Clarification re 211 rear Airmatic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi,

I am getting an intermittent Airmatic fault. Haven't had it on a fault code reader so no idea if it's minor or serious.

What I am trying to understand is what i might have to change if it proves to be serious. If I understand it correctly the front struts incorporate both the spring and the damper.

At the rear you seem to get an air spring unit - one of these?

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_MERCEDES-BENZ_yid18_pid200.html

But what about the damper at the rear - is it a sperate part?

Can't find it anywhere on any of the parts sites I've been searching.

Ta.

That is indeed the rear damper , its unlikely that this would fail and give you any messages . If the message is appearing randomly and the car is not sagging on any corners when parked that its most likely a failing pump . The only way to know for cretin is to have codes read and pneumatic test performed

That is indeed the rear damper , its unlikely that this would fail and give you any messages . If the message is appearing randomly and the car is not sagging on any corners when parked that its most likely a failing pump . The only way to know for cretin is to have codes read and pneumatic test performed

Thanks Shorty.

It was originally random - once every few months or so. Then it started happening on longer trips - ie once I'd been up to speed on the motorway for 30 mins or so. Then it started happening when I'd been pottering round town. Recently it's been pretty much permanently.

Will get it on a reader.

Hopefully it will be an easy fix , I had two pumps fail on my 211 in 3 years , the first pump was due to age , the second pump ingested some water and died soon after .

Hopefully it will be an easy fix , I had two pumps fail on my 211 in 3 years , the first pump was due to age , the second pump ingested some water and died soon after .

Hope so. It sits correctly after standing for a long time, switches between modes fine, rides well. So no other symptons.

We'll see.

Ta

If it is the pump, you can refurb it yourself! The kit is a full £25 and is an easy DIY job.

eBay item number 151136260579

Sounds like you have low pressure between compressor and valve block if you are getting a warning but no sagging.

Update; had it in down at BSG this morning.

The STAR code initially indicated a leak.

Then Stuart ran the full pump test. The pump kicked in very noisily - bearings shot - and it failed to get anywhere near full compression.

Hopefully, if there actually is a leak, it's on the compressor block where the pump attaches - Stuart reckons that failing pumps often run very hot and blow the seal.

On Tuesday I'll take in in for a a new pump and Stuart will also check around the various pipes, valves and tanks for any leaks.

Fingers crossed it's just the pump/pump seal.

Sounds like you might need a new compressor and maybe a valve block.

I just had some airmatic problems. In my case the compressor/pump was fine, but the valve block was leaking, so needed replacing.

Sounds like you might need a new compressor and maybe a valve block.

I just had some airmatic problems. In my case the compressor/pump was fine, but the valve block was leaking, so needed replacing.

Yeah, hoping that's the case :)

Anyway, looking on the bright side...soon all your airmatic woes will be behind you and you can get back to enjoying driving your lovely car :)

Anyway, looking on the bright side...soon all your airmatic woes will be behind you and you can get back to enjoying driving your lovely car :)

Exactly. Today I finally replaced the jud-ud-ud-ud-ud-ering rear wiper which, to be honest, has been annoying me for at least a year.

And I bought a new battery to avoid getting caught out in the next cold snap. Will get the airmatic sorted next week and on top of this I had a full four wheel alignment done just before Christmas. Again, long overdue.

Off to Dorset shortly - can't wait. Will have the perfect (middle aged) E Class.

Epilogue.

Pump changed yesterday, leak sorted (it was where the pump mounted).

Relief :)

Good news! Was the leak in the valve block? That's the gizmo with 4 or 5 air tubes coming out of it, that sits on top of the compressor.

Good news! Was the leak in the valve block? That's the gizmo with 4 or 5 air tubes coming out of it, that sits on top of the compressor.

Yes I think so.

Epilogue epilogue. Last Wednesday, the day after sorting the airmatic, I had go to Marlow. In the dark on the way home I hit a massive pothole at 50mph+. Obviously knocked the alignment out again as it's lost it's directional stability again. Groan. It was really annoying all the way to Dorset and back, especially as it was so good on my Cornwall trip over the new year.

Still, the expensive stuff is done, the dashboard graphic says "No Malfunction", the battery is sorted and the rear wiper is behaving itself. I just need to stump up another £65 for alignment (and find the time to get it done, of course).

Worse things happen at sea and so on.

Good result!

Got there in the end without having to replace any struts.

Will get the alignment done soon as it'll be perfect once I do.

120k miles and it scrubs up well and is still great to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom