Classic car night.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frank O' Phile

Car
gone
What better way to spend an evening.

img-11.jpg

img-10.jpg

img-9.jpg

img-8.jpg

img-7.jpg

img-6.jpg

img-5.jpg

img-4.jpg

img-3.jpg

img-2.jpg

img-1.jpg

A real mixed bag on show, a point if you can name them and 5 bonus points if you can spot the fake.

The 'Bentley' in photograph 8 would not have been made in the 1930's with disc brakes , nor those little amber indicators - could be modified , or could be fake .

MG 5026 is a looker and a half.. wow

The green Vauxhall Victor estate is the exact same as one my Dad had in 1965 (without the alloys! LOL)

I agree the Bentley is probably the fake... or could it be the Jag... :)

The W.O. is a bitsa probably made from made from something standard steel, mid '50's or early '60's.

The red car, XSL 506, looks wrong too. What is it?

Must be the 'Bentley'. I don't recall '30's Bentleys with orange add-on indicators, telescopic dampers, disc brakes, or a V-configuration engine!

The Porsche Speedster and Lotus 11 would have been the other potential candidates I suppose.

Great meet though - where was it, and can I come next time please?!

I'm thinking the Bentley too - orange indicators as said, and did they have disc brakes? lol

To be honest, the indicators alone don't mean a lot, as they were added in the Sixties and Seventies to many cars that didn't have them fitted originally. The Bradford (FAK 464) has also had them fitted.

I still think it's the 'Bentley' though, or possibly the Frogeye Sprite as they are available as kit cars these days.

It's shown on askmid as a Bentley S1 Sports.

Spotting the fake's easy. That's not the real Father Christmas in the last photo.

The red car, XSL 506, looks wrong too. What is it?

Ask MID says it's a "Triumph Gloria".

Having googled the said Gloria it doesn't look anything like XSL 506

With most pre-war cars like the Gloria, customers could buy just the chassis and either commission coachbuilt bodywork or make their own in their shed. In fact, many manufacturers would only supply the chassis. Alternatively, it could have been re-bodied at some later point in its life.

Similarly, it sounds like the Bentley could be a sports special based on a 1950s S1, in which case it's not really fair to call it a fake (unless it was designed to be passed off as a Thirties Blower).

There are many Bentley Specials out there, some rather better than others. If an S1 though it would have a straight six rather than a V configuration - the V8 came in the S2.

To my mind the Z3 is the fake - it isn't and will never be a classic....

Is that a bullnose Saab two-stroke I can see in the background. Love these cars, my dad used to be the national gearbox expert for stroker Saabs :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom