Clamping: the other viewpiont

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
An interesting thread on the Talk Photography forum in the Out of Focus section, concerning the trouble the OP had in preventing people parking on private property. He eventually had to hire a clamping firm.

It's a good read, and rather thought provoking.

I'd like to give a fair opinion on the matter, but without seeing the location that the op on that forum is on about, it's hard to do.

He could be simply going for a bit of sympathy to counter any bad publicity he might get as a result of instructing a bunch of bandidos to rob people of their hard-earned.

I live in a small appartment block we have desinated parking zones as in flat 6 parks here etc! We have had problems when returning after being out, Have had many an argument with people parking in the residents parking zones. We live in a coastal resort and usually it is trippers. Nasty person that I am usually place a nail or two under the tyres , never seen the results but I am sure it must have had a desired result. One guy actually had a go at me when I asked him to move his car , he was just getting out of it as I arrived home. I am a very fit guy and weighing in at 100kg, he got one shoot at it , restrained him and my wife called the police, guess what he had a few drinks , not sure but police bagged him, so no doubt he was not driving for a year, oh his car was removed by the officers.
Lew

I've got every sympathy for him. There are people who spout out about how unfair it is, but landowners have very few ways to realistically control who parks where, and to some installing barriers etc. is simply not practical or economic.

Tickets don't work as we know from our own forum, they are pretty much unenforceable.

Clampers are unfortunately an evil necessity, while ever driver feel like taking the piss.

I'd like to give a fair opinion on the matter, but without seeing the location that the op on that forum is on about, it's hard to do.

He could be simply going for a bit of sympathy to counter any bad publicity he might get as a result of instructing a bunch of bandidos to rob people of their hard-earned.

If you accept that it's private property (and clearly signed as such), how would seeing the location help?

If you accept that it's private property (and clearly signed as such), how would seeing the location help?

Because I would think that if they could put barriers up instead, it would negate the problem altogether.

And that's why I'd like to see a photo of the area, to see how 'bad' it really is.

Why? It's their property, if drivers are not capeable of observing signs and take the piss, why should the landlowner/tenants be out of expense or inconvenienced.

If they can sort the unsavoury characters you sometimes get as part of the clamping industry, I see it as a very cost effective way of controlling people who abuse parking on private property.

Why? It's their property, if drivers are not capeable of observing signs and take the piss, why should the landlowner/tenants be out of expense or inconvenienced.

If they can sort the unsavoury characters you sometimes get as part of the clamping industry, I see it as a very cost effective way of controlling people who abuse parking on private property.

Before we all get carried away, I agree that something has to be done with regards stopping people parking on private land.

My view is that prevention is better than the cure ie, stopping them from getting on the land in the first place. This then stops all the aggro that can and will follow when you start clamping folk.

That is unless you're looking for a nice little earner...

Before we all get carried away, I agree that something has to be done with regards stopping people parking on private land.

My view is that prevention is better than the cure ie, stopping them from getting on the land in the first place. This then stops all the aggro that can and will follow when you start clamping folk.

That is unless you're looking for a nice little earner...

I have arranged to use clampers in the past. The signs were obvious, and there was not the oppertunity to secure the car park for various reasons.

Neither nor my client made a penny from the Clamping Fee's. It did inconvenience the vermin who stole the tenants parking spaces (that they were paying for) and did cost them some money.

Do I feel guily? - not at all!

Many of them had been told not to park their more than once, the sign were obvious and they were taking the piss.

I have arranged to use clampers in the past. The signs were obvious, and there was not the oppertunity to secure the car park for various reasons.

Neither nor my client made a penny from the Clamping Fee's. It did inconvenience the vermin who stole the tenants parking spaces (that they were paying for) and did cost them some money.

Do I feel guily? - not at all!

Many of them had been told not to park their more than once, the sign were obvious and they were taking the piss.

Fair enough.

But every case is different and this is my point, if you can't put a gate and barriers up then, to an extent, fair enough.

I think we all know someone that has quite innocently parked somewhere thinking that it'd be fine and they've ended up being clamped.

For the record, I've never been clamped; I'm suspicious of everywhere and everyone so I always double check it's safe.

Same here. Not a great deal of sympathy for the public from me. What is not on, is where people have stopped for 1or 2 minutes, or signage is poor to trap

Nasty person that I am usually place a nail or two under the tyres , never seen the results but I am sure it must have had a desired result.

Blow-out on the motorway on the way home? Collateral damage as they hit other cars when out of control?

I won't say what I think of your actions on a public forum.

Why doesnt the guy turn it into a paid car park and have a guy there taking money or can he not do that?

Blow-out on the motorway on the way home? Collateral damage as they hit other cars when out of control?

I won't say what I think of your actions on a public forum.

Whilst I don't condone the action of putting nails under the tyres, blow outs are mostly caused by the owner abusing their own tyres either through mounting kerbs, or hitting them whilst parking badly, or by driving badly over speed humps. Occasionally, a blow out is caused by hitting large debris.

Blowouts are usually caused by sidewall damage resulting in instant, complete tyre collapse, not tread punctures.

We have secured parking where I live, yet we still have problems with people using other people's spaces. This is controlled by having a permit in the windscreen.

So, a parking management firm was hired. The clampers arrived one day and removed a number of illegally parked cars, at a cost of £395 each - plus daily storage charge of £120 - plus VAT - to the car owner.

Unfortunately, if someone has stolen your parking space, you have nowhere else to park, unless you steal someone else's space too.

In this case, the clampers came along and BOTH cars got towed.

So as a result of all the complaints of people being unfairly towed like this, the contract with the clamping firm was cancelled, and we now have a ticketing scheme.

Which is useless.

There is now no way to remove someone who is illegally parked from the space they are in. Both cars get ticketed, everyone is a loser.

So what do you do?

get the clampers back in... I've tried the rest, only these work effectively as there is no repsect for others nowadays.

Fair enough.

But every case is different and this is my point, if you can't put a gate and barriers up then, to an extent, fair enough.

I think we all know someone that has quite innocently parked somewhere thinking that it'd be fine and they've ended up being clamped.

For the record, I've never been clamped; I'm suspicious of everywhere and everyone so I always double check it's safe.

Every case I imagine is very different, but I don't see why those tennants should have to pay anything to stop the thickos we have to put up with from parking where they like.

So I would agree to enforcement every time (unless you have to pay for it - my understanding is their income comes from fines but I maybe mistaken - in which case it would need some comparison?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom