Clarkson's Farm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Check out the interviews with JC and his 'team' on Farmers weekly YouTube. little snippets of 'background' + 'best of ' moments.

Don't watch with children though !

Mine (and the wife for that matter) thought JC with all his millions would have saved the 3 defective sheep from the chop.

The Guardian reviewer hated it - with a delightful display of anti-Clarkson prejudice.

So sadly that meant I had to take a look.

It's rather too contrived - just like .... TG and TGT.

But despite that it's actually rather more informative and even poignant than a prejudiced Guardian reviewer would ever realise.

I think they'll probably try for a second series .... and I suspect that they will struggle for content.

I read that review also and it was what prompted me to watch. Disproportionate amount of hate for anything Clarkson clearly.

Only watched 3 so far but enjoying it.

I’m not particularly a fan of JC but me and the wife thought it was brilliant 👍 looking forward to series 2.

All that was wrong with them was dodgy nipples so unable to suckle lambs.
Not quite.

They had Mastitis which although treatable can also be passed on to the rest of the mothers so at a minimum you would need to separate the infected sheep.

That separation would cause distress as sheep naturally want to stay in a flock for protection and 3 doesn't constitute a flock. The 3 on their own would need a lot of managing to ensure they were quarantined from the others and that along with the cost of treatment with a good chance of the infected Sheep having a damaged Udder even if treatment was successful made it a simple economic choice to have them taken for slaughter.

I watched the whole series with Mrs T. Most enjoyable. I was worried it might turn into an OTT Clarkson fest, which would have devalued the series, but am pleased to say I thought he stayed *just* the right side of the line in a way that the latter Top Gears did not. There were a couple of OTT interludes (notably Kaleb's trip to London), but that aside I thought it was very good. Looking forward to series 2.

The one thing about it, which grates a teeny bit, is that it is very clear that JC has so much cash he can just throw money at any problem. Need a sheep pen? No problem, I'll build one. Need some equipment? No problem, I'll just go and buy it. Need some hired help? No problem, I'll just employ who I need. I do wonder if "true" farmers find that side of it a little irritating. It would have been better - I think - if he had been a little bit less flash with the cash to reflect better the real financial nightmare of running a farm.

But at the end of the day it's entertainment, and very good it was too.

I watched the whole series with Mrs T. Most enjoyable. I was worried it might turn into an OTT Clarkson fest, which would have devalued the series, but am pleased to say I thought he stayed *just* the right side of the line in a way that the latter Top Gears did not. There were a couple of OTT interludes (notably Kaleb's trip to London), but that aside I thought it was very good. Looking forward to series 2.

The one thing about it, which grates a teeny bit, is that it is very clear that JC has so much cash he can just throw money at any problem. Need a sheep pen? No problem, I'll build one. Need some equipment? No problem, I'll just go and buy it. Need some hired help? No problem, I'll just employ who I need. I do wonder if "true" farmers find that side of it a little irritating. It would have been better - I think - if he had been a little bit less flash with the cash to reflect better the real financial nightmare of running a farm.

But at the end of the day it's entertainment, and very good it was too.
To be fair he did buy a lot of second-hand farm equipment and once he had decided to run the farm he had to make investments. I am sure the Amazon fees helped.

I am surprised he did not seem to buy any of it off the chap who had farmed the land previously unless it was worn out or a better price could be got for it at auction?

Not quite.

They had Mastitis which although treatable can also be passed on to the rest of the mothers so at a minimum you would need to separate the infected sheep.

That separation would cause distress as sheep naturally want to stay in a flock for protection and 3 doesn't constitute a flock. The 3 on their own would need a lot of managing to ensure they were quarantined from the others and that along with the cost of treatment with a good chance of the infected Sheep having a damaged Udder even if treatment was successful made it a simple economic choice to have them taken for slaughter.

Like I said don't watch with children, try explaining the above to a child :)

Like I said don't watch with children, try explaining the above to a child :)
It is all relative I suppose?

We have farming friends and their children have been brought up in that environment and see animals go to slaughter as a way of life.

Not quite.

Sounds a bit more like it. Thanks.

It is all relative I suppose?

We have farming friends and their children have been brought up in that environment and see animals go to slaughter as a way of life.

Yep. Funny things children :)

Daughter 2, wants to be the Prime Minister so she can bring in Corporal Punishment for animal abusers. She won't eat Lamb, Beef or pork as they are cute but eating chicken is fine as they are ugly ! Go figure

I've seen all the episodes, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed every single episode, I won't write anything about the show as there are people on here who clearly haven't finished watching.

Very funny, entertaining and educational.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom