Clay bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuA45AMG

Car
A45 AMG
Thinking about using a clay bar for the first time any recommendations on which one and where to buy from

I'd suggest the Bilt Hamber one.

Bilt-Hamber-Auto-Clay.jpg

Keep it wet. If you drop it, bin it. :)

I'd suggest the Bilt Hamber one.

Bilt-Hamber-Auto-Clay.jpg

Keep it wet. If you drop it, bin it. :)

I second this. Great product as you can use water with it rather than detailing spray. Just make sure you use lots of water and take your time. Don't push hard and rub it just move it across the paint and let the clay do the work. You will be amazed at the results and how dirty the clay gets from a 'clean' car!

As above regarding dropping it. I cut mine up into four pieces as i knew i would at some point.

Last edited:
+3 on the clay mitt. G3 was the one I bought and compared to the clay bars it is so much quicker and easier to use.

+ 4 for the clay mitt. Although Bilt Hamber is also good and half the price of Maguires

I have both!

Clay clothes are very easy to use, convenient and can be washed/reused, but in my experience it doesn't do as good a job as the clay bar.

Bilt Hamber clay bar has been my preferred option for some years. It comes in 3 grades, hard, medium and soft. Having used them all, I prefer the soft, since my car are kept clean and don't get too dirty before re-washing.

The clay bar is my preferred choice for the 6 month detail and re-wax (I use hard clay on friends cars which haven't had the same level of care and attention). The cloth is good for interim washes to get light contamination off the car.

As mentioned, it always amazes me how much muck you take off a clean car. Remember if you prepping the paintwork for refinishing that you want to take as much of the contamination off the car before you clay. This means washing, detar, fallout removal before you finish prepping the paintwork.

Also ensure you then have time to apply the polish/glaze/wax/sealant of your choice to prevent damaging the virgin paintwork when you head out on the road.

Take your time and enjoy.

regards, Neil

Thanks to all for the advice:thumb:

I dropped mine bout 5 times :( spent £35 on it and dident want to throw it away so i carried on using it lol, thankfully not on a merc. Just a little heads up, not a good idea from which I learnt after it left lots of scratches.

+however many for the Bilt Hamber - cheap, 1/4 of the bar does the complete car then the wheels before you bin it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom