CL63 Purchase: Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaramanga

Evening all, I'm looking to buy a W216 CL, and was looking for little advice.

I had my heart set on the CL63 AMG, but prices seem to be quite close to the newer [non-AMG] S500 Coupe. Has anyone owned both and able to provide a comparison ? I've seen some Youtube videos which imply that the tech/interior of the W216 is showing its age (vs the S-Coupe), but interested in owner views.

I'm usually a fan of having the top-of-the-range models in any given class, but the prices of CL63s are making me think twice.

Also, is the later 5.5L W216 CL63 quite reliable ? I don't remember reading any horror stories, and would be keeping it maintained regularly.

Finally, if anyone is in touch with a car that is going to be sold, I'd be grateful to be put in touch with the seller.

Thanks in advance for any views.

ps. i did a search of the forum for "CL63" and didn't find any recent threads that addressed these questions, but apologies in advance if i've missed anything.

Thanks!

Fairly reliable (5.5 vs 6.2)

BTW range topper on both is 65 amg.

Interiors of 216s are dated, having been designed in 2005 but if latest and greatest interiors are your thing, it has to be a 500 217?

Fairly reliable (5.5 vs 6.2)

BTW range topper on both is 65 amg.

Interiors of 216s are dated, having been designed in 2005 but if latest and greatest interiors are your thing, it has to be a 500 217?

Thanks. Doesn’t have to be latest/greatest, but was just thinking that the 216 CL63 is comparable to the 217 S500 ?

Not really IMO one is an amg, with the ride and noise levels tweaked to accommodate that, sporty driving modes etc. If you can, test drive both and you will see

The S500 217 has the exact same engine as the CL500 216. I believe the CL63 will depreciate better than the S500 first gen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom