine wear rates, as will the tyres' compound. As examples, I've known rear tyres on a 190 2.6 need replacing after 8,000 miles and on a different car different makes of tyre, used under similar driving conditions, have varied in life from 7,000 to 25,000 miles.

A V12 is going to be fairly heavy on tyre wear, unless you trailer it everywhere, which defeats the point somewhat :rolleyes:

However, to answer your question, I have no idea as I don't have a CL600 :thumb:

Not convinced.

I'm not convinced there's an issue here.

1) 275 sounds wide on a W215? Aren't they normally 245 ? Are these non-standard wheels? Not my area of expertise but a tyre geezer could comment. It seems a little odd.

2) How did you measure that 7.5mm all round? Seriously? And allowed for variation within the tread?

3) Ditto - is the MoT measurement really accurate at 3mm? All around, allowing for variation within the tread?
When you look at the tread are there any indications of alignment, or irregular wear issues?
What's a mm here or there? Well, quite a lot, if they were 6.5mm before and 4mm now, it's not such a problem.

4) Agreed that 4mm does sound excessive. But that really, seriously isn't the fault of the V12, it's the driver - give or take a bit of electronic brake control.

5) Tyres wear because drivers leave rubber on the road. That's down to how you drive the car, not the vehicle itself.

6) Biggest suspicion is reserved for the Hankooks. Are these really the right tyres to put on a luxury V12. I may be talking out of line here, but I normally think of them as budget tyres, not things to put on a 500 bhp 2 tonne performance car.

Obviously it's time to get replacements - look at the usual suspects as replacements and I suspect you'll see more like 15,000 miles / tyre next time. And if you don't it's because of the way you brake and accelerate.

Last edited:
Hankook are a relatively good tyre, and have sponsored the DTM for years, but, the Ventus S1 is quite a soft compound so the wear will be exaggerated somewhat as with grip you lose longevity.

Add into this a V12 with a fair amount of power and torque then it doesn't seem as bad really. If the wear is even across the width, and you don't drive it flat out everywhere, I'd suggest a pair of Contis or Michelin for your next set.

If it's any consolation, you're getting a longer life out of yours than I do out of mine. :D

If it's any consolation, you're getting a longer life out of yours than I do out of mine. :D

Ah but the V12 doesn't have the tyre shredding ability that your MB does:thumb:

Correct tyre size.

Front 245/40/19

Rear275/35/19

I used to go through a set of rear tyres in 5k easily in my Cl55 - mine were275 35 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom