CL63- Wow!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
I found this review in Car Magazine by Ben Whitworth. What a good read: -

“The CL63 AMG is the thirteenth model in the AMG line-up (the S63, is the fourteenth) and frankly, it's bloody marvellous.

Muscular yet agile, sophisticated and powered by a magnificent engine, it makes the Bentley GT look frumpy and cumbersome. If you have a loose £105,000 knocking about, there’s nothing that comes close to matching the CL63 AMG.

This engine sounds gorgeous. We'll never know how it passed European noise regulations, but every penny was money well spent.

At idle its low-rev wobwobwob soundtrack sounds bruising and menacing. In the mid-range those four exhaust pipes pump out a crisp and clean howl. But it’s nudging its 7200rpm redline that the engine sounds its satanic best – a serrated banshee wail that can be heard for miles before the car rockets into view.

And it burbles and crackles on the overrun. When was the last time you could say that about a micro-processed catalytic-converted de-smogged car?

This is such a wonderfully complete car. Yes, you could argue the point that its over-powered, over-priced and simply over the top. But spend a day in it and you’ll find yourself thinking that it has just the right amount of power and that it’s actually pretty good value. Promise. But most importantly it possesses an increasingly rare asset – character. If you have the money, you shouldn’t even think twice.”

Here’s the link: -
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_drive.php?sid=211&page=1

Good photo attached

Attachments

• MercedesCL63AMG_1_560PX.jpg
    MercedesCL63AMG_1_560PX.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 175
Good writeup.

Isn't that the engine that has a slight misfire/irregularity at idle programmed into the engine management system ... to add character?

I just picked up an S63 with the same engine , it doesn't misfire that I noticed but it does run a little rougher at idle than the V8 in the S55 did.

Still have only done 300 miles so will wait and see.

Amazing what they will do now for marketing, particularly for the states

Good writeup.

Isn't that the engine that has a slight misfire/irregularity at idle programmed into the engine management system ... to add character?
Yes I remember reading that somewhere. Always wanted a V8 and the lovely burble for yankee ones must be one of the great pleasures. If a bit of trickery can put the beauty back in, why not?

I've always wanted a TVR, but head ruled heart which is why I have the R129 now instead. My wife doesn't understand why I still drop the windows whenever we're near a TVR in traffic :D

Saw one of these in Chiswick a couple of weeks back. What a lovely car.

Saw one on the M25 yesterday.....BIG CAR in all senses of the word...had real presence.

Saw one on the M25 yesterday.....BIG CAR in all senses of the word...had real presence.

Yes indeed. When you look at the photo --posting number two-- it has terrific presence and I thought I didn't like it when it first appeared but it has a certain majestic streak that I now like. And plenty of grunt!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom