Clarkson slags off owners clubs!

Love or Hate Jeremy Clarkson

• Love him (umm are you sure?)

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • Hate him

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Don't care either way (not worth the effort)

Votes: 31 37.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparkyspost

Car
03 CLK AG Auto
So Jeremy 'the enemy of style' Clarkson has a dislike of Car owners clubs in a write up on the BMW ME CS???

See: http://www.driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2177700,00.html

So love :eek: / hate :mad: / don't care (he's not worth it) :cool:

Apologies if the link or the poll has happened before...Did a quick search but didn't find anything.

lets be clear - dont forget hes just a poxy journalist so he writes to get noticed - nothing more . . .

Boring!!

Clarkson and Co are rapidly losing the plot. If you saw last nights Top Gear it degenerated into farce. Anyone tuning into the latter part of the programme might have mistaken it for the Benny Hill Show or Some mothers do hav' em. "OOOOH Betty the car's sinking". A little speeded up action would have completed the illusion and made viewing it a little less tedious. An example of a programme with a enormous budget and little imagination. Its grown men with "loads a money" behaving as adolescents and the joke is wearing a bit thin.

Last edited:
sparkyspost said:
So Jeremy 'the enemy of style' Clarkson has a dislike of Car owners clubs in a write up on the BMW ME CS???

See: http://www.driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2177700,00.html

So love :eek: / hate :mad: / don't care (he's not worth it) :cool:

Apologies if the link or the poll has happened before...Did a quick search but didn't find anything.

He's just miffed that a boy on a broomstick not only makes more money than he does but gets more acceleration. Or perhaps he didnt write the story and wishes he had.

Perhapse I am a;lone in this but I cant wait for Sunday nights.
Ok so its not the most "hands on" "road test" led show but if you are going to go and buy a car then I would think you would get magazines and do the road tests yourself.
Top gear IMO has turned into an entertainment program that appeals to the general public who like cars
The challenges of late have had me in floads of tears and long my they continue...as for JC's column, as has been said, its his job to say things that prevoke a responce.

lotusmark2 said:
Perhapse I am a;lone in this but I cant wait for Sunday nights.
Top gear IMO has turned into an entertainment program that appeals to the general public who like cars

I'm with you. I get really excited about Sunday nights. It's motoring based comedy, rather than a car show.

lotusmark2 said:
Perhapse I am a;lone in this but I cant wait for Sunday nights ...
You're not alone Mark, I was crying at last night's episode as I found it so funny. JC trying to put the flames out on his HILUX for me was even funnier than the actual test of taking to the water and sinking. :D

grober said:
Clarkson and Co are rapidly losing the plot... ... Its grown men with "loads a money" behaving as adolescents and the joke is wearing a bit thin.

I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

S.

Yes JC is arrogant, opinionated etc, but for me his one redeeming feature is that he doesn't take himself or his opinions seriously. As others have said, I think he's evolving from being a TV car journalist into a TV comedian.

S.

It is it's hilarious. Love it. JC is fantastic.

Clarkson plays for laughs. He plays up to his reputation as an arrogant bigot.

He doesn't expect to be taken seriously, and he deliberately makes inflammatory comments to wind people up.

I'm afraid I think there will always be people who take him seriously, and actually consider what he says to be fact, and there's little hope for them. Let him have his fun, but remember that you're allowed your own opinions too.

PJ

Steve_Perry said:
JC trying to put the flames out

Using the wrong type of extinguisher? Also it looked like a CO2 - but he was holding the cone! Unless it was just standrd foam. Water would have done it then I guess.

My guess is that the metal was hot from the torch and the paint was igniting from the heat. He put the flames out but didn't cool the metal so the paint just re-ignited again... and again.... and again.

Had me in stitches - I look forward to Sunday evenings too. I agree that TopGear is definately entertainment rather than serious journalism. Journalism would be reviewing Focuses and Astras - middle of the road cars for everyday folk. TopGear doesn't even try to do that; they entertain with hyper-cars and stupid cars and only occassionally do they have a quick look at something more normal.

The funny thing is that Sky have tried to follow suit with Vroom Vroom but they've gone too far with the 'laddish entertainment' and it doesn't work.

For proper motoring journalism, watch 5th Gear or go out and buy What Car.

Jon

I’d rather swap saliva with someone from the Ferrari Owners’ Club than go within 50,000 miles of someone who turns up to Aston Martin events. Because there are no cheap Astons in the classifieds — well, none that will actually get you to an owners’ club meeting, or even to the end of your road — the members are a lot more well-to-do than their oppos with Ferraris. There are few regional accents, and lots of green ink.

I know he's trying to be a comedian or something but this sounds like he's stuck up his own backside.
I don't find him funny, he just sounds like a chav with too much money.

Karl

JonLittlechild said:
My guess is that the metal was hot from the torch and the paint was igniting from the heat. He put the flames out but didn't cool the metal so the paint just re-ignited again... and again.... and again.

Had me in stitches - I look forward to Sunday evenings too. I agree that TopGear is definately entertainment rather than serious journalism. Journalism would be reviewing Focuses and Astras - middle of the road cars for everyday folk. TopGear doesn't even try to do that; they entertain with hyper-cars and stupid cars and only occassionally do they have a quick look at something more normal.

The funny thing is that Sky have tried to follow suit with Vroom Vroom but they've gone too far with the 'laddish entertainment' and it doesn't work.

For proper motoring journalism, watch 5th Gear or go out and buy What Car.

Jon
I had the misfortune to catch last week's VroomVroom and you can tell they are trying to cash in on the Top Gear genre but they so woefully miss the mark, that truly is cringe worthy TV. They were testing a new model ML and it failed because you couldn't hear the stereo from xx hundred yards away. :confused: I can see they're trying to be funny but it just never seems to work.

5th Gear imho has gone down hill since they moved to the 1hr format and tried to pretend they were all pals round a table for impromptu discussions. I still watch but I don't find it entertaining as I once did.

Am I the only one who misses Driven that used to be on Ch4? That seemed to be a show that had the right mix of normal car reviews with other car based material. Really enjoyed it when it was on.

For those who still get Men&Motors the Used Car Roadshow is an entertaining watch. Obviously nothing new is reviewed but they are good when it comes to discussing used metal.

S.

Last edited:
Steve_Perry said:
They were testing a new model ML and it failed because you couldn't hear the stereo from xx hundred yards away.

S.
I tuned in and they were setting this feature up.....turned off at once and vowed never to watch again as I dont own a nova with flip paint and a disco ball hanging from the rear view mirror

Steve_Perry said:
I had the misfortune to catch last week's VroomVroom and you can tell they are trying to cash in on the Top Gear genre but they so woefully miss the mark, that truly is cringe worthy TV. They were testing a new model ML and it failed because you couldn't hear the stereo from xx hundred yards away. :confused: I can see they're trying to be funny but it just never seems to work.

nothing worse than a crappy stereo :D

JC rules ..... he cracks me up, as others have said, he is making the transition from motoring journalist to comedian and IMO doing it quite well !!

Anyone remember when he used to write for 'Performance Car' in the late 80's and early 90's , those columns were legend ....

If you want a report on a new car, buy a magazine or have a test drive , but for motoring based entertainment , you just can't beat Top Gear .....

Adolescent

Sorry guys but the overall impression I'm left with is "Adolescent":rolleyes:
The road tests, sorry "airfield tests" of cars destined only to be "poster cars" on most boys bedroom walls and the distinct lack of female presence or input,--- "A real woman in the flesh, what's that about ? " ;) just reinforces the perception. With the programmes budget they could have run a small team in one of the many racing or rallying series both here and abroad. Or would that have involved a bit too much commitment or danger for our "boys"? :eek: Might also involve using a spanner or a welding torch or even changing a wheel!! :confused: What about the Paris /Dakar or the USA Gumball or the Classic Malts or Carrosserie Blanc?:devil:

I think the main issue seems to be what you expect from TG.
In years gone by it was a serious car review/motoring program, then JC left it and the ratings went through the floor.
The new TG is just ENTERTAINMENT thats it, top and bottom. Whats wrong with seeing these poster cars being given hell around the airfield...given half a chance I'm sure 90% of the people on this forum would love to do the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom