clay bar before or after

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roobler

Car
C220
Hi all,

So I recently bought a clay bar and some detailing spray and I noticed that unless I really give the residue a good rub I cannot remove it. Does anyone clean their car after using a clay bar just to remove all the leftover spray or do I just need to apply some more elbow grease?

Clean the car first.

Then use the clay with plenty of lube and keep folding it in on itself. It doesn't need much force, just do it in small areas.

I don't usually wash it afterwards, just keep constantly wiping down the areas I've completed

I put the glaze on after using a clay mit, and that usually removes any residue before the wax goes over it.

Roobler

The best way to clay a car with the plan of inducing as little marring or scratching as possible would be to

Snow foam car 1st
Wash the car 2nd
Then use a product such as iron x to remove as much fallout contamination as possible
Then de tar the paint work
Before claying the paint

After claying be sure to check for any marring from the clay bar and finish with a hand or machine polish and then a last step protection such as wax, sealant or nano coating.

Daz

looks like a long process

It is, but it turns rough paint into glass.

If you’re smudging you’re not using enough lube. Don’t let the bar touch anywhere that isn’t wet with lube.

Me personally, to do it properly if the car is in a bad state can take 2 days start to finish.

Wash car, twice if need be.
Clay bar, plenty of detailing spray.
Once all the detailing liquid has been wiped clean, polish the car, with a machine of need be.
Wipe clean and then you can use a protector liquid to coat the paintwork for a season.

Many different companies do all the washing/cleaning/detailing products. I tend to buy Autoglym or Meguires when they're on a special offer.

Used a clay bar for several years and the finish they achieve is astounding. Last time I tried a clay mitt (Farecla G3 Body Prep Clay Mitt) much easier to use, very impressed and TBH I thought did just a good a job as a clay bar, but accept that a professional detailer or someone with more skill may do better with a traditional bar.

Mitt or bar - wash first - use plenty of lube, with the mitt I used a fresh clean but weak mix water and Megs Gold Class.

Me personally, to do it properly if the car is in a bad state can take 2 days start to finish.

Wash car, twice if need be.
Clay bar, plenty of detailing spray.
Once all the detailing liquid has been wiped clean, polish the car, with a machine of need be.
Wipe clean and then you can use a protector liquid to coat the paintwork for a season.

Many different companies do all the washing/cleaning/detailing products. I tend to buy Autoglym or Meguires when they're on a special offer.

Agree with you on the time required. When I bought a Morgan (which is not a large car) took me three days to clean , clay and wax. It did look very nice when I'd finished :thumb:

I did a full detail on my old black mk2 Golf GTI once and the clay bar definitely made a huge difference. From memory I can’t remember any marks being left, just wiped off extra fluid while I was doing each section, then I got the rotary on it. Definitely didn’t wash between stages though. Would just be putting waxes back on that you are trying to strip with the clay before you put on fresh wax at the end.

A well known (on here) detailer I’m friends with recommended I used soapy water instead of lube. Literally half a bucket with a good mix of shampoo. Made claying so much easier and quicker.

This was after I’d washed the car so I just rinsed and dried. If you use a quick detailer as lubrication you’ll most likely need to wash the car after.

A well known (on here) detailer I’m friends with recommended I used soapy water instead of lube. Literally half a bucket with a good mix of shampoo. Made claying so much easier and quicker.

This was after I’d washed the car so I just rinsed and dried. If you use a quick detailer as lubrication you’ll most likely need to wash the car after.
Ditto but .....Get a good quality shampoo that gives good lubrication......

I was using Dodo Juice Born to be Mild which worked well, obviously half a bucketful but with a decent amount of shampoo as you haven't got to worry about it stripping wax if you're claying it'll do that anyway.

Just so much easier than using quick detailer to clay though. Was genuinely a revelation as I've always found claying to be utterly tedious. Held the wash mitt at the top of the panel so plenty of water and cracked on. Also if you're claying in the summer it means the panel is less likely to dry out. Also when I've used quick detailer I've ended up getting through a lot of it so it's a cheaper way to do it as well. :)

I would recommend meguires clay bar brilliant stuff, plenty lube little bits at a time, then polish then wax after washing it first of course, u think ur cars clean after washing it and a polish until you put a clay bar on it and then u realise it wasnt clean wen you see the dirt on the bar. Takes a good 1-2 days of elbow grease for good results. Well worth it wen you see the finished car. You’l end up keep peeking out house window to have a glimpse at it shining (or that just me )

I was using Dodo Juice Born to be Mild which worked well, obviously half a bucketful but with a decent amount of shampoo as you haven't got to worry about it stripping wax if you're claying it'll do that anyway.

Just so much easier than using quick detailer to clay though. Was genuinely a revelation as I've always found claying to be utterly tedious. Held the wash mitt at the top of the panel so plenty of water and cracked on. Also if you're claying in the summer it means the panel is less likely to dry out. Also when I've used quick detailer I've ended up getting through a lot of it so it's a cheaper way to do it as well. :)
Nice tip for the lube as i went through aload of detailer wen i clayed mine.

I would recommend meguires clay bar brilliant stuff, plenty lube little bits at a time, then polish then wax after washing it first of course, u think ur cars clean after washing it and a polish until you put a clay bar on it and then u realise it wasnt clean wen you see the dirt on the bar. Takes a good 1-2 days of elbow grease for good results. Well worth it wen you see the finished car. You’l end up keep peeking out house window to have a glimpse at it shining (or that just me )

I'm into Day 1 with the clay bar on the C63. Agree on time , I think it will be at least 2 days and maybe another to sort the wheels out. Well worth the effort though the car looks and feels great. It amazing how smooth the paint feel since its been clayed.

Nice tip for the lube as i went through aload of detailer wen i clayed mine.

It really was a revelation when I tried it. I'd always really loathed claying the car, just faffing about with quick detailer, let alone wasting it and on a hot panel it drying out more.

Using the shampoo mix just meant there was loads of lubricant and made it way quicker (and cheaper). I was able to wash, polish, clay, seal and wax the car within the day. Admittedly a long day but that tip saved a fair bit of time. :)

Deal on here for Mini Clay Cloth and Lube

Car Cleaning With The Clay Cloth | The Clay Cloth Company

1000x563.png

Looks good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom