CLA facelift with CarPlay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The GL range looks super smart. BMW mate of mine disagrees...

Has anyone got CarPlay to work? I've got a 2016 cla and the wife has a 2016 a class.

Are there any requirements? Command? Certain cables?

Has anyone got CarPlay to work? I've got a 2016 cla and the wife has a 2016 a class.

Are there any requirements? Command? Certain cables?

I was messing around today with the new GLC. My iPhone5S said press the talking face button on the steering wheel (and hold) but after a minute I was bored of waiting - the phone just said it was looking for available cars. I have no clue if it was actually doing anything. I'll try again another time. The phone was paired with BT. I may try again with it connected by USB.

Not a lot of use, sorry, but the good news is that there was no immediate error message. Also not sure if it would be relevant, but this phone doesn't currently tether with the car for internet data either, so more permutations are required when I have a better SIM/package. :fail

MartynW said:
I was messing around today with the new GLC. My iPhone5S said press the talking face button on the steering wheel (and hold) but after a minute I was bored of waiting - the phone just said it was looking for available cars. I have no clue if it was actually doing anything. I'll try again another time. The phone was paired with BT. I may try again with it connected by USB. Not a lot of use, sorry, but the good news is that there was no immediate error message. Also not sure if it would be relevant, but this phone doesn't currently tether with the car for internet data either, so more permutations are required when I have a better SIM/package. :fail

Yes I have the Internet problem also. I've tried ringing the dealer but no one know how to activate CarPlay. I've referred to the manual and it should appear in tel.. But it doesn't.

Nah, it's still minging.

They've always looked like one of those bottom-feeding jellies that scuttle across seabeds.

It is now an option as of the facelift.

Late pre facelift ones could've had it as an option but unlikely.

What is mentioned above ^ about waiting basically means rhe car does not have it.

It is possible to retrofit Smartphone integration with Carplay and Google Automotive Link to some vehicles with COMAND NTG5*1 .. (but not W212 strangely) (and Note W205/W253/new Vito/W222 are NTG5*2)

The retrofit is more than just coding..

Richard

A-Class - W176 (09/15- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015
• B-Class - W242EV ((USA 06/14- ) 11/14- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015 • B-Class - W246 (11/14- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015
• B-Class - W242NGD (11/14- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015
• CLA - C117 (04/13- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015
• CLA - X117 (03/15- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015
• CLS - C218 (09/14- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015
• CLS - X218 (09/14- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015
• E-Class - C207 (05/13- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015
• E-Class - A207 (05/13- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015
• GLA - X156 (03/14- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015
• GLE - C292 (07/15- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015
• M-GLE-Class - W166 ((USA 08/15) 09/15- ): only for NTG 5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015

I have car play and it works, I don't see the point of it, also if you use navigation it uses your phone not the car navigation. I can use the phone book and music if I use the other USB point. Apple play pointless?

Car play isn't an option on GLC or C Class. It's standard now on A, B, CLA, GLA, SL, E, GLE, GLS. Optional on SLC

I have car play and it works, I don't see the point of it, also if you use navigation it uses your phone not the car navigation. I can use the phone book and music if I use the other USB point. Apple play pointless?

I assume Apple car play should allow you to use a familiar and fluid iOS interface on your in-car screen, effectively using it as a 'monitor'? Rather than rely on the slow Mercedes system (struggles with an instruction manual and the web browsing speed is absolutely dire)

With a larger catalogue of apps.

When you upgrade your phone with more RAM/faster processor the Mercedes system will still have its original aging hardware.

Also the iOS can be user upgraded, where the standard in car system's OS can't?

V8 Animal said:

Did you have to set anything up? Or is it just plug and play?

My wife has a brand new a class and it doesn't work

Did you have to set anything up? Or is it just plug and play?

My wife has a brand new a class and it doesn't work

I've noticed the Apple Carplay is a 'no cost option' in the MB online configurator, which is not selected as default, so you have to select, if required.

In the iOS on your phone under General > Carplay you have to initiate a handshake and supposedly press and hold the voice control button on the steering wheel to kick start the start up process.

It's standard on any car built from June onwards and cannot be de-selected. If your car has it, plug your phone in via the right USB under the armrest and you'll have to click connect when it pops up on your phone. Prior to June it was a cost option

I've noticed the Apple Carplay is a 'no cost option' in the MB online configurator, which is not selected as default, so you have to select, if required.

In the iOS on your phone under General > Carplay you have to initiate a handshake and supposedly press and hold the voice control button on the steering wheel to kick start the start up process.

No, you simply plug your phone in and it will pop up on the screen in the car asking if you want to start Apple car play

No, you simply plug your phone in and it will pop up on the screen in the car asking if you want to start Apple car play

yes to USB

but for wireless, via Wifi/bluetooth you need to handshake with Carplay?

uumode said:
yes to USB but for wireless, via Wifi/bluetooth you need to handshake with Carplay?

It must not work in my wife's, I've plugged into the second usb with the apple lighting cable and nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom