CLA - whats the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maxima

Car
W211
I looked at new CLA, CLS, E Class.. I don't understand what they are trying to achieve there..

It seems to me that CLS is kinda luxury E. And CLA is luxury version of A.

I don't understand why used CLA are more expensive than CLS in that case.. its counter intuitive..

What am I missing here?

Used price will be a function of age and demand.

What am I missing here?

Nothing from what I saw this morning, a black CLA180. It's a real love it or hate looking car and it's going to be interesting to see how used prices stack up in a couple of years time. I think the glass is half empty in the long term .

The CLA looks like a smaller version of the W205, and in this sense it is a fresh design and a showcase of things to come.

The current CLS is a facelifted version of an aging car and as such it represents the outgoing design.

In addition the CLA is somewhat of a novelty being the first 4-door saloon from MB smaller than the C-Class, so it is a new concept for MB, while the CLS class of saloon/coupe hybrid may have been revolutionary when introduced some 10 years ago, but by now it is nothing new.

The above does not reflect on the cars' qualities, it is just an attempt to explain the discrepancies in desirability and market demand between the two models.

In short it is new vs. old...

Don'tforget the two largest markets prefer saloon cars to hhatchbacks. Hatchbacks are a very European thing.

Anomalies in markets can be quite interesting. Used examples of cars costing more than new because of demand etc. Remember when the VW Beetle (90's version) first arrived? People jumping the waiting list to import LHD versions and paying top dollar for them. *slightly* easier to come by now. And in RHD.

Anomalies in markets can be quite interesting. Used examples of cars costing more than new because of demand etc. Remember when the VW Beetle (90's version) first arrived? People jumping the waiting list to import LHD versions and paying top dollar for them. *slightly* easier to come by now. And in RHD.

...and when the new Mini came out it suffered zero depreciation over the first year - you could sell it after 12 months for the same price you bought it new.

Where did i say i compared new to used.. And which car in question is a hatchback?

I regret i asked now

Peace

Used price will be a function of age and demand.

...correct, and new prices are mostly a function of demand. When a specific car model is unwanted/unloved by the public, the manufacturer incentivises sales through discounts and 'special offers'.

Not suggesting that the CLS is an 'unwanted' car, but it is a bit long in the tooth and that segment now has competition from Audi and BMW.

Not suggesting that the CLS is an 'unwanted' car, but it is a bit long in the tooth and that segment now has competition from Audi and BMW.

It's not that long in the tooth and it's a decent car.

IME it's astonishing how some people spend their money - they'll cough for a Qashqai or an X3 or an Insignia and spec it up without realising that they are paying the same as something rather better.

I've seen people quite happy to sign up for deal on an 'AMG' C220 that exceeds the cost of an E250 or even a CLS.

My feeling when I see a CLA on the road is that it fits into that Qashqai/X3/Mini category - some people are attracted to the idea and don't look much further - their heart rules their heads. My feeling each time I see a CLA is to think "you could have done something better with your money". To be fair - people can point at some of my product purchasuig decisions (cars or otherwise) and probably say the same thing.

The CLS is no doubt a fine car, but the novelty factor has gone while the CLA looks fresh.

I used to drive an Omega... great German car for very little money. When it was introduced in 1994, it was hailed in car tests as 'better than a 5-Series'. In the mid and late 90', Omegas were a very common site on UK road. But from 2000 onwards sales declined sharply in spite of a significant facelift, and eventually the model was dropped altogether in 2003. The public is used to getting new models, and you can only sell a car for that long, regardless of how good it is. 911 not withstanding....

Nothing from what I saw this morning, a black CLA180. It's a real love it or hate looking car

I think you're right.

I saw one this morning and I hate them - black strangely.

Not a nice looking car and I suspect you could have had a lot more for the money but each to their own.

Important to note that the CLA is targeting different demographics i.e. younger audience . The CLS although a great car might be associated with older people and the perception rightly or wrong is not going to change that easily
If you want to see that you only need to going to spend a bit of time at MB Brooklands and see the different in the demographics when people are looking/spending time in the cars. It was an interesting observation I made during my recent visits.

Theo

Anyone who pays more for a second hand CLA than a "like for like" CLS needs their head examined. :crazy: Front wheel drive twin clutch gearbox car built in Hungary V a rear wheel drive 7 speed torque converter box German built car. Its Premier League and Football League territory . If someone really wants a "CLA type" car buy a VW CC---- better car for less money than the CLA . :eek:

And yet... there are loads of new A-Class (all variants) on our roads. In spite of what we might think of these cars, Joe Public likes them...

Orion, Jetta.. nothing wrong with these cars, if you don't mind the overhang at the back.

Orions and Jettas aren't pimped within an inch of their lives like CLA are.

I blame the way they are sold...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom