CLA - Shooting Brake vs Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Markae

Car
TBC
Hi Everyone,

I’m looking at leasing a new 2021 CLA but cannot decide between the Shooting Brake or the Coupe. Both look very nice but for the cost its either Prem on the SB or Prem Plus on the Coupe ..so a nice sunroof if I go for the Coupe.

I have two young kids so rear legroom not an issue but a good boot comes im handy for longer trips (otherwise most of the time its just me going to work!).

Anyone got any experiences or views they can share?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking at leasing a new 2021 CLA but cannot decide between the Shooting Brake or the Coupe. Both look very nice but for the cost its either Prem on the SB or Prem Plus on the Coupe ..so a nice sunroof if I go for the Coupe.

I have two young kids so rear legroom not an issue but a good boot comes im handy for longer trips (otherwise most of the time its just me going to work!).

Thanks,

Mark
I meant to add - its the CLA 250e (hybrid) so you lose 60 litres boot space on the coupe! Shooting brake unaffected so circa 500L boot capacity.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Mark
Mark, I have no experience of either model, but the Shooting Brake sounds more child friendly, even if it means you need to spend a touch more for your sunroof. No bad decision, both look wonderful cars.

I agree. A SB definitely the one to have with the children.

I've got the 2018 SB had from new its a fantastic car can't fault it 👌

Here's mine 26k on it now👍

Attachments

• 20210113_203858.jpg
    20210113_203858.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210113_203912.jpg
    20210113_203912.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-20210113-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210113-WA0007.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 12
20210113-201712.jpg
[/url]

Great colour and lines , kinda like a CLS SB , only critesisms is big inelegant headlights with yellow halogen bulbs , sorry 😬

I meant to add - its the CLA 250e (hybrid) so you lose 60 litres boot space on the coupe! Shooting brake unaffected so circa 500L boot capacity.
Are you sure the boot of the SB is not affected by the hybrid? Where has the battery gone?

on E class, there's a big lump in the saloon and estate

Great colour and lines , kinda like a CLS SB , only critesisms is big inelegant headlights with yellow halogen bulbs , sorry 😬
Totally agree should of gone with the daytime running lights etc but the colour was extra plus if I remember right the light upgrade was around £1500 ,it's only the wifes work car so it didn't really bother me

Go for the shooting brake, the children may be small now.... but how long will you have the car?
How big will they be then,.... want to take bikes to the park?
Days Out/ Holidays ....(when they happen) packing all the stuf/toys in.

The feeling of a ‘sexy’ coupe will soon turn to frustration, when you are trying to cram stuff in.
:rock:

Definitely go for the SB if you have small children and have loads of paraphernalia to cart around with them. I've had the Coupe for about a week and I doubt I'd have got all my sons junk in this boot when he was little.
On the flip side, he's 16 and over 6' tall, he's not so keen on the idea of sitting in the back for long, leg room is ok, but the prem plus has the sunroof hence reduced headroom in the back :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am leaning towards to the Shooting Brake for the added practicality and it also still looks very stylish. Although there is a better discount rate on the coupe at the moment so you do get a bit more for your money. I've also been told there is going to be an increased delay on the coupe model (probably a combination of demand and brexit/covid impacts) - I'm waiting to find out on Monday if the SB model is less affected. There was a question on the Shooting Brake not being impacted by the batteries - that's correct - you get a reduction of boot size on the coupe but NOT on the SB - not sure how they've managed that tbh.

Are you sure the boot of the SB is not affected by the hybrid? Where has the battery gone?

on E class, there's a big lump in the saloon and estate
Yes - if you look at the CLA brochure it will confirm SB model not affected by the batteries but Coupe is reduced. Like you I was wondering how they've managed it!

Yes - if you look at the CLA brochure it will confirm SB model not affected by the batteries but Coupe is reduced. Like you I was wondering how they've managed it!
the brochure may be wrong

doesn't make sense that they would go through the engineering hassle and expense of putting the large battery elsewhere on SB ..

if it could fit in the spare wheel well, why isn't that also done on coupe?

if they could fit the battery behind the rear seats low enough to retain original boot floor in SB, why not also on coupe?

doesn't make sense to me .. coupe and SB is on the same platform, and are the same length. There isn't any additional floor plan space on SB

the brochure may be wrong

doesn't make sense that they would go through the engineering hassle and expense of putting the large battery elsewhere on SB ..

It's not a huge battery - allegedly under the passenger seats.

And the fuel tank is small.

I don't see any 'real world' economy figures for this vehicle - just an astronomically high MPG which is presumably based on running down the battery - so doesn't give any realistic idea of just how far that 35litre fuel tank will do if you take the car away from its home turf. I guess if your daily driving keeps mainly within the battery range and you are diligent in keeping it charged then that's its optimal usage - with the ability to go another 280 to 300 miles extra if required.

It's not a huge battery - allegedly under the passenger seats.

And the fuel tank is small.

I don't see any 'real world' economy figures for this vehicle - just an astronomically high MPG which is presumably based on running down the battery - so doesn't give any realistic idea of just how far that 35litre fuel tank will do if you take the car away from its home turf. I guess if your daily driving keeps mainly within the battery range and you are diligent in keeping it charged then that's its optimal usage - with the ability to go another 280 to 300 miles extra if required.
Mines just the normal SB and fuel figures are amazing to be fair i can get 50+mpg all day long

Mines just the normal SB and fuel figures are amazing to be fair i can get 50+mpg all day long

But you're presumably not hauling a battery and extra electric motor with presumably some sort of extra drive into the transmission or other point in the drivetrain. This is where hybrids tend to get less optimal once you lose the benefits of the battery. Because at that point you are hauling the electrics with no benefit.

That said I've had 60+ mpg from a Hyunadia Ioniq on long motorway journeys. Which surprised me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom