Clay baring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Myclk55amg

Car
Mercedes clk 55 amg
Is this clay baring your car all its cracked up to be?

Yes.. Run your hand over your paint before claying, it will feel rough. Clay it and try again, it's like glass!

Yes it is mate. You will never, ever achieve the perfect gloss finish to your cars paint until all contaminants have been removed, using a clay bar of varying " cut" will remove the deep embeded crap in your paint.
If you dont fancy the clay bar route, try a good fallout remover such as Iron X or Red 7, they do an excellent job too.

Yes, honestly, as said with a perfectly clean car, run your fingers over the paint. I had a video showing it once but lost it now, you could actually hear my fingers move over the paint, then after claying, it's absolutely glass-like.

Another yes for me. It preps the paint ready for polishing and as said will leave a glass smooth finish.

I was talking about this with Ed at Divine Detail as I always found claying a lengthy boring process. He recommended using soapy water rather than quick detailer. An abundance of lubricant makes it so much easier and quicker.

Lots of time and effort but we'll worth it for the glass like finish you get.
Mine due for doing again.
I got the Maguires kit just make sure to use plenty of the lubricant

It all depends on the condition of your paintwork of cause but as said, once you've done it you won't recognise your own car [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

use plenty of the lubricant

I just use water with a drop or two of washing up liquid rather than buying anything. The WUL gets rid of the surface tension so that the water will "wet" the surface. Without that, water alone won't lubricate very well and the bar will grab.

I use washing up liquid and blue tac!!!

Grab a Clay Cloth or Clay Mitt for a swifter experience. These are 1st class products and far superior to cheap chinese copies!

2000x1500.JPG

https://www.theclayclothcompany.co.uk/ourshop/prod_5548903-A-Clay-Mitt-Solar.html

Claying your car is not the 'be all and end all'

It's just part of the prep of a cleaning process to get the best finish to your paintwork

I use Bilt Hamber Regular clay and a 3M clay mitt with a bucket of soapy water for lube

Last year after buying an '07 A-Class for my wife I started on the roof and the clay mitt wouldn't touch it - I ended up with clay in my left hand and the mitt on my right came up a treat

IMG_2905_zps7fyta8zi.jpg

Once it's done the mitt is quick and easy but for stubborn grime clay is the way

:)

Last edited:
Clay Mitt
Wax
Seal

Car looks awesome afterwards and then relatively easy to just jet wash weekly grime off, chamois and then use quick detailer to top the shine up though not really needed.

Cannot clay for toffee.

Will definitely tray the washing-up-liquid tip. Always thought washing up liquid was the devil for car bodywork but guess if moving on to

• cut
  • polish
  • seal
  • wax
it is less of an issue.

This is the plan for summer.

Thanks all about tips about clay mitts, had not realised they existed. I'm sure I'd never have the patience for claying this car but might try the mitt.

I can't imagine ever trying this, I'm a clumsy oaf and would need several bars per panel due to the number of times it would be dropped on the floor.

Yes worth the effort once or twice per year. The first time you might need the clay bar but after that the mitt is so easy! I could do the whole car in 15 mins compared to about an hour with the clay bar. So with the mitt, you might then you could do it once a quarter because it's not so onerous.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Myclk55amg, just a quick question does clay baring add scratches to the finish meaning that ideally the car would need to be machined after claying.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Myclk55amg, just a quick question does clay baring add scratches to the finish meaning that ideally the car would need to be machined after claying.

Not if used properly and with plenty of lubricant (water is ok as lube with the Bilt Hamber bars)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom