CLA45 AMG or C63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spice52

Car
C350 CDi AMG
What do you think?

like many I would love to own a C63, but I’m also really tempted by the CLA45

Appreciate the C63 is more of a beast, with way more torque but the day to day performances looks to be tiny, in fact some comparison videos sees the CLA much faster off the mark.

As the CLA looks to be considerably cheaper to buy and run, and day to day a better car according to some ?

Has anyone owned, or driven both and got any thoughts?

thanks lots 👏👏

What do you think?

Appreciate the C63 is more of a beast, with way more torque but the day to day performances looks to be tiny, in fact some comparison videos sees the CLA much faster off the mark.

As the CLA looks to be considerably cheaper to buy and run, and day to day a better car according to some ?

thanks lots 👏👏
A C200 will get you there just as comfortably, and at much less cost .

Why be in a hurry ? You can’t exploit these cars without breaking the law ...

Plenty of time to get a 4 pot CLA.
Get into a V8 C63 before its too late.
Great advice 👍🏻

I suspect the CLA45 will be as fast or faster in the world because of the advantage of 4matic, it will be easier to translate the power to forward motion more of the time.

However as AMGeed suggested, the CLA45 experience (in-line four cylinder, 4matic) will be around for a while longer whereas this is now the last hurrah for the V8 RWD.

I would suggest you take both for a drive. I really wanted to like the A45/CLA45 but found it a little bit to intense as a driving experience, it didn’t have a soft and gentle side at all.

Whereas even the latest versions of the 63 can still just about waft - despite being more aggressive than AMG cars of old - and for me that’a part of the magic AMG formula.

I’ve owned a CLA45 for 4 years now, performs the rocket ship/sedate estate dichotomy rather well. Goes like stink when I need it too, ride is mostly acceptable although the tyres are bloody noisy on the south part of M25
probably averages 30mpg overall, some tanks hover a little lower if I’m just running down to the shops and back too much, but have achieved 39mpg when in no rush whatsoever. Grip is unbelievable but it’s very front wheel drive biased, you’ll probably only realise this if you take it on track
tyres last much better than they allegedly do on a C63, fronts were replaced at 15k, second set going very strong at their own 15k (car has now done 30k), only replaced the rears because I punctured one and changed them both so they match - suspect they were less than the fronts
Downsides? gearbox can be a bit slow witted round town, probably more something I look for rather than feel. And that the lease has run out so I need to replace it or pay off and keep

dealer obviously trying to get me into a new CLA45 but they are £60k, and even allowing for Mercedes easy payment plan 😂 it’s a lot of money when I start looking at what else that much would buy. Proper C63 very much on the radar - have been monitoring C63 507 models for 6 months now, would put a C63BS at the top of the list, but other than one cheaper one that has been on sale forever, they are too much of a stretch. Just noticed that AMG GT have fallen to just below £60k so need to go and look at one of them

or be sensible, keep trying to extend the CLA45 PCP and see where the market (and my employment prospects) are in 6-12 months🙀

Best thing to do? Go and try them to see what works best for you

I’ve owned both the W204 C63 and the W176 A45 (not quite a CLA) and I liked both cars for different reasons.
C63 pros
1. It has to be the V8 engine, tremendous sound and performance.
2. The W204 has road presence and is a good looking car.
3. Seats four in relative comfort on long trips.
4. During 3 years of ownership had no issues.
5. Returned 27/9 mpg driving like miss daisy on long trips.
6. The most important pro for me was every time I drove it, it would bring a smile to my face.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the C63 and I regretted selling it to this day. I only used it as a Sunday car and during the winter months it was SORN’d. I never intended to use it as a daily car therefore some might say my opinion is biased.

C63 cons
1. Returned 19 mpg day to day driving or low teens under heavy right foot.
2. Not the best of brakes under harsh braking whilst driving enthusiastically.
3. Relatively firm suspension but that’s all part and parcel of the AMG experience.
4. Handling not as sharp as others in the bends due to it’s weight.
5.Too many modified C63’s (W204) on the second hand market with high number of owners ( not a concern for some but it would be for me).

None of the above would deter me from purchasing a W204 C63.

A45 pros.
1. I like the aesthetics of the A45 with all the different packages available which are a must to make the vehicle stand out in a crowd.
2. Handles like a go-kart on rails. Virtually no body roll and the quicker one goes (within the limits) the more it grips.
3. Tremendous torque from the turbo engine when in the correct rev range and driving mode.
4. I mainly use it on A and B class roads and the handling is superior to the W204 C63 I owned. It’s steering and brakes are sharper and it feels more alive.
5. The sports exhaust brings pops and bangs to the table but these can be avoided if that’s not your cup of tea.
6. Like the C63 above it’s a good looking car and has road presence when spec‘d correctly.
7. Averages 37 mpg on a run.
8. Cheaper (not much) to run than the W204 C63 with regards servicing, warranty, tyres and fuel.

A45 cons
1. Hard suspension (If no adaptive dampers) which eventually becomes uncomfortable over a long journey.
2. Gets a reputation as being a boy racer car especially when the aero kit is fitted.
3. Not viewed as a true AMG by fellow Merc owners because it‘s a four pot.
4. Not the largest of cars especially if carrying more than 2 passenger.
5. Not a car I would use every day.

My A45 is also a Sunday summer car and my advice is don’t knock it or CLA until you have experienced it. The A45 serves my needs in that there is only me who goes in it because Mrs.B is not interested in cars and kids all grown up. I mainly drive on A and B roads so I don’t need a big luxury AMG cruiser so the little pocket rocket is the perfect toy.

All the above is imo after owning both vehicles but others may have a difference of opinion.

Hope that helps.

What do you think?

thanks lots 👏👏

W204 C63.

Thank you all for the excellent information 👏👏👏👏👍👍👍👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom