Claire Squires Marathon Runner who passed away (RIP)...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
RIP Ms Squires.

You did things most of us only aspire to and you tried selflessly to improve the lives of others.

Thank you.

they covered this on our local news tonight, i think donations were around the £500 mark first thing this morning, & it's just been on sky sports news that it's now reached £170k ! wow...

they covered this on our local news tonight, i think donations were around the £500 mark first thing this morning, & it's just been on sky sports news that it's now reached £170k ! wow...

And rightly so. What price for a life.

So young. Hopefully, her family can temper their grief with pride.

Am I alone in finding this rather ghoulish - that people are only being prompted to donate to Ms Squires's selected charity because she died while running the marathon?

I have no desire to depricate her lifetime achievements, but this is somehow redolent of Dianamania, where people started to act in empathy with someone they never knew just because she was no longer around.

While this outpouring is clearly good news for The Samaritans (and, let's not forget, for JustGiving's shareholders), I can't help wondering whether those donating even care which charity their money is going to?

I wasn't aware that this poor lady had passed away until I read this thread.

The first thing that sprung to mind was how uncomfortable the Smaritans may feel collecting all this cash on the back of the young lady passing away.

I'm sure they are absolutely delighted, but it comes with such a price attached to it.

So yes, I understand you're discomfort MOCAS, but I also feel uncomfortable that I actually feel uncomfortable (in an almost embarrased way) - if that makes sense.

What better way to remember her by? Lets hope the Samaritans choose to pigeon hole the money and use it all for one thing clearly marked in this unfortunate lady's memory.

Last edited:
They're nearly as unlucky as the Kennedys, that's for certain.

Her brother died in 2002 from what can best be described as "drug-related complications", just a few days after his girlfriend died in a car accident that he was also involved in.

Methinks the Grim Reaper is watching this family very carefully!

£316k just now...

when i posted last night, i started typing "hope this can give the family some small degree of comfort", then deleted it as it felt so wrong. it might help in a few years time, but i can't imagine it helping just now.

i can understand that it might seem a bit ghoulish that it's taken something like this to get such a massive response, but surely a lot of it's down to the coverage it's had?

Am I alone in finding this rather ghoulish - that people are only being prompted to donate to Ms Squires's selected charity because she died while running the marathon?
No you're not alone.

There are many, many people out there who have an attraction to grieving for people who they didn't know, which I find bizarre.

I can understand the point about 'why does it take this to happen for so many to donate' and those who feel a sense of ghoulishness.

However, in my case, I am not able to donate to every charity I'd like to, I felt this was a way to add to the legacy of a selfless individual who has lost their life as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom