Votes: 94 71.2%
  • Upgrade wheels or exterior only

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Upgrade seat covering or interior only

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Upgrade anything

Votes: 34 25.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it varies a lot. I also have an 1970's Aston V8 and in the Aston world, engine mods and upgrades are quite common, most DB5's when undergoing restoration have the engine upgraded to 4.2l with electronic ignition and suspension and brake upgrades. It seems that its limited to 'non-visual' upgrades that improve the driving experience, but this in no way seems to affect the sale value (in fact the reverse).

I must say I like the sound of their 'Restauration' ........... does that mean they take you out for a slap up meal when they finish ?

Only if you're in Germany......:bannana:

I think it varies a lot. I also have an 1970's Aston V8 and in the Aston world, engine mods and upgrades are quite common, most DB5's when undergoing restoration have the engine upgraded to 4.2l with electronic ignition and suspension and brake upgrades. It seems that its limited to 'non-visual' upgrades that improve the driving experience, but this in no way seems to affect the sale value (in fact the reverse).

A Ferrari Berlinetta just sold at auction in he USA for 575K sterling.
It had an upgraded engine from a 275GTB.
Listed as "modified" and 2+ condition. :thumb:

What would it have made if it had the original engine and 2+ condition?

Echoing some of the above: There seem to be three distinct markets:

- European traditionalists: Patina and originality are at a premium;

- "US-Style" Concours: Restored to showroom standard, plus.

- Pragmatists: Replace sub-systems where they fail or are weak, with better alternatives, but try to retain the essence of the vehicle.

Prices seem to be highest in the first two categories, driven by "investment", volumes are higher in the latter, driven by, er, drivers. Generally the globalisation of the market driven by the internet has moved the top end of the market away from Patinated towards concours (except in race cars).

The trick would seem to be to decide which the car is and therefore look after it accordingly.

After paying £12m at auction for his Ferarri 250 GTO, Chris Evans had it painted white ...

I've been watching the poll with interest, it's either keep it original, or anything goes.

The Daily Telegraph has kindly provided the answer.

Those with a nervous disposition look away now... ;)

ClassiccarsDt220913_zps15301803.jpg

Well if it makes any difference I went for the 216 breathing leather on the inserts of my new covers for the 124 Cabriolet. But I also got an original set. :)

What do you all think...?

Last edited:
I think that is OK as the original covers were leather.

Im with RBYCC... if it was an option its ok...

A lot depends on the car... I think upgrading with factory options on a W123 or W126 adds value and desirabilty... On a Gullwing i think the car should be kept as it left the factory for value and preservation of originality...

If you buy a mod through Mercedes-Benz, like my seat covers, does that make it ok...?

No

If you involve spec from a different model unless it serves an essential mechanical purpose, you debase the originality and value of the car.

Just as well I got an original set as well then!

To be honest I wasn't sure how it would look, but I remember feeling underwhelmed at first sight of the perforations in the 124; I had a Stag prior to that and they had a deep basket weave material, you can always do with extra venting in leather during a hot summer and when that CL material came along I thought I'll have a piece of that. MB were good enough to do a set for me - nice ay!!

If you involve spec from a different model unless it serves an essential mechanical purpose, you debase the originality and value of the car.

That is the reason I was asking.

My current cars have deep pipe velour, but I have the option on fitting an excellent condition leather interior, which for very early ones are now hard to get.
I'm not a huge fan of sitting on leather, but it does look nice, though wasn't an option on this car.
The original option wheels I will add as they look fantastic and can easily be reversed back to the also fantastic wheel trims.

I've not voted in the poll as it was for my information, but am happy with the result so far. There are less cars left in the spec I have than the higher specced leathered version, so I think keeping them original is more important.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom