CL65 AMG £150k car for £20k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fantastic VFM but I'm sure the running costs would pale the purchase price away. Mind you, someone's blown ~ £125k in depreciation so far :eek:

Still, utimate example of 'bang for your buck'? :cool:

yes they are just silly to maintain... the standard V12's are bad enough, the ones with the two turbos are just a major PITA from a maintenance perspective

That's what people forget when they see stuff like this tough. Still has the running costs of a £150k car no matter what you pay for it!

m.

I like that a lot. Imagine will have similar running costs to a Bentley or something equally silly.

So that's 24 spark plugs, to lots of everything mechanical or electrical (one for each side of the engine?).

CL500 loots so much more sensible when you think about, but I still like it a lot.

Over the years, some absolute bargains of the S65 and CL65's have come up and I began to look into them more closely. However, the gigantic running costs (and I am no stranger to the big engined Mercs) as compared to the S600 and CL600 (or S55/CL55's) when there is, in the real world, little practical difference in performance until you are above the NSL meant that I decided against proceeding further.

If I was in Germany and could actually exploit the power to the full, then I would but on a cost/benefit analysis against the 600/55 series, the 65's always came down on the wrong side of the ledger.

That front tyre has a buldge on the sidewall at 11 o'clock.

yes they are just silly to maintain... the standard V12's are bad enough, the ones with the two turbos are just a major PITA from a maintenance perspective

Can you give us some insight into a typical 12 months care for this car? :dk:

Nice car. I seem to recall Maff having one of these at a GTG in Oxfordshsire yeArs ago... Anyone else recall?

My E55 AMG never seemed to break 18mpg as an average though so I guess I'm a bit cynical about quoted mpg. But what the hell, mpg should be least of your worries. My E55 was an 04, my Maserati Quattroporte was an 04..... And I would have the Merc all day long for running costs ......

The Maser was scary, add a Merc dealer price and add a zero. The Merc will always be fair I think....

Marc

Can you give us some insight into a typical 12 months care for this car? :dk:

IIRC the S65 engine is twin spark, so 24 iridium spark plugs plus labour is about £1,200 at a dealer, just to change the spark plugs! insane.

On the 215/220 you'd need to budget for a suspension rebuild every few years as well.

Had a quick butchers, not for me, its the wrong colour and its done over 50k. LMFAO!!!!!!

Nice car. I seem to recall Maff having one of these at a GTG in Oxfordshsire yeArs ago... Anyone else recall?

My E55 AMG never seemed to break 18mpg as an average though so I guess I'm a bit cynical about quoted mpg. But what the hell, mpg should be least of your worries. My E55 was an 04, my Maserati Quattroporte was an 04..... And I would have the Merc all day long for running costs ......

The Maser was scary, add a Merc dealer price and add a zero. The Merc will always be fair I think....

Marc

Yes Matt first had a 55 then a 65. He had terrible trouble with the Turbo's.

It's his fault :) i now have a 55, after he gave me a ride in the 55 :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom