cl63 in a colour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
Must say this is a nice combo and it's not like you see many in a colour at all. I haven't checked anything so the MOTs may show all sorts of issues but it does look the part. The only thing I don't like is the dark strip between the back seats. Seems the wrong colour to me. But at that price, if it were any good, and had new brakes, the there are worse dailies.
f0c39b760fe44178825e3d77342f61eb.jpg

I like that too. Just makes a nice change from black/silver most cars of that age were. The tan interior is lovely.
Bit high on the miles but nothing for a V8.
If I were in the market for a CL63 with a 6.2 I be checking that one out.

That's nice. And different, which is a good thing.

That’s really lovely. The black section between the seats: It’s got a two tone leather interior, see black on dashboard and door cards.

Must say this is a nice combo and it's not like you see many in a colour at all. I haven't checked anything so the MOTs may show all sorts of issues but it does look the part. The only thing I don't like is the dark strip between the back seats. Seems the wrong colour to me. But at that price, if it were any good, and had new brakes, the there are worse dailies.

Currently got a rusty brake pipe and an engine oil leak.

It had serious sounding brake issues in 2013 and a leaking rear suspension pipe last year. All other bits on the MOT's seem relatively minor.

That's very nice, and as said it's different, different's good. :) 👍

Nice looking car, and an unusual colour for a CL. I have to say those exhaust tips are getting at me though! :doh:

As soon as I saw it was a 6.2 I just thought of that snarl from the cold start, if the M156 sounds the same in that as it does in others it would sound quite strange hearing that come from such a grown up looking car :cool:

That's a really attractive colour combination. The wood looks a bit too orange for my taste, but one of my 55s had that, and in the flesh - well, all right, in the wood - it was a little darker, and looked fine.

I really like that too and agree about the odd interior design - it seems around 2007 Mercedes went a bit more utilitarian on the interiors; where once would be colour coded leather is now black cloth.

Pre-facelift W215:

Attachments

• 5BAB7AF6-FE0B-4768-8A5F-84E7B99C8132.jpeg
    5BAB7AF6-FE0B-4768-8A5F-84E7B99C8132.jpeg
    776.5 KB · Views: 11
As soon as I saw it was a 6.2 I just thought of that snarl from the cold start, if the M156 sounds the same in that as it does in others it would sound quite strange hearing that come from such a grown up looking car :cool:

I think what you're saying is that the M156 is usually set up to sound like an engine in a yob's wet dream, and that would be out of place in a classy-looking car. I'd agree with you if so...

I think what you're saying is that the M156 is usually set up to sound like an engine in a yob's wet dream, and that would be out of place in a classy-looking car. I'd agree with you if so...
On the contrary - the 157 sounds louder to me on start up, has a boomy crackly fast idle. The 156 sounds more ‘urgent’, has a distinctive bark as it fires.

You need to buy a 6.2 Dennis, just so you’ve experienced one! :) :cool:

such a grown up looking car

What are suggesting Will :(;)

The interior is a little Marmite, never a fan of the Orange wood though.

On the contrary - the 157 sounds louder to me on start up, has a boomy crackly fast idle. The 156 sounds more ‘urgent’, has a distinctive bark as it fires.

I agree, the M156 sounds the least yobbish when standard. The M157 is antisocial, and the M178 is completely ridiculous.

The exhaust note is tuned differently in different models. In the ML63 the M156 is actually quite mellow, without the sharp edge.

Looks like Thulite Red, the same as mine

No thanks; I'm sticking with M113s. I'm not keen on shouty cars in general - iron fist in velvet glove is more my style. That said, though, my SLK is distinctly antisocial - at full chat really stupidly loud - so more than satisfies the little bit of inner yob that lurks in almost any man who likes fast cars, but I'd not really want a CL like that. Iron fist in velvet glove would be much more appropriate, though of course, when you want a car you can only buy what's available.

Last edited:
No thanks; I'm sticking with M113s. I'm not keen on shouty cars in general - iron fist in velvet glove is more my style. That said, though, my SLK is distinctly antisocial - at full chat really stupidly loud - so more than satisfies the little bit of inner yob that lurks in almost any man who likes fast cars, but I'd not really want a CL like that. Iron fist in velvet glove would be much more appropriate, though of course, when you want a car you can only buy what's available.
Not sure I follow - as said the 157 is more shouty than a 156, both have plenty of power up their sleeves so fulfil the iron fist you crave :)

Just a 156 has a very pleasant engine note thanks in part to the larger capacity, higher compression and being NA - not antisocial, just a more eager natural bark sound at startup on the 6.2 than the loud fast idle of the 5.5, both nice engines just different in their own characters :cool:

And ironically as you say, your SLK has a modded exhaust system which was one of the main criticisms of a lot of owners of these 113 cars - they felt they were too quiet as standard and many/most have been modded/decatted etc to sound louder like the newer AMGs - ie ‘63s and newer!

I really like this. Fantastic colour combinations.

As for exhaust, the 6.2 stock is so civilised, its to muted for my own taste. But is a gorgeous sound. I really do like my exhaust sound now after having some mods. I think it brings the car to life that little bit. But I agree stock or modded the 6.2 is a lovely exhaust note.

Not sure I follow - as said the 157 is more shouty than a 156, both have plenty of power up their sleeves so fulfil the iron fist you crave :)

Just a 156 has a very pleasant engine note thanks in part to the larger capacity, higher compression and being NA - not antisocial, just a more eager natural bark sound at startup on the 6.2 than the loud fast idle of the 5.5, both nice engines just different in their own characters :cool:

And ironically as you say, your SLK has a modded exhaust system which was one of the main criticisms of a lot of owners of these 113 cars - they felt they were too quiet as standard and many/most have been modded/decatted etc to sound louder like the newer AMGs - ie ‘63s and newer!

Simple - loud exhausts don't suit velvet glove cars, iron fist or not. I wasn't keen on the exhaust of my 157 E63 either, but not enough to stop me buying it...:devil:

I'm sticking with M113s because they're bombproof, not because of the exhausts.

The SLK is in no way a velvet glove car, but I didn't have the exhaust modified; that was the way it was already, and it was what was available when I wanted one. I'd rather it was stock, tbh.

Maybe practicality is a foolish question on a car like this, but how does the back seat space and boot capacity compare on a CL to a 219 CLS?
i do rather like that

Both the boot and rear seat space should be bigger in the CL as it is based on the S class floor plan.
The CLS rear space is similar to the E class albeit with seating for 2 only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom