Cl65

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To be fair, I remember when Maff (Matt) had one when they were still fairly newish cars. He paid circa £100k and I believe he got shot of it partly due to poor reliability. I doubt matters have improved much over the last decade :eek:

I really do love these cars though, I think everyone does secretly!

ABC and motor mounts are the only real costly problems on the V12. The ABC is the same on most AMG cars.

The coils are an issue on the older ones but have been fixed on the later cars and new coils now come with a lifetime warranty so it is a one time fix.

Extra plugs and a little extra on a service with an Indy mechanic are not too much of a problem.

Other than those issues the rest of the car will be solid and fairly cheap to maintain. Or no more than most other 10+ year old car.

That's not our experience. We've had two cars with the M275 engine that both had coil issues. They both blew the voltage transformer as well that sits top centre on the engine. Total parts cost from MB was approaching £3500.
The coils are believed to survive better without the cylinder deactivation that the earlier M137 engine had but they do still give up. I had not heard about the lifetime warranty though, I thought they had the standard 2 year warranty on those?

Get a quote for brake discs and pads as well, several times more expensive than the CL55K.

Turbo's seem to pack up at around 100k too, again, not cheap.

Check the US forums. There are a lot of guys who run or have run the twin turbo V12s.

Worth every penny if you can afford it though!

I am on the U.S. Forums also. I said the coil packs would go, in fact mine are still good however I picked up a spare set when I was in the U.S., the aftermarket ones are the same ones Mercedes use however if you buy them they have the lifetime warranty and cost less than $1,500 for both coils.

Anyway what every blog and from personal experience, if you don't go to the main dealer for repairs and you do your research they will not cost a huge amount more than any other AMG.

I am on the U.S. Forums also. I said the coil packs would go, in fact mine are still good however I picked up a spare set when I was in the U.S., the aftermarket ones are the same ones Mercedes use however if you buy them they have the lifetime warranty and cost less than $1,500 for both coils.

Anyway what every blog and from personal experience, if you don't go to the main dealer for repairs and you do your research they will not cost a huge amount more than any other AMG.

Totally agree. How many miles have you done in yours and what's it at now?

Good move picking up the coils in the states.

Now that is tempting....I agree that the guide price is on the low side - the only two I've seen offered for sale in the past 12 months have been asking 15-17k. It looks spectacular too, especially on those standard issue CL65 split rims, personally the only thing I'm not too keen on is the piano black interior. Putting down the power is bound to be hugely entertaining (there's a Monaco based Tiff Needell video on YouTube if you're interested). I struggle to put down the power my M275 even with the gearbox set to comfort to skip first gear, so a CL65 must be both challenging & enormous fun. Somebody is going to end up with a fantastic toy.

My current car has only 15k or less on it however my family have owned multiple S class and SL's over the last 12 years of the V12 TT and the ABC has been by far the worst of the issues, everything else is what I would call normal.

The one exception is on the SL because you have to drop the engine to do the engine mounts, I am not sure about the CL in this respect.

Yes lovely.

The guy writing the ad thinks he is Jeremy Clarkson though.

I have one of these and I absolutely love it! They have it all looks, power and comfort.

When I was looking for my CL, I asked Olly for his advice. He said what ever the 55 will cost to repair double it for the 65. I have now been the proud owner of a 55 for the last five years.

The 65 advertised does not have Distronic !!

I am going to that auction......

I don't think this will sell for close to the guide price somehow...! :eek:

There was a silver one on auto trader for months at £14995 so it might not be far off!!

In think that one was from err a 'Dubious' garage though ? links with Keighly...barge pole. This one should be a lot higher .

Didn't sell ....... looks like someone missed a bargain.

Stuart

No bids? Or it didn't meet the reserve?

Sorry, looked and the site again later and it now says sold for ....

..... £24640 !!!

Stuart

Must have been updating the results when I first looked, as others have now been noted as sold ......... assuming a 10% buyer's premium it looks like the seller cleared £22,000 - that's more like it!

Stuart

Last edited:
Hoping Olly has some news....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom