CLA 45 versus hedge ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
We were at a dog agility show in Dorset this weekend ... woke up on Saturday morning to find a rather sorry-looking CLA 45 that had come through the hedge in the night! The company named on the numberplates and rear window states on their website that they have been "providing prestige cars to professional footballers for over 10 years" so hopefully nobody here?!

You can see in the background where it came through the hedgerow and fence

There was some damage to the roof but not clear whether it had rolled or not

Main thing I guess was that it didn't look like anyone would have been hurt. From the number of panels damaged I guess the car would be a write off, despite being pretty new?

It's an automatic write off if the roof is damaged.

If that is the damage a football player can cause driving a powerful car, then maybe he should stick to using his right foot to dribble.

(That's if it was a football player driving that car. If the company mainly supplies professional footballers, I find it highly unlikely that it wasn't a footballer driving that car).

Although it looks harmless enough the bend is a apparently a known black spot. There was a more serious accident there when we were at the same show a couple of years ago (car upside down in the road then, emergency services on site for approx. 3 hours).

I just love that word, 'blackspot'. What it essentially means is that someone is religiously sticking to the speed limit, or maybe exceeding that limit, without taking road conditions or other traffic in to account.

Unfortunately, the person in the wrong isn't always the one that suffers the accident. A vehicle upside down in a dyke near where I lived was forced off the road by an oncoming lorry on the wrong side of the road, going too fast for the condition of the road. Crap happens unfortunately.

Doesnt look like its rolled, just that its been through that hedge in a spin I reckon.

It's an automatic write off if the roof is damaged.

No its not :confused::confused::confused:

My brother had this damage:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/driv...orget-you-have-cycle-rack-bike-your-roof.html

To his then 6 year old 5 Series and it wasnt written off:

24789_113742385313159_1000003219513.jpg

Last edited:
...... A vehicle upside down in a dyke near where I lived was forced off the road by an oncoming lorry on the wrong side of the road, going too fast for the condition of the road.

Do Hamilton Waste and Recycling operate in your part of the country then ?

That passenger side front wing and door doesn't look too clever and there appears to be a dent in the roof ?? and I imagine that the genuine AMG "plastic bits" will be eyewateringly expensive but looks as if it could be gracing a used prestige car dealer lot with a "one careful owner" description in a couple of months no problem :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No its not :confused::confused::confused:

I can only go on what the engineer told us, and that is that if the roof suffers any sort of damage, it is considered a write off.

Remember that there are four grades of write off, and that a Category D could mean that the car is written off, but can be repaired at the owners expense, minus contribution from the insurer.

Category A: scrap only. For cars so badly damaged they should be crushed and never re-appear on the road. Even salvageable parts must be destroyed.
Category B: body shell should be crushed. Signifies extensive damage, although some parts are salvageable. Should never re-appear on road, although reclaimed parts can be used in other road-going vehicles.
Category C: the vehicle is repairable but the costs exceed the vehicle’s value. Can re-appear on road.
Category D: the vehicle is repairable but repair costs are significant compared to the vehicle value – including time delays to source parts. Can re-appear on road.

Did your brother have to contribute towards repair, or did the insurer fund the whole job?

I can only go on what the engineer told us, and that is that if the roof suffers any sort of damage, it is considered a write off.

Did your brother have to contribute towards repair, or did the insurer fund the whole job?

Only the £150 excess...

Interpretation of the rules is a minefield. For example, the CLA in the opening post could have probably been repaired, but as soon as the Police draped it with their blue and white tape, it would become a write off.

I mean, what self respecting owner could possible drive a car that has been tarnished with such a unfashionable tape. Even if you could remove the blue and white tape, the Police Aware sticker would be enough to warrant a Category A write off.

;)

.... The company named on the numberplates and rear window states on their website that they have been "providing prestige cars to professional footballers for over 10 years"...
I think this car was on sale recently on the very web site you mentioned..

See premiersportssolutions.com

I took this snap shot couple of weeks ago, as I was interested in buying it.

I finally decided on going for a brand new one.

Yup that's the company - looks very much like the same car.

Interesting advert for a well specced car - I guess it goes to prove that the listed "collision prevention assist" and the "active park assist" are not fully optimised. It's not all bad new though - the "attention assist" appears to be working tip top.
:bannana:

Last edited:
I don't think it was a footballer driving.

More like a City type.

Probably a hedge fund manager... ... ...

Could have been a tobacco company executive - Bendsome & Hedges perhaps ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom