CLA45 AMG mpg / questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SquabzZz

Car
2017 GLC220 4MATIC
Hey people

Im considering a CLA45 AMG as my next car (when my Smart lease is up)..

I had a CLC 180K Sport before which sadly she got stolen :( and got the smart to save up and have a couple of years of cheap motoring (my previous car before CLC was a MR2 Turbo over 300bhp) but now circumstances have changed and me and my partner can afford a luxury car with a punch :devil: still wont be for another year but like doing my research..

The more I see a CLA45 AMG on the internet or on the road the more I like them. I know that compared to other AMG's they have a lot smaller engine but their power output is impressive.

So I have a couple of questions to anyone that owns a CLA45 or even a A45 (my MRS wont even consider a a45 :wallbash:)

1. Realistically when driving with a feather foot what MPG can you achieve on the motorway, city and combined (not what MB says ;))

2. Boost and lag.. When driving with a light foot in a high gear (gear 4 in 30 mph) or 7 at 70 mph if you plant your foot down is there a delay before the car starts going. Or is it the sort of car you really need to downshift to get it moving..

and 3. the 4 wheel drive system. I know most of the time its in FWD but when needed goes into 4, but does the car have to be completely driven hard for this to occur or is it more when the car detects a minor slip or speed difference in wheels. and whats the 4 wheel drive like on track ..

Sorry for the long questions but I rather ask people that drive them everyday than watch youtube clips that reviewers are using the car for 10 mins thrashing around. :thumb:

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Mpg is always a difficult one to be objective about as what is "normal" driving. My A45 has just done 5K miles with an average of 26 mpg over that. On a steady motorway run I can get 37-38. This is driving around the 70 mark though to be honest more over than under. I drove through London yesterday with an average 25. If I enjoy the car's performance then it's high teens at the most. In comfort mode it's very lazy to take off. Manual or sport or much sharper. You really don't notice the 4wd just the fact it has a silly amount of grip. Hope his helps.

Cheers for the reply buddy

Sounds all good can't wait to take one out for a spin

I know nothing about them aside from the fact that they look hot but I didn't know they were a CLA??!!! Excited for you... I sympathise about the CLC. I've just had a CLC220 & I'd be gutted if mine was taken!! :(

I know nothing about them aside from the fact that they look hot but I didn't know they were a CLA??!!! Excited for you... I sympathise about the CLC. I've just had a CLC220 & I'd be gutted if mine was taken!! :(

A45 came first and then CLA45 was launched later - CLA "same" as A class but about 4k more expensive per model iirc

A45 and GLA45 made in Rastatt
CLA45 made in Hungary

All basically the same mechanically.

45 AMG engine is currently the highest bhp/litre of any production engine, although VW may have the new record soon.

If you are worried about mpg and/or turbo lag after driving a Smart (turbos aren't they??) then I would say its not the car for you.

See my report a year on above. I think you will detect I like the A45!

A45 and GLA45 made in Rastatt
CLA45 made in Hungary

All basically the same mechanically.

45 AMG engine is currently the highest bhp/litre of any production engine, although VW may have the new record soon.

If you are worried about mpg and/or turbo lag after driving a Smart (turbos aren't they??) then I would say its not the car for you.

Iv had thirsty cars before the reason I asked is because the engines are a lot smaller than your normal 6.3 amg machines. Which have been a bit too thirsty for me

But the 45 AMG seems to tick the box

Iv heard people say it's the most highest bhp / litre but it's not true the evo 8 MR FQ400 is
400 bhp from a 2 litre

45 AMG engine is currently the highest bhp per litre of any production engine, although VW may have the new record soon.

I've heard people say it's the highest bhp per litre but it's not true, the evo 8 MR FQ400 was 400 bhp from a 2 litre

I think the original poster was referring to engines / cars in current production..

See my report a year on above. I think you will detect I like the A45!

Just read it mate

30 mpg for that power is excellent

And 42 mpg after !!!!

I want one

Iv heard people say it's the most highest bhp / litre but it's not true the evo 8 MR FQ400 is
400 bhp from a 2 litre

A fragile, highly tuned engine cannot be compared to a mass produced engine.

The FQ400, sold through Ralliart UK, produces 411 PS (302 kW; 405 hp) from its 2.0 L 4G63 engine, the result of special modifications by United Kingdom tuning firms Rampage Tuning, Owen Developments, and Flow Race Engines.

Evo FQ440..... but it doesn't count either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom