Clarification on pollen filter location on W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firstime210

Hi guys. I have a 2000 W210 320cdi with manual aircon (dials not digital). I've searched the forums but I can't quite work out whether my pollen filter(s) will be behind the glove box, or in the passenger footwell, or both! It seems to me like it depends on whether you have the manual or auto aircon... like I say, I have the manual. Can anyone tell me definitely where my pollen filter(s) are located? (I don't want to be attempting the tricky glove box job if I don't need too!) Thanks!

Take off the panel underneath the glovebox, in the footwell, and you'll find it there. The filter behind the glovebox is a carbon type and only present in those cars which have the full climate control.

my 2001 s210 has the carbon filter in the footwell!

and i'm really struggling to get the glove box out...

it's below the glove box in the passenger footwell, not behind glove box. you really have to poke your head in the footwell and look up! if i remember correctly there are a few screws that holds a plastic panel, remove this and it will become apparent. Note , the filter is about 3inches thick and slides in and out vertically. this being a manual HVAC not auto!

Last edited:

it's below the glove box in the passenger footwell, not behind glove box. you really have to poke your head in the footwell and look up! if i remember correctly there are a few screws that holds a plastic panel, remove this and it will become apparent. Note , the filter is about 3inches thick and slides in and out vertically. this being a manual HVAC .

sorry i was too quick at the keyboard- what i meant to say was- i opened the footwell and found a carbon filter...
... i have now managed to get the glovebox out (held in place apart from the 6 screws- also by 2 lugs that i have now shaven off) but there are no filters there.

so now i'm wondering if i do still have the pollen filters in the footwell apart from the carbon one?

cheers

as gordon's post, aside from the one in the footwell a carbon filter is also (behind the glove box) fitted if you have full "Automatic climate control, digital type! Otherwise if yours is the manual knob control type then it will not be fitted with carbon filters

So taking into account the fact that I discovered the carbon filter in the footwell under the glove box, and upon taking out the glove box, found no further filters there...
where might I find the pollen filter? Or does it not have a pollen filter?
My car is a 2001 S210 E320...
Thanks in advance.

If (like me) you have the full auto climate control, then there are cabin filters behind the glove box, and carbon filters accessed from the footwell.

I think you will not have a carbon filter without the full auto system. On the auto system you can turn carbon on and off...how can you do that on the manual system?

Last edited:
If (like me) you have the full auto climate control, then there are cabin filters behind the glove box, and carbon filters accessed from the footwell.

I think you will not have a carbon filter without the full auto system. On the auto system you can turn carbon on and off...how can you do that on the manual system?

spot on

Thanks for the replies...
Here is a pic; the White filters are what MB gave me today...
The black single filter is what came out from the footwell... clearly very different shapes etc. I thought MB had got it wrong till I saw some posts about filters behind the glove box. That's why I assumed the one I took out must be a charcoal filter as it's so black, and I've spent hours hunting round for some more like the White ones I've bought.
I'm confused now!

Attachments

• image-989210273.jpg
    image-989210273.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 104
My 2000 S210 auto aircon (wheels) has a large combination filter that sits at 45deg to the car. Nothing behind teh gbox.

Thanks for the replies...
Here is a pic; the White filters are what MB gave me today...
The black single filter is what came out from the footwell... clearly very different shapes etc. I thought MB had got it wrong till I saw some posts about filters behind the glove box. That's why I assumed the one I took out must be a charcoal filter as it's so black, and I've spent hours hunting round for some more like the White ones I've bought.
I'm confused now!

The black one is what you want. You don't have the white one. The black one is not a carbon filter, it's a dirty cabin filter.:D

Last edited:
My 2000 S210 auto aircon (wheels) has a large combination filter that sits at 45deg to the car. Nothing behind teh gbox.

Ok, yes you have auto aircon...as opposed to auto climate control.

renault12ts said:
The black one is what you want. You don't have the white one. The black one is not a carbon filter, it's a dirty cabin filter.:D

Ha ha ha!

Thanks mate!

So MB have given me the wrong filters then...
will go toss em back at them tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom