Clarkson slags off owners clubs!

Love or Hate Jeremy Clarkson

• Love him (umm are you sure?)

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • Hate him

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Don't care either way (not worth the effort)

Votes: 31 37.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But TG isn't designed to be a 'serious' motoring show any more ......

Old ladies (their mums) racing hatchbacks - hilarious ....

The 'buy an old sh**ter for a £100 and race it to Scotland' segment - great ....

The public transport vs Clarkson in a supercar - legendary .......

Ok, the majority of what they show are 'poster cars' but , the show long ago ceased to have any semblance of serious everyday car comparison , i think they have realised that shows such as that , have a limited market and have gone for the mass-appeal , very successfully IMO .....

You wouldn't watch Top Gear if you were weighing up the pros and cons between a Mondeo and a Vectra with the view to buy ....

Hell, even my wife likes to watch Top Gear !

EDIT :- Beat me to the post Mark !

I always thought Clarkeson suffered a little from Narcissistic Personality Disorder

The disorder is defined by the DSM as characterised by an all-pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), the need for excessive admiration or adulation, and a distinct lack of empathy, all of which are present in a variety of contexts.

phoenix_nights said:
I always thought Clarkeson suffered a little from Narcissistic Personality Disorder

The disorder is defined by the DSM as characterised by an all-pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), the need for excessive admiration or adulation, and a distinct lack of empathy, all of which are present in a variety of contexts.

Mmmmmmm .... or realised that by playing the attention seeking arrogant bigot in the world that has become so PC these days, he was going to make a lot of money ........ ;)

Good luck to him !

Steve_Perry said:
Am I the only one who misses Driven that used to be on Ch4? That seemed to be a show that had the right mix of normal car reviews with other car based material. Really enjoyed it when it was on.

Yes I enjoyed this. Got many a bit on tape from 1998+. In fact it was Quentin's Matiz test in Nov 1999 that started the ball rolling for my mum's final choice in 2k :).

I would be curious to know how many of the "dont care" voters would have voted "hate" if the vote only had two options.
We just need to look at the likes of Howard Stern, Chris Moyes etc to see how this kind of approach leads to fame and fortune

phoenix_nights said:

Splendid link. So I think it is fair to say that JC is a "special" person:

"A mnemonic that can be used to remember the criteria for narcissistic personality disorder is SPECIAL:

S - Special, belief they are
P - Preoccupied with fantasies (of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love)
E - Entitlement feelings
C - Conceited (self-importance)
I - Interpersonal exploitation
A - Arrogant
L - Lacking empathy "

Come to think of it, I work with a few people like that!

I love TG as comedy, and you need an arogant so-and-so to anchor a programme like that. It is no longer a motoring magazine on TV. Shame they can try and combine the two somehow.

I couldn't believe it last night when they actually drove their amphibian cars down the road, and with James swerving to avoid hitting his mast on trees. It was priceless.

Top Gear is an excellent and highly entertaining television programme, and I think Clarkson is great.

I cannot stand Chris Moyles at all, so I make it a point not to listen to him, that way I don't get bothered/annoyed by his incessant drivel.

Maybe those who hate Clarkson should avoid Top Gear? :confused:

I'm In The Wrong Demographic!

I guess I'm not in the "demographic" that Top Gear is now aimed at. Probably too old :eek: I just feel it might end up losing its way, whatever that is, and end up as a show without a reason to exist. :crazy: Which would be a pity. :(

Jeremy has the personality to irrate some people and I honestly wasn't bothered either way, but knowing people that love him for his bluntness, and others that loathe him for his decendance into saying things to provoke responses I thought I'd see.

I am however able to seperate Top Gear from JC and whilst I still enjoy it, its more occasionally than all the time. I do like my car shows and enjoyed Driven, fifth gear and more recently the Used car roadshow.

The one thing I think is missing is them challenging the manufacturers and government more on our behalf.
Why is petrol taxed so much? why do we have our current speed limits? Why aren't warranties extended to longer than 3 years except in individual cases?

:D

Well at least he didn't slag off the Mercedes member clubs!

sparkyspost said:
The one thing I think is missing is them challenging the manufacturers and government more on our behalf.
Why is petrol taxed so much? why do we have our current speed limits? Why aren't warranties extended to longer than 3 years except in individual cases?

Very good point.:D

sparkyspost said:
...The one thing I think is missing is them challenging the manufacturers and government more on our behalf.
Why is petrol taxed so much? why do we have our current speed limits? Why aren't warranties extended to longer than 3 years except in individual cases? ...
JC made a scathing attack on the variable speed limits on the M25 last night. Trouble is he's so tongue in cheek these days, I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not. His observation went along the lines of:

You're driving on the M25 and see a dot matrix sign that says "Congestion ahead slow down" the variable speed limit then kicks down from 70mph to 50mph. You travel further down the road and magically there is no congestion but hey presto the powers that be have nabbed more people speeding over 50 than they would have if the limit was 70.

What do we reckon? fact or fiction?

S.

Last edited:
Great programme. Some might remember people like Raymond Baxter and boring old serious motoring programmes, just like they still have on German TV.
My wife (German) would love the program to be shown on German TV and see the extremely serious eco Green movement go apoplectic.

BonzoDog said:
... Some might remember people like Raymond Baxter and boring old serious motoring programmes ...
William Woolard in my day. :) Raymond Baxter always reminds me of Tomorrow's World and RAF Airshows.

S.

he has a very good point about owners clubs :)

getting together for a drink/chat/meal etc in a pub is one thing but standing in a windswept car park on an abandoned industrial estate one cold january night looking at trivial engine mods by torchlight whilst nodding appreciatively soon loses it's appeal.

As soon as an ownrs club gets itself a commitee then it's one step away from everyones dread - the golf club

I also think Top Gear is great entertainment but I doubt that it would influence my choice if I were buying a new car

Andy

andy_k said:
I also think Top Gear is great entertainment but I doubt that it would influence my choice if I were buying a new car

If it did, you'd never buy a MB!

Too much like hard work??

Steve_Perry said:
JC made a scathing attack on the variable speed limits on the M25 last night. Trouble is he's so tongue in cheek these days, I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not. His observation went along the lines of:
You're driving on the M25 and see a dot matrix sign that says "Congestion ahead slow down" the variable speed limit then kicks down from 70mph to 50mph. You travel further down the road and magically there is no congestion but hey presto the powers that be have nabbed more people speeding over 50 than they would have if the limit was 70.
What do we reckon? fact or fiction.
S.

A very good illustration of what I mean. The entire item lasted 100 seconds, and if you subtract James May's admittedly funny annecdote about drying his pants in a friends microwave which lasted 40 seconds, the programme devoted ONE minute to what was a news item of genuine interest to many users of the M25. Did they follow it up with a bit of investigative journalism ( I think "Journalist" is how they would describe themselves ) and put the theory to the test or interview the authority responsible for the operation of the signs/ speed cameras. Nope it would appear that would be just be too difficult or controversial! Wouldnt want the whole program devoted to that item but 1 minute soundbite????

Last edited:
grober said:
A very good illustration of what I mean. The entire item lasted 100 seconds, and if you subtract James May's admittedly funny annecdote about drying his pants in a friends microwave which lasted 40 seconds, the programme devoted ONE minute to what was a news item of genuine interest to many users of the M25. Did they follow it up with a bit of investigative journalism ( I think "Journalist" is how they would describe themselves ) and put the theory to the test or interview the authority responsible for the operation of the signs/ speed cameras. Nope it would appear that would be just be too difficult or controversial! Wouldnt want the whole program devoted to that item but 1 minute soundbite????
I'm sorry....I just fell asleep.....

:devil: ;) ;)
sorry could not stop myself

Howard said:
Mmmmmmm .... or realised that by playing the attention seeking arrogant bigot in the world that has become so PC these days, he was going to make a lot of money ........ ;)

Good luck to him !

Don't know. I'll take PC anyday to a Bigot.

Sorry , the worlds gone PC mad these days, i'll take the hilarious bigot everytime .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom