Classic Mercedes: Replacement Fluids & Additives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Screwdriver

Spent alot of time researching fluids for my W115/ W123 over the past decade, so thought I'd share here with links for anyone interested in preventative maintenance for their Classic(s):

1) Engine Oil: This one has been discussed to death but I will share that I find that Liqui Moly's 15w40 MOS2 engine oil suits my Classics better. More specifically, idle noise is lower and low speed acceleration is smoother.

2) Manual Transmission fluid: Mercedes continues to insist on Automatic Transmission fluid Type A Suffix A. This is very hard to find in smaller quantities. Fortunately, Lube Finder sells 1L Shell Spirax bottles (2 Litres needed). I use Liqui Moly's MOS2 gear oil additive for notably smoother shifts (40 g needed).

3) Power Steering fluid: Interestingly, Mercedes has historically recommended ATF for the power steering fluid pre 90's but switched to specialized PS fluid in the W124. I believe Kent Bergsma's hypothesis is accurate in that PS fluid is likely more protective than standard ATF. I went with the Febi non-synthetic fluid on my cars

4) Rear Differential fluid: Mercedes rear diffs need a Hypoid GL5 75W90 fluid. I went with a fully synthetic Liqui Moly fluid.

5) Additives: I've had incredible results using these 4 additives only and have found most others to underachieve if at all. A quick search will show you I'm not the only one to have noticed these results and it's important to use them as instructed

AUTO-RX: When added to all 4 of the above fluids, using the exact application instructions over the past 15 years, I've measured increases in compression, elimination of blowby and fluid leaks, alongwith the associated benefits that come along from these improvements. 2X bottles in the motor oil.

CHEVRON TECHRON: Available for petrol or diesel, this American additive is the only tank added product that delivers noticeable improvements regardless of fuel type. I use one bottle every year before the winter.

SEAFOAM (Petrol only): When sprayed lightly through the intake manifold and allowed to soak on the pistons, this product drastically reduced carbon buildup in the combustion chamber on my vehicles, and improved throttle response substantially. I don't recommend adding this in the tank for diesel vehicles because of the potential for damaging perishable fuel pump components, based on mixed feedback.

DIESEL PURGE (Diesel only): When I ran two bottles as part of a closed loop system in my diesel vehicles, I've noticed substantial increases in smoothness, throttle response, economy and reduction in exhaust smoke. This works especially well if your fuel system has been neglected.

Hope these help (and that this thread doesn't spark another oil debate!)

Last edited:
I just averaged 32.5 mpg US (exceeded 40 mpg UK) on a 1000 mile roadtrip in the W123 300D Automatic. Measured with recorded numbers attached. Not bad for a 38 year old car!

On a pre-99 MB diesel, I recommend the following 10 steps to achieve this:

1. Diesel Purge (2X bottles) - Closed fuel loop. Not in the tank. (Link above)
2. Auto-RX Engine Treatment (2X bottles) - follow the instructions to the letter (Link above)
3. Aluminium "Steelie" wheels - Made by Mercedes and look just like the steel wheels but weigh half as much. (Classics only)
4. Use 15W40 Liqui Moly MOS2 Engine Oil & Genuine MB filters - Only after completing all instructions for #2
5. Low rolling resistance tyres (eg. Continental EcoContact6 175/80 R14 for 4 cylinder motors) @ 31 psi tyre pressure.
6. New Monark/ Bosio fuel injector nozzles - (if service history is unknown).
7. Rebuild Diesel Lifter Pump and replace OFV spring - DieselFuelInjectorGuru does this service.
8. Rear Differential fluid: Mercedes rear diffs need a Hypoid GL5 75W90 fluid. I went with a fully synthetic Liqui Moly fluid.
9. Chevron Techron Diesel system additive in the tank after completing #1 every oil change.
10. 60-65 mph motorway speed. Never exceed this.

Attachments

• 287685343_10159806741078744_4461650028102355493_n.jpg
    287685343_10159806741078744_4461650028102355493_n.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom