CLA Warranty Exhaust Repair Hell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cheesyboofs

Car
CLA 220D AMG 2015
Hi Chaps,

I'm after some advice for those more experienced with Mercedez than me.

My automatic CLA still under warranty, would randomly not change gear after just over an hours worth of driving. Basically if you pull out at a junction or roundabout it would rev to 3000rpm in 1st then (eventually) lurch into 2nd, rev to 3000rpm and then lurch into 3rd, you get the picture. This was worse when you jumped out into the 3rd lane on the motorway, put your foot down with a BMW bearing down on you only for it to sit there in 4th at 3000rpm waiting for it to change up.

Whats worse is when this fault happens, the paddles and sport select switch cease to function so you cant even put it in manual mode. You have to pull over on the motorway and turn the car off. This only lasts a few miles then the fault comes back.

• 10th/04/2018 - Booked car in for service and recall on steering column, earthing issue, reported gear change issue after approximately 1hr of driving.
  • 20th/04/2018 – Car delivered to Hughes for recall, service & now engine management light on due to reported fault with gear change. On car collection told car on ramp too long doing service & recall to look at engine management light or reported fault. “we only have 20 ramps and 70+ cars to look at” On enquiry as to what the engine management light related too was told couldn’t check as this would reset condition. Would have to book car in again to have reported fault and engine management light investigated. Car re-booked in on collection for 03rd/05/2018.
  • 03rd/05/2018 – Car delivered to Hughes again to have engine management & erratic gear change issue investigated. Told that fault code related to fault in the exhaust system, a ‘flap’, ‘parts on order’. We retake ownership of car with engine management light extinguished.
  • 21st/05/2018 – Car recovered to Hughes, no longer safe to drive, gear change issue unpredictable at roundabouts and engine management light on again, MOT now expired.
  • 23rd/05/2018 – Requested hire car from Mercedes Benz, car delivered, E-Class AWD Estate.
  • 06th/06/2018 – Chased ETA on parts with both Hughes & Mercedes Benz customer service requesting escalation. No update.
  • 15th/06/2018 – Hire car sent back to Mercedes Benz c/o Europcar, too expensive to run. Still no ETA on parts or repair.
  • 23rd/07/2018 - Parts still on order due to "supply chain issue" with no ETA
Is this normal?
Should I have to wait for over three months for an in warranty repair on an Exhaust on a CLA?
Does this fault sound like a 'flap' in the exhaust?
Is there a known supply chain issue with CLA exhausts?

Your thoughts appreciated, I don't know when I will ever get my car back and it's now not even funny!

I’d have kept the E-class loaner for longer :)

Tell me about it. My fleet manager said If I'd kept it any longer he'd have to declare it for tax plus it was costing over a hundred pound a week in fuel as it was 3ltr 4WD. But now we've lost our bargaining chip ... !
We should have just left it in the car park or at least had it downgraded ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom