Classic or money pit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think fibreglass would save weight, but aluminium would.

I still wonder about an electric A class project car. Just too much other work to do...
FG does save weight but doesn't add much in the way of structure. I'd hope that a classic MB has enough rigidity to carry it off.

You probably know my opinion on these things but I like the idea of replacing all the panels with FG replicas (to avoid rust and reduce weight) then convert to electric! ;)

That's how to upset not just the purists but practically everyone!

Sounds like too much work and expense for very little return. In theory it would be good, but then again where would you get the electric motor from? I don't think a golf cart or milk float would be a desirable vehicle for a donor car. Are there any electric engine/motor makers?

Sounds like too much work and expense for very little return. In theory it would be good, but then again where would you get the electric motor from? I don't think a golf cart or milk float would be a desirable vehicle for a donor car. Are there any electric engine/motor makers?
The motor isn't the problem, there is lots of choice in that area as they are not specific to cars but applicable everywhere. Siemens is a good choice :)

The motor isn't the problem, there is lots of choice in that area as they are not specific to cars but applicable everywhere. Siemens is a good choice :)

It does sound like a novel project idea...... but we're talking about very deep pockets to see it through aren't we?

It does sound like a novel project idea...... but we're talking about very deep pockets to see it through aren't we?
A much better idea is to pick up a classic like that, strip it back to the metal, have all the bodywork and structure welded and repaired, full respray in something other than powder-blue (a pearl white would be nice!) and while it's in bits have the engine and transmission swapped for a mid-90s C280 I6 with 5-speed auto box (pick up a C280 for a couple of grand off ebay).

Fix up the interior and put it all back together again. You then have a fairly low-maintenance, period-looking car with no road tax, enough performance to keep up with traffic etc. Makes sense!

A much better idea is to pick up a classic like that, strip it back to the metal, have all the bodywork and structure welded and repaired, full respray in something other than powder-blue (a pearl white would be nice!) and while it's in bits have the engine and transmission swapped for a mid-90s C280 I6 with 5-speed auto box (pick up a C280 for a couple of grand off ebay).

Fix up the interior and put it all back together again. You then have a fairly low-maintenance, period-looking car with no road tax, enough performance to keep up with traffic etc. Makes sense!

Now I like the sound of that.............. :devil: A kind of MBClub pimp my ride sort of car. The road tax thing, doesn't that apply to pre-72 cars?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-280-...hash=item320278723463&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318 Right colour?

Last edited:
Is that easy to do DM? (I don't mean correcting the typo I mean installing the turbodiesel)

As easy as any other newer engine. If going for a mechanical controlled pump it's dead easy, no ECU to bother about.
I'd try to get a 3.0 multivalve turbo from Germany and go from there.

Not quite as easy as the typo correction though..:)

As easy as any other newer engine. If going for a mechanical controlled pump it's dead easy, no ECU to bother about.

The turbos too close to the steering box?

The turbos too close to the steering box?

Not sure, I don't think so as it fits in a C250TD. More likely some exhaust work is required, which was the change on the W210.

I don't think the engineering issues were what stopped the W124 and early W210 being offered as turbo to UK customers. I think it was a marketing excercise.

Maybe something to think about for a future project. Thank you :)

Not sure, I don't think so as it fits in a C250TD. More likely some exhaust work is required, which was the change on the W210.

I don't think the engineering issues were what stopped the W124 and early W210 being offered as turbo to UK customers. I think it was a marketing excercise.

With a 210 the steering rack solved the problem, the 210s without turbos are dreadfully slow cars....

With a 210 the steering rack solved the problem, the 210s without turbos are dreadfully slow cars....

They feel slower than they are. 0-62 is 10.5s iirc.

what I meant was the turbo wasn't offered in the UK even after the w210 was launched. It was offered at the same time as the C250 turbo, which retained the steering box.

Think about it this way, if a W124 can have twin turbo then there's no reason it can't be worked in, in fact TB turbos offered a turbo conversion for RHD diesel engined cars.

The exhaust just needs a nice curve same as a W210.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom