CLA 45 AMG vs Tesla 3 Performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From a 4pot 2L, that is impressive, but longevity (of key components) is not something I would hold out hope for.
Funny, but about half of that from my ' noobed' Saab 2L was both impressive and adequate only a few years ago
Although as pointed out above/ another thread? Evos were running over 400bhp over 20 years ago (with tuning) and still going now... and that engine was already about 10 years old by then! Although the service intervals weren't great. And I think a few went pop above 400bhp 😬
There's a lovely evo VI extreme rs450 for sale at the mo. One of one in that colour. Weird nomenclature though as I think this was 450 for the lbft, whereas others were for bhp.... but it never made close to that torque....???

EDIT: Sorry for the tangent 🙄

Last edited:
Nobody's mentioned the elephant in the room yet, either.

Drive both fifty miles cars to the drag strip starting with full tank/battery; do the full-bore drag runs; drive away to where you started from.

Drive both cars fifty miles to the drag strip as before; do the full-bore drag runs ten times; drive the Mercedes away to where it started from, drive the Tesla to a recharging point 'cos there's not much left in the battery...?
Because, of course, the key metric in a 1/4 mile drag race is the ability to drive from lands end to john o’groats without stopping…..

Any vehicle, regardless of energy store is going to burn it’s ’fuel’ when actually using the full power potential of the propulsion system.

Still, I agree with an earlier comment, it’s an entirely pointless comparison. Other than for the purposes of manhood waving, who cares? Both are stupidly quick, both can get you to licence losing speeds more than quickly enough.

I begin to question the wisdom of this entire section tbh. Every thread seems to descend into the inevitable ICE good, EV bad Monty Python style argument.

Enjoy ICE while we can, prepare for EV, ‘cos it’s coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2.3 Aero was also Noobtuned. I thought it was fast until I bought my first E55...
2.3 Aero was very impressive for it’s time...I had a few SAABs but never the Aero.

Well it is a no contest,I was behind a Tesla 3 at a large roundabout we are both looking for a break in the traffic,it comes I see the Tesla move I check the gap and go no sign of the Tesla my passenger went woo,thats gone,I missed it by checking the gap was still there that Tesla just took off.all that said I would still not buy one.
We were behind one (the big one - Model S?) in France waiting to pass a lorry - he hit the go button and my wife was gobsmacked at the performance. She never normally notices stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because, of course, the key metric in a 1/4 mile drag race car is the ability to drive from lands end to john o’groats without stopping.
I did wonder how much fuel the CLA was carrying for the drag race? Tesla's battery "fuel load" would be constant "empty or full"- which introduces a source of annoyance trend for recent ICE model car owners of a marked reduction in fuel tank size [hence kerb weight] over the years presumably to help in emission tests???

Because, of course, the key metric in a 1/4 mile drag race is the ability to drive from lands end to john o’groats without stopping…..

Any vehicle, regardless of energy store is going to burn it’s ’fuel’ when actually using the full power potential of the propulsion system.

Still, I agree with an earlier comment, it’s an entirely pointless comparison. Other than for the purposes of manhood waving, who cares? Both are stupidly quick, both can get you to licence losing speeds more than quickly enough.

I begin to question the wisdom of this entire section tbh. Every thread seems to descend into the inevitable ICE good, EV bad Monty Python style argument.

Enjoy ICE while we can, prepare for EV, ‘cos it’s coming.
The point I made, which you have entirely missed, relates to the practicality of a high-performance car in which using the performance reduces the 'fuel load', and therefore the remaining range, proportionally far more than doing the same in an ICE car. That may be why I rarely see a Tesla in the right-hand lane of the motorway as I trundle along at 85 mph, still with 500 miles' range left in the tank.

The point I made, which you have entirely missed, relates to the practicality of a high-performance car in which using the performance reduces the 'fuel load', and therefore the remaining range, proportionally far more than doing the same in an ICE car. That may be why I rarely see a Tesla in the right-hand lane of the motorway as I trundle along at 85 mph, still with 500 miles' range left in the tank.
And of course, not only do you lose range, but as the battery charge drops, so does the performance. Lots of data on this now showing performance loss even at 75% charge, and continuing to drop as charge decreases.

Added to this some EVs only give max torque/power in launch mode, but as this thread is about 1/4 miles I guess that doesn't matter.

I suppose some ICE cars may suffer performance loss due to heat soak, but if we're talking about "performance" cars, this shouldn't be an issue...?

I didn’t miss it, I just don’t think it’s all that pertinent to the original piece.

Maybe you don’t see too many Tesla in the overtaking lane when you are doing 85 mph because they are more law abiding??

I get it, you don’t like EV and never will, that's perfectly fine, but what’s the point in endlessly posting ‘ah but’ all the time? Anyone with an interest is likely to be well aware of the issues, or at least they should be. Would you be going to the same lengths to discourage someone that only does short trips from buying a diesel?

As I said eariler, I honestly question the value of this sub section, it's getting as contentious as the politics section a lot of the time.

I’ll make this my last post here, feel free to carry, on but I’m out.

I didn’t miss it, I just don’t think it’s all that pertinent to the original piece.

Maybe you don’t see too many Tesla in the overtaking lane when you are doing 85 mph because they are more law abiding??

I get it, you don’t like EV and never will, that's perfectly fine, but what’s the point in endlessly posting ‘ah but’ all the time? Anyone with an interest is likely to be well aware of the issues, or at least they should be. Would you be going to the same lengths to discourage someone that only does short trips from buying a diesel?

As I said eariler, I honestly question the value of this sub section, it's getting as contentious as the politics section a lot of the time.

People hate change. But it should be embraced. It’s gonna happen.
My old dad loved his fax machine. Hated emailing. 😁

People hate change. But it should be embraced. It’s gonna happen.
My old dad loved his fax machine. Hated emailing. 😁
I don't hate EV cars. I dislike them for several reasons but hatred of change isn't one of them! There is certainly an air of inevitability, but I believe that's largely due to a hugely over-hyped benefit to the planet. But I do think anyone getting a PERFORMANCE EV for green reasons is one of the biggest hypocrites out there. Or extremely naive. But this is thread drift.

PS I still prefer carrier pigeon to facsimile and have 60 pigeons to take messages to friends and family. Much greener than modern methods, just slightly slower.

Although as pointed out above/ another thread? Evos were running over 400bhp over 20 years ago (with tuning) and still going now... and that engine was already about 10 years old by then! Although the service intervals weren't great. And I think a few went pop above 400bhp 😬
There's a lovely evo VI extreme rs450 for sale at the mo. One of one in that colour. Weird nomenclature though as I think this was 450 for the lbft, whereas others were for bhp.... but it never made close to that torque....???

EDIT: Sorry for the tangent 🙄
If m memory services me bonnet up ever 2500 miles and use to go through clutches at a great pace.

I've nothing against EVs per se; once the range and charging problems are solved and the prices are reasonable, I'd buy one if it met my needs. None do at present. A hybrid might be a different matter, of course; I don't know.

Possibly Tesla drivers are a law-abiding bunch, but when I buy a performance car, it is with the intention of using that performance, otherwise why bother?

Yes, I would very strongly advise anyone who only does short trips not to buy a diesel.

Feel free to make it your last post; we'll try not to miss you too much...

Never ever buy a tesla. looked at one seriously about 3 years back ... so glad i didnt. happy with my dirty black farting C270!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom