Votes: 94 71.2%
  • Upgrade wheels or exterior only

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Upgrade seat covering or interior only

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Upgrade anything

Votes: 34 25.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
When it comes to classic cars do you feel it's important for them to retain the original specification such as cloth seats and standard wheels, or is "upgrading" to say leather and or different wheels preferred?

Originality is absolutely paramount with classics because the vast proportion of interested parties are very **** about certain parts/specifications.

I know of a 1970's (I think) Mini Cooper S that was a heap of junk to look at but it was totally original, not a thing was modified or updated in any way and the interest was phenomenal. Sold for about £10k (or thereabouts)

Classic cars on modern wheels is not a look I appreciate. But a new leather interior verses a worn cloth interior can look OK. But having said that, I'd seldom pay a significant premium for a 100% original classic car verses one with a few subtle 'upgrades' for a more sensible price. I guess it depends on the car and price being discussed.

To be clear.
I am talking about adding original upgrade items such as alloy genuine alloy wheels instead of steel ones with trims and leather interior instead of perfectly good condition cloth/velour ones.

As long as the upgrade is period correct,was factory or dealer available, then I have no problem.

If it is a very valuable car, it should retain the upgrades/accessories that it left the factory with :thumb:

Case in point would be late model W113-280SL.
14" Bundt alloys were available, so they can be used.
Same applies to items that may have been dealer installed such as air conditioning, bumper mount fog/driving lights, passenger side mirror, etc....

Last edited:
It depends on the classic.

Subtle and genuine modifications can make an older car much easier to live with, particularly if it's used often or even daily. There are whole industries catering for Morris Minor and MGB modifcations to make them more usable on today's roads.

In the past, I have used my limit knowledge and skills to change useless pump windscreen washers to elecric ones on 60's and 70's BMC / BL cars and it was a real benefit.

What should always be avoided are schemes that destroy the look and feel of a classic. For example, anyone buying this abomination would have no appreciation of what such a car should really be:

1965 Jaguar Mark II 3.8 / 4.5 Litre conversion. | eBay

I prefer original as it left the factory. At the minimum with the original options available to re-fit if desired.

Difficult with interiors. Sometimes simply not possible. So as close as possible would have to do.

It depends on the classic.

Subtle and genuine modifications can make an older car much easier to live with, particularly if it's used often or even daily. There are whole industries catering for Morris Minor and MGB modifcations to make them more usable on today's roads.

In the past, I have used my limit knowledge and skills to change useless pump windscreen washers to elecric ones on 60's and 70's BMC / BL cars and it was a real benefit.

What should always be avoided are schemes that destroy the look and feel of a classic. For example, anyone buying this abomination would have no appreciation of what such a car should really be:

1965 Jaguar Mark II 3.8 / 4.5 Litre conversion. | eBay

I actually have no problem with the Jag you linked to.
Having owned four MKII's, a modern upgrade is great for a daily driver.

No different then what Mechatronik is doing with Mercs.
Very expensive conversions and very desirable:
Engineering

I actually have no problem with the Jag you linked to.
Having owned four MKII's, a modern upgrade is great for a daily driver.

No different then what Mechatronik is doing with Mercs.
Very expensive conversions and very desirable:
Engineering

I had a 1965 3.8S in the 1990's and can certainly understand the need for certain modern upgrades. An XJS power steering conversion would have improved the driving experience enormously.

Regarding the car in the link, almost everything about it is wrong. The engine, the dreadful seats, the horrid console, the wrong profile tyres on the wrong size wheels. They want £45k and it doesn't even sit correctly !

It's been on sale for ages and will be for a lot longer as it's just a nasty pastiche of what a classic car should be.

Do what you like but keep the parts so they can be reinstated if required. Some cars require total originality, others need changes to make them tolerable and others can be a blank canvas.

There are some cars where upgrading from S to SE spec is hardly a sin - unless club concours are done by pedants.

I went with upgrade everything, I like the idea of hunting down rare factory options and retro fitting to make the car a bit different.

I don't mind a few subtle mods on a classic as long as they are in keeping with the year.

I'm personaly not that into highly modified classics, however many would not have been resurected and would have been turned into washing machines long ago if they hadn't found an owner willing to do some serious surgery.

If a car is restored it is no longer original, just 'as' original.
If its modified it could be restored.

Dont forget even things like DB5's and 6's used to be returned to the factory for upgrades and refits or spec changes.

Each to their own!

Another point of view is this,
Is it better to have a pristine original car that does 500 miles a year, or a car made more suitable for purpose that you can do a good few thousand miles in?
I have to tilt my hat to the chaps from Colmworth, I see them out in there Blower Bentley's in all weather, and they give them some stick! Much better than looking at one in a museum

I put keep it original , but it depends what you mean by a Classic Car .

To me , a Classic is something rare and collect able from the 50's or 60's - hence I wouldn't modify a Ponton or Fintail . I might do a colour change , but it would have to be from the original range , similarly I may put radial tyres on in place of cross plies ( in many cases you can get radial replacements in the same sizes ) , could put a stainless exhaust system on to replace a rusty mild steel one . However the car would be kept as close as practical to original spec , so nothing that wouldn't have been available on it when new .

On the other hand , I don't quite look at a W123 , W124 or W126 in the same way . Firstly , there are still loads of them around and secondly , there was a lot of modification done to them when new in a way that just wasn't done a few decades earlier , so with these cars almost anything goes .

I'm simply horrified at the thought of modifying a classic car in even the slightest way. God forbid. These things should be cherished and preserved for the nation.

Then again...

I put keep it original , but it depends what you mean by a Classic Car .

To me , a Classic is something rare and collect able from the 50's or 60's - hence I wouldn't modify a Ponton or Fintail . I might do a colour change , but it would have to be from the original range , similarly I may put radial tyres on in place of cross plies ( in many cases you can get radial replacements in the same sizes ) , could put a stainless exhaust system on to replace a rusty mild steel one . However the car would be kept as close as practical to original spec , so nothing that wouldn't have been available on it when new .

On the other hand , I don't quite look at a W123 , W124 or W126 in the same way . Firstly , there are still loads of them around and secondly , there was a lot of modification done to them when new in a way that just wasn't done a few decades earlier , so with these cars almost anything goes .
I think the number left is the crux. When there are loads available then anything can be done, because there's always another one, but as numbers dwindle it matters more.

Absolutely, Druk. Couldn't agree more.

BTW - which nation would that be? Scottish, Anglish or British?

tongue.gif

I dont mind, period mods are nice. I generally cant stand modern wheels on an old MB, but every now and then they are not so bad.

Interiors, again if its period its cool from my point of view, but then again theres tasteful and otherwise..

I'm simply horrified at the thought of modifying a classic car in even the slightest way. God forbid. These things should be cherished and preserved for the nation.

Then again...

Haha,:D

Like my grandad always said "if you're going to do a job, do it proper and if you don't, don't bother!"

For the sake of keeping the model authentic for historical reasons, unmodified, period or modern for me.

For more of a daily driver car, safety or ease of maintenance mods become more open to consideration. An example might be a brake servo. The handling of a previous Triumph GT6 I owned was much improved/understeer 100% less pronounced with 5 1/2 J wheels and lower profile tyres to match. Also I thought they looked good on the car.

Practical , or safety modifications are OK in my book .

Lots of people fit electronic ignition to older cars to improve reliability , although I have managed fine with adjusting points every now and then .

I fitted a rear fog lamp to the back bumper of my Ponton , but I used the existing bolt which joined the corner section to the centre section of the bumper .

To my shame , when I bought the car 31 years ago ( at which time it would have been the same sort of age as a W124 would be today ) , I fitted a stereo radio/cassette in place of the original radio and cut holes in the door cards to fit loudspeakers . However , I now have another set of door cards to match the interior and still have the original radio , so the car will be going back to original spec when I restore it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom