Clarkson on Top Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Motard

Car
92 250 TD
Did anyone watch him last night? Made it very clear he is not happy with his Merc. The Ford GT would be very acceptable in my garage.

Bob

Originally posted by Motard
The Ford GT would be very acceptable in my garage.

So would his SL55 in mine! That wasn't a good advert for Mercedes at all, he's obviously bitter!

Didn't he say his car has been in the garage for 6 months?

Why?

Gav.

BTW. I like the bit about doubling the key fob range ;)

Originally posted by mayoga
Didn't he say his car has been in the garage for 6 months?
IIRC it had a terminally ill gearbox, he mentioned it in his Sunday Times column a while ago.

EDIT: here's the link http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3801-840477,00.html
Never have I needed a fast car more. So of course the Mercedes broke down. The gearbox has decided it wants to be a ball gown or a potato, anything but a bucket of cogs, and naturally the spare parts have to come from Germany. I mean, it’d be far too much to expect Mercedes in Britain to clutter the place up with replacement bits and pieces. It might look ugly in the profit and loss accounts.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ron
Anyone explain to me the 'keyfob thing'
Holding it against your head rather than pointing it at your car double's its effective range :eek:

Originally posted by Ron
Anyone explain to me the 'keyfob thing'

The latest key-fobs are RF aren't they? So maybe by connecting the xmitter bit of the fob to your body makes you act as an antenna thus giving a better range.

I you have a portable wireless or telly and it's getting a bad reception you can improve it a bit by touching the aerial - i.e. making the antenna bigger.

Of course, that could be a load of tripe. It's my guess anyway. :)

Judging by the last article that Clarkson wrote in the ST it's still in the garage because he's waiting for them to bring him a new tyre. Most people go to QuikFit when they get a puncture. Clarkson phones up Mercedes on a Sunday and then whinges when they won't turn out to change it.

I watch Clarkson for a laugh. Don't make the mistake of taking him seriously. Apparently his Ferrari F355 was "the most reliable car i ever had". HAHAHAHAHAHA! Only 'cause he only drove it 5000 miles.

Ahh!!

But did anyone notice he actually gave praise to the E-class over the 5 series and he reckoned the 320 CDi was better in performance terms and overall than the 320 petrol!

I knew he wasn't really stupid, but he makes a good job of trying to be.

Funnily enough he changed his wife's car for a diesel Toyota Land Cruiser from a ...Err Diesel Land Cruiser!

Originally posted by smartbrabus
Holding it against your head rather than pointing it at your car double's its effective range :eek:

Holding the fob for my previous car up to my chin when trying to activate it certainly increased the range . . . don't know if I fancy being a radio transmitter too often though ! :eek:

in defence of clarkson his sl55 amg does not have a spare so you have to call merc, (plus tthe sidewall was damaged so it was knackered, merc state to call them as per mobilo life)

but i suspect what really pissed him off was the fact that the guy dropped it off the jack!!!

we share the same local mobilo life guy (ppor sod!!!)

kenny

Did he compare the E320CDI vs 530dSe or was it a general comparison?

How would these compare they have the same torque but the 530d is faster 0-60. Anyone test driven both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom