Clarkson's Farm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A complete surprise this series its really good IMO.

I also suggest watching 'Harrys Farm' (from Harry Metcalf, aka Harrys Garage) on YouTube. - not funny, but a good insite to farming :thumb:

Not quite.

They had Mastitis which although treatable can also be passed on to the rest of the mothers so at a minimum you would need to separate the infected sheep.

That separation would cause distress as sheep naturally want to stay in a flock for protection and 3 doesn't constitute a flock. The 3 on their own would need a lot of managing to ensure they were quarantined from the others and that along with the cost of treatment with a good chance of the infected Sheep having a damaged Udder even if treatment was successful made it a simple economic choice to have them taken for slaughter.

Oops careful you don’t offend our WOKE generation with this common-sense.

I recall being on my uncle's farm (about 9yo) and watching the cook chop the heads off two ducks, then plucking and gutting them. I never put 2&2 together until the ducks arrived on the dinner table that evening.

I have to confess that I didn’t eat duck for about 30 years.........

I also suggest watching 'Harrys Farm' (from Harry Metcalf, aka Harrys Garage) on YouTube. - not funny, but a good insite to farming :thumb:
Yep he is quite interesting (farming & cars) might be where Clarkson got the idea to do a series about farming. I enjoyed that Ferrrari rebuild he did.

Oops careful you don’t offend our WOKE generation with this common-sense.

I recall being on my uncle's farm (about 9yo) and watching the cook chop the heads off two ducks, then plucking and gutting them. I never put 2&2 together until the ducks arrived on the dinner table that evening.

I have to confess that I didn’t eat duck for about 30 years.........
I think all kids should go through this - compulsory tuition for meat eaters ;)

My kids have watched me kill and then prepare birds for dinner. I describe it as the most 'honest' way to be a meat eater. So few people have any idea about food production.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Clarkson is actually a very talented journalist who has an ability to communicate serious subjects in an entertaining and accessible way when he wants to. His films / programs on WWII - such as the Commando raid on the German occupied dry dock at St. Nazaire and the PQ17 Arctic Convoy Disaster - were excellent examples of him doing that.

I did, however, make the mistake of watching the latest Grand Tour episode (Loch Down) this week which was pretty flat :(

Glad you enjoyed it.

Clarkson is actually a very talented journalist who has an ability to communicate serious subjects in an entertaining and accessible way when he wants to. His films / programs on WWII - such as the Commando raid on the German occupied dry dock at St. Nazaire and the PQ17 Arctic Convoy Disaster - were excellent examples of him doing that.

I did, however, make the mistake of watching the latest Grand Tour episode (Loch Down) this week which was pretty flat :(
I fell asleep watching Lochdown!

Best way; children usually enjoy it once they get past the squeamishness! And gutting/butchering makes for an excellent anatomy lesson :)
Yep! As an educator, I made sure we turned the process into an anatomy lesson. Especially fascinating with hens, where you can see the eggs at multiple stages of development.

Yep for me, it was the shock of seeing the ducks on the table as food. I think if I’been aware that they were going to be dinner I may have had a different reaction.

Now getting hungry thinking about crispy duck from the Chinese.......

Yep for me, it was the shock of seeing the ducks on the table as food. I think if I’been aware that they were going to be dinner I may have had a different reaction.

Now getting hungry thinking about crispy duck from the Chinese.......
My boys are partial to pigeon.

My boys are partial to pigeon.
I’ve eaten a lot of game in my day. My dad used to take us to the Okavango Delta in the 60s long before it became known and we’d camp in the bush for 3 or 4 weeks. He was friendly with lot of professional hunters. Their clients were only interested in the trophy and not the meat. If we were close enough we’d often get a large lump of some animal or another. Made better biltong than cooking from fresh.

I also had a friend (whose dad had a farm) and we’d occasionally go hunting Springbok for the meat. Veeeery nice when marinaded for a couple of days and slow roast.

I sometimes shoot pest pigeons in my garden. Seemed a waste to throw them in the bin & I wanted to harvest the breast meat for our little poodle cross. He goes crazy if he sees my air-rifle or hears the tin of pellets rattle (usually sneaks a few lick of the blood). Wife refuses to let him have it but .......here's the kicker - she buys him a special diet of raw food. No tinned food or kibble for him.:oops: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom