Classic Car show NEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
My Mog owning neighbour has prevailed on me to come along. On previous occasions I've gone on the Saturday and found queues bad coming from the M42. To more regular participants, is Friday better and is there are back route in that beats the main motorway rush?

Coming from the south, it may be worth approaching via the A45, but you will almost certainly have to queue on the A45/M42/NEC roundabout.

The train is a more relaxing way to get there.

On your return route I recommend: A45, A4177 towards Balsall Common, A46 then joins M40 at J15.

If you can convince your neighbour, get there early and leave early.

Both of us are early birds.

Friday vs the other 2 days - less crowded or pretty much the same?

Just get there Sunday like the rest of us....:D

Another good reason to go on the Friday! :)

friday is much quieter than saturday or sunday.

which ever route you go, you have to approach via M42 jn 6 a45 junction. However, if you go to warwick parkway train station, you can catch a 25 minute train to the international station which is at the nec.
I'll be there saturday & sunday as I'm manning a club stand, but with exhibitor pass I can get in from 7am and walk round in total peace & quiet.

Can someone explain to me the logic of charging to park a car when going to the NEC? There is a bloody great big car park built for the NEC, owned by the NEC, and they want you to pay to go in and pay to park?

I can't be the only person who think this is taking the piss

Nick Froome

bolide said:
Can someone explain to me the logic of charging to park a car when going to the NEC? There is a bloody great big car park built for the NEC, owned by the NEC, and they want you to pay to go in and pay to park? I can't be the only person who think this is taking the piss Nick Froome

It's to encourage car sharing and public transport due to the vast numbers of people that come to shows at the NEC. Roads are already gridlocked at the bigger shows, but car parks are squeezed too. Good old fashioned price-based crowd control... It makes many local brummies use the train for a start!

Can someone explain to me the logic of charging to park a car when going to the NEC? There is a bloody great big car park built for the NEC, owned by the NEC, and they want you to pay to go in and pay to park?

I can't be the only person who think this is taking the piss

Nick Froome

Was there two weeks ago at the Caravan Show. Free parking and £7.00 entrance. Take your donkey ears with you :D

Captive audience, and everyone pays it, so they keep charging it.

Used to be £8, last time it was £10.

Annoying, but if you don't like it, take the train!!!

It is frustrating, greedy and profiteering......... but then again, show me a large organsiation that isn't.

Anyway, anyone who is at the NEC. Find the Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Register stand. I'm Alan, I'm the Chairman, come and say hello and if you ask really nicely, you may even get a cuppa!
Ill be on the stand Saturday and Sunday. If you show up Friday, I'm guessing the response will be a cup of tea as a reward for missing me!

Compared to parking at Earls Court it is paradise, but the NEC really is a horrible relic of 70s Britain, the lighting in most halls is rotten, the smell of greasy food is foul and the layout absurd.

Tickets booked for the Friday, I think we'll do the Warwick train parking option - it saves that slow crawl in and out.

Completely agree with your critique Charles, it could and should be a much better experience for visitors and exhibitors but regardless I hope you have an enjoyable day.

It is quite an expensive show time you parked the car and bought a ticket. I agree the with Charles regarding the halls and the food smells.

Actually the food is rubbish too....so why bother?

The show is normally quite good for the petrol heads and we always meet up with mates on the official club stand, so it's usually worth the trip.

This is a thread full of the joys! C'mon boys rally your spirits!

I'm just really happy that all these cars will be gathered in one place... I think it's good value all things considered - expect joys and pics.

I'm visiting the Morgan factory on the Friday to meet my new car so I might as well pop in on the NEC while I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom