Clarkson buys SLK55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A very enjoyable read but the best bit is right at the end and I quote "Verdict Almost perfect, just don’t try buying one" made me laugh :D

I saw the SLK55 on the repeat of TG last night, I must admit, it did seem bonkers, way better than the Boxster S it was up against.

As an aside, anyone know how long AMG have been putting the engine type as a decal on the instrument binacle? I noticed that the SLK was labelled "AMG V8" and Maff's new CL65 (*sigh*) has "V12 Biturbo" on the dash...

Laz.
--

Lazarus said:
I saw the SLK55 on the repeat of TG last night, I must admit, it did seem bonkers, way better than the Boxster S it was up against.

As an aside, anyone know how long AMG have been putting the engine type as a decal on the instrument binacle? I noticed that the SLK was labelled "AMG V8" and Maff's new CL65 (*sigh*) has "V12 Biturbo" on the dash...

Laz.
--

They've been doing this since the R230 SL55 was introduced. Since then every new car, or facelift car has the new AMG speedo with the engine type shown too.

Love Clarkson's articles. Nice to wlecome him back into the MB fold isn't it? :D

JC said:
Eventually, though, I’d selected all my options, including a roof that can be opened remotely on the key — how cool is that?
My g/f's Vauxhall Astra can do that ... and it can close it as well ... and it was standard equipment ... might not be as fast though ;)

Flyer said:
Love Clarkson's articles. Nice to wlecome him back into the MB fold isn't it? :D
JC said:
Eventually, though, I’d selected all my options, including a roof that can be opened remotely on the key — how cool is that?
My g/f's Vauxhall Astra can do that ... and it can close it as well ... and it was standard equipment ... might not be as fast though ;)
There has been a module available on the aftermarket to enable remote roof for the 170 SLK for a long time, possibly MB omitted it for safety reasons.

If you read the article, he hasn't actually bought his SLK yet ...

Also, as a Boxster S (Mk1) owner, I have to say the comparison of a 3.4 litre 6-cylinder car with a 5.5 litre V8 is hardly fair! There would be something seriously wrong oif the SLK didn't trounce the Boxster.

Yes this was th point when itwas shown orignally - they should have put it up against the 350.

So wot's JC got now then? Sold his SL55, got Ford GT + going to get SLK now?

Then there was that time on TG when he said if-you-don't-want-to-blah-blah-blah, "buy an SL65" ó.O.

OT: who else is off work with a cold today? ;)

wallingd said:
Yes this was th point when itwas shown orignally - they should have put it up against the 350.

Probably, but of course the 350 is £5,000 cheaper than a Boxster S.

I was off work with 'the cold' end of last week, back today :(

wallingd said:

So wot's JC got now then? Sold his SL55, got Ford GT + going to get SLK now?

Then there was that time on TG when he said if-you-don't-want-to-blah-blah-blah, "buy an SL65" ó.O.

I'm very pleased that Clarkson has got rid of the GT40 and has aspired to the loftier heights of AMG ownership once more.

If Ford cant get the GT40 right then what hope for any of their other cars.

Clarkson remarked on yesterdays TG that the SLK interior still felt cheap; "i didnt know Matalan made sun-visors".......

I seem to remember from the original programme that overall they actually preferred the Boxster?

BTB 500 said:
I seem to remember from the original programme that overall they actually preferred the Boxster?
I seem to recall the opposite! :)

Anyone saved this on a PVR or something? :)

Shude said:
I seem to recall the opposite! :)

Anyone saved this on a PVR or something? :)

I agree with Shude. I think the comments were something like;

'If you want a really good car get the Porsche. If you want an amazing car, get the Mercedes'

What says it all is that Clarkson had the choice to put his own money into either and chose the Mercedes because as he says 'Its a better car'

It's more than likely that my memory is at fault re. Boxster vs SLK!

Was it "5th Gear" that compared an SLK55 and an SL55 round the same track? The SL was a fair bit quicker (but I guess for nearly double the money you'd expect it to be!).

Maff said:
Anyone know what episode / series the CL65 review was on when JC tested it ?
I think it was the July 11th 2004 episode. Not sure what series/ep nbr that would make it, but there are a couple on mininova that seem to match the date.

Vickipoo did the SLK v SL on 28 March + I remember us all commenting on her squeals as the roll-bar popped up ;).

JC + 65 was when they were doing that tug-of-war iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom