Clarkson's Farm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You think so?
There's certainly a large number of people happy to eat meat, but not wanting to know the harsh reality of how it's produced.
Meat at a supermarket is an easy option, neatly packaged in plastic, no cuddly face or big sad eyes to make the consumer feel any sense of guilt.

Bugger. I was looking forward to it. Warm beer and conversation with my wife it will be then. ☹️
Download it anyway. You might enjoy it even if others did not.
It is clearly staged and partly scripted but it is still an interesting view on what Farmers have to go through.

Never drink warm beer! 🍺😂

Season 2 coming soon and Season 3 in the pipeline......

If an animal was not designed to eat grass and convert it to lovely meat, why does it exist?

A great storyteller. Employs the right scriptwriters and production teams. Brilliant at free PR: "Meghan Markle" indeed.

Did he ever seriously want a restaurant in his own backyard? Of course not.

Seven restaurant staff in the middle of nowhere to serve 24 covers? Let's just get the calculator out....

And all the while he lives in a lovely farm in a lovely area that will be exempt from inheritance tax when he pops his clogs.

"Not that that ever crossed his mind"

Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 15.45.08.png

Did he ever seriously want a restaurant in his own backyard? Of course not.

Seven restaurant staff in the middle of nowhere to serve 24 covers? Let's just get the calculator out....
My suspicion is that it runs a bit deeper than that.

Part of Clarkson's agenda seems to be to highlight the impact of planning rules - and the often arbitrary and inconsistent planning decisions - on rural communities and farmers in particular. For example, Oxfordshire County Council has unilaterally decided that meat is bad, and are using planning decisions (amongst other tactics such as banning meat from the food offerings at council functions) to further that position. He has actually had a great deal of support from farmers in the county as he's given them a loud voice that captures the interest of the public - something that they have been sadly missing - to counter the ideologically driven council planning authority.

My suspicion is that it runs a bit deeper than that.

Part of Clarkson's agenda seems to be to highlight the impact of planning rules - and the often arbitrary and inconsistent planning decisions - on rural communities and farmers in particular. For example, Oxfordshire County Council has unilaterally decided that meat is bad, and are using planning decisions (amongst other tactics such as banning meat from the food offerings at council functions) to further that position. He has actually had a great deal of support from farmers in the county as he's given them a loud voice that captures the interest of the public - something that they have been sadly missing - to counter the ideologically driven council planning authority.
Runs deeper than what?

I’m just saying that he’s a storyteller making a few Bob about telling stories of country life: The Archers with better jokes, ruder language, better video, and dafter accents.

Obviously Councils are there to stop people developing land. Nimbies are noisy.

He’s making a lot of money from storytelling. And why not. He’s a workaholic: he just can’t stop making money

I read the comment as implying it was purely about self-publicity. If that wasn't the intent then I apologise.
No need for apology.

I was trying to say that he's a storyteller who makes his money from storytelling.

IMHO the whole thing is his variation on "The Archers," with no intention to genuinely start a restaurant, or even a farm shop. It's a good story about everyday country folk, but you don't need an HP12C to know that a restaurant on a farm, even a posh one, isn't going to begin to cover any of its costs.

British farms are Inheritance tax avoidance devices. (See Grosvenor, Dyson, and all the other Dukes & Billionaires). They hobble along as farms, not really allowed to turn into anything commercial.

Binged the entire series 2 yesterday. Some of it was hilarious.

The restaurant was a very short lived venture I found out, after doing a Google about it. Apparently, the district council issued a cease and desist notice barely a month after it opened!

The latest in the planning saga:

I absolutely agree with the council's spokesperson that "We understand people may not agree with decisions taken by the council but there is no place for threatening or abusive behaviour", and such is to be roundly condemned as unacceptable.

I would also say that WODC do seem to be conducting some sort of planning vendetta against Clarkson, and perhaps if their decisions were more transparent and logical, then no-one would be minded to subject them to abuse or threats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom